• Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
the gardener

Boycott EU products

All Leave voters and other lovers of democracy really need to boycott EU goods to the greatest extent possible.

Every £1 diverted from the EU to either UK or non-EU producers has an immediate and powerful impact. Don't kid yourselves that it's not effective. It sends a direct signal that cannot be ignored. Of course individually it has a tiny effect but collectively  the impact is massive.

Imagine 10 million people diverting just £3 per day/£21 per week/£90 per month/£1095 per year - that's £30m per day, £210m per week, £900m per month or £10.95bn per year lost to the EU. This is a huge impact.

If the money is diverted to UK producers then its a double-whammy against the EU - they lose and we gain.

Let us all do our patriotic duty.

Edited by the gardener

2 minutes ago, the gardener said:

All Leave voters and other lovers of democracy really need to boycott EU goods to the greatest extent possible.

Every £1 diverted from the EU to either UK or non-EU producers has an immediate and powerful impact. Don't kid yourselves that it's not effective. It sends a direct signal that cannot be ignored. Of course individually it has a tiny effect but collectively  the impact is massive.

Imagine 10 million people diverting just £3 per day/£21 per week/£90 per month/£1095 per year - that's £30m per day, £210m per week, £900m per month or £10.95bn per year lost to the EU. This is a huge impact.

If the money is diverted to UK producers then its a double-whammy against the EU - they lose and we gain.

Can I start tomorrow?  I’ve just bought some Roquefort for my tea. :)

18 minutes ago, the gardener said:

A bit tricky where I live but I'll be with you all in spirit! 

Proper Stilton better than Rocquefort anyway, though I like both.

17 minutes ago, swiss_democracy_for_all said:

A bit tricky where I live but I'll be with you all in spirit! 

Proper Stilton better than Rocquefort anyway, though I like both.

You must get that Emmenthal. It's like regular cheese, but I have to point out, the holes aren't real cheese, but air.

17 minutes ago, Bus Stop Boxer said:

Im checking everything, have been for a while.

Cheese and wine are a piece of piss.

Lager is tricky, as is chocolate.

Any tips?

Yes, drink bitter you piss-drinking girly. 😁

Seriously - there must be many alternatives out there. A lager brewed under license in the UK is an ok option.

I was very partial to a Paulaner or Spaten, both very good Munich beers but other beers are available. I do most of my drinking in my local and always choose UK produced bitter so I'm certainly not suffering.

Edited by the gardener

1 minute ago, MrPin said:

You must get that Emmenthal. It's like regular cheese, but I have to point out, the holes aren't real cheese, but air.

Bloody rip off. Charging for air. It’ll be better when we are out. They won’t be allowed to sell us cheese filled with air then. 

1 minute ago, One percent said:

Bloody rip off. Charging for air. It’ll be better when we are out. They won’t be allowed to sell us cheese filled with air then. 

Swissland not proper EU.

53 minutes ago, MrPin said:

I'll buy English olives and Welsh Chardonnay then.

It would not surprise me to see Welsh Chardonnay. There are many many very good English wines out there. South Wales could very easily become a wine growing region with it's climate.

My tomatoes of choice from Lidl are grown in County Durham of all places. Available almost all year round.

And don't attack me for shopping in Lidl - they employ lots of Brits and source many products from the UK.

Edited by the gardener

10 minutes ago, Libspero said:

As do many British supermarkets.. ;)

The likes of Tesco and Sainsbury’s rip off both the consumer and the producer. I try and avoid both. 

I like Morrisons but shopping there is a moral dilemma. 40 miles round trip or walk to Lidl. 

Setting aside the question of whether or not economic sanctions ever actually work, it's actually pretty difficult to find anything European made other than cars to buy as a consumer here in North America.

2 hours ago, Bus Stop Boxer said:

Im checking everything, have been for a while.

Cheese and wine are a piece of piss.

Lager is tricky, as is chocolate.

Any tips?

Willy’s Cacao for chocolate. Harvested in South America and made into chocolate in the UK. 

Lager, eh- loads are made here but the profits go elsewhere. Maybe just brew your own or buy from a local craft brewer.

2 minutes ago, Carl Fimble said:

Willy’s Cacao for chocolate. Harvested in South America and made into chocolate in the UK. 

Lager, eh- loads are made here but the profits go elsewhere. Maybe just brew your own or buy from a local craft brewer.

Hotel chocolate is superb. And British. 👍

Like @swiss_democracy_for_all, not sure I can successfully participate in this. I did just find that they sell PG Tips, marmite and HP sauce in Tesco here but: 

1. It's Tesco so I shop there rarely. 

2. Not sure any of those products are British any more. 

I did though tell my wife that I wouldn't be considering any clothes in Superdry, even if they were 90% off. Ended up with a choice between C&A and M&S (not sure I'd class either of those as British either!)