• Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Happy Renting

Tyre Pressure Monitors

There are a number of Tyre Pressure Monitor systems on the market.

Valve caps are replaced with a small battery-powered pressure sensors that transmit to a receiver/display on the car dash.

Has anyone any experience with them, and are there any problems with them?

Also, any recommendations?

Ive read that the extra weight from the valve cap replacements can cause balance issues, or even cause the valve to rip.Some even rust and sieze on to the valve, but iirc they were LED only.

Read reviews carefully is my advice.

Posted (edited)

I can't remember for how long, and I'd say during all my 35 years of motoring, but I've never in the last 15 years at least, had a tyre lose pressure unless it had a puncture when it was obvious. So, i've never had to put air into a tyre to top it up.

So, what purpose are pressure monitors ?

Edited by Hopeful

I wasn't going to pitch in but in response to @Hopeful I have them on my car and they do have value.

They are not tyre specific and are set by holding down the button once I've pumped up the tyres; they have a reasonably high tolerance and tend to come on the first hot day of the year after the tyres have warned up, and the first cold day after the car has been sitting idle outside.  They give me the nod to check them all and adjust accordingly.

There have however been two circumstances where it wasn't so routine:

A sidewall bulge had developed that I hadn't noticed.

A particular tyre that was slowly leaking air because the seal with the alloy wasn't perfect and it required pumping up every few days until I took it to be taken off, the alloy properly ground, and refitted. End of problem.

Posted (edited)
47 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

I wasn't going to pitch in but in response to @Hopeful I have them on my car and they do have value.

They are not tyre specific and are set by holding down the button once I've pumped up the tyres; they have a reasonably high tolerance and tend to come on the first hot day of the year after the tyres have warned up, and the first cold day after the car has been sitting idle outside.  They give me the nod to check them all and adjust accordingly.

There have however been two circumstances where it wasn't so routine:

A sidewall bulge had developed that I hadn't noticed.

A particular tyre that was slowly leaking air because the seal with the alloy wasn't perfect and it required pumping up every few days until I took it to be taken off, the alloy properly ground, and refitted. End of problem.

Perhaps I have a rubber fettish, as I always give my tyres a cursory glance so I'd notice any problems.

That it might be a fettish is because I always look at other people's tyres and I am staggered at how many cars have bald or illegal rubber, or flat.

I also, habitually, give the GFs spare tyre a cursory glance every evening and often raise an eyebrow at the state of it.

I must admit I never bother adjusting tyre pressures at the onset of winter as I don't think our winters are cold enough and so I assume the tyres will warm, and the air in them expand through driving. I could be wrong

Edited by Hopeful

2 minutes ago, Hopeful said:

Perhaps I have a rubber fettish, as I always give my tyres a cursory glance so I'd notice any problems.

That it might be a fettish is because I always look at other people's tyres and I am staggered at how many cars have bald or illegal rubber.

I also, habitually, give the GFs spare tyre a cursory glance every evening and often raise an eyebrow at the state of it.

I must admit I never bother adjusting tyre pressures at the onset of winter as I don't think our winters are cold enough and so I assume the tyres will warm, and the air in them expand through driving. I could be wrong

And you are still managing to post.  Do you take your meals through a straw?  

1 minute ago, Chewing Grass said:

For idiots (gender neutral) and people with ultra-low profile rubber.

I've never had ultra low profile tyres, the GF did once, but that is a thing of the past, unfortunately. Perhaps i should get one of these

s-l300.jpg

10 minutes ago, MrPin said:

Why don't you just look at your wheels to see if any are a bit flat?

Problem is, they only go flat at the bottom. The rest of the tyre is fine. I usually think they are thus ok to drive on. 

I have three concerns, but did not mention them in my OP as I wanted to see if anyone had actually experienced problems.

1 ) Weight. The sensors must weigh a few g, and might upset the wheel balance. A solution would be to have the wheel balanced with the sensor fitted.

2) The sensors might be vulnerable to damage. Worst case, damage while still holding the valve open, causing rapid deflation.

3) The sensors presumably work by holding the valve open, relying on the seal formed by screwing the sensor onto the valve thread (and, I would hope, there would be an intenal sealing washer in the sensor). This might be prone to leaks.

20 minutes ago, Happy Renting said:

I have three concerns, but did not mention them in my OP as I wanted to see if anyone had actually experienced problems.

1 ) Weight. The sensors must weigh a few g, and might upset the wheel balance. A solution would be to have the wheel balanced with the sensor fitted.

2) The sensors might be vulnerable to damage. Worst case, damage while still holding the valve open, causing rapid deflation.

3) The sensors presumably work by holding the valve open, relying on the seal formed by screwing the sensor onto the valve thread (and, I would hope, there would be an intenal sealing washer in the sensor). This might be prone to leaks.

I thought all cars have had tyre pressure monitors built in for decades.

1 minute ago, Hail the Tripod said:

I thought all cars have had tyre pressure monitors built in for decades.

No, but I have a proper spare wheel.