• Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

JoeDavola

House Near a Pylon

Quick question - how do the DOSBODDERS feel about buying a house near a pylon?

There was one for sale that when I looked was 130m from a pyon, and there was research that showed a 70% higher chance of childhood leukemia if you are within 200m.

I figure surely buying a house within that range is just fraught with risk, i.e. some people at least will notice it and think twice about buying it, or perhaps even some more science will come out in the future that will prove further that there is a cancer risk in which case you're fucked if you're trying to sell.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/4602315.stm

3 minutes ago, JoeDavola said:

There was one for sale that when I looked was 130m from a pyon, and there was research that showed a 70% higher chance of childhood leukemia if you are within 200m.

I figure surely buying a house within that range is just fraught with risk, i.e. some people at least will notice it and think twice about buying it, or perhaps even some more science will come out in the future that will prove further that there is a cancer risk in which case you're fucked if you're trying to sell.

Nope. Not in a million years. It might be that there is no detrimental effect but enough people will not want to take the chance that when you are selling it on, it will be to a much reduced pool of buyers. 

They look fug ugly too. 

4 minutes ago, JoeDavola said:

that was in 2005, new EU HD electricity is totally safe, junker told me so himself when i found him rolling around in his own sick in a gutter in Brussels.

5 minutes ago, JoeDavola said:

Im not a Oh 5g! Gives you cancer type but id stear well away from high voltage pylons.

One, there is some research on high voltage emf is bad for you.

Two, the electro static charge seems to concentrate air pollutants.

Three, you might get a frizzled, metal stealing pikey thru your roof.

Different story for 70+.

Under 40? Nah

1 minute ago, Frank Hovis said:

I wouldn't as you regularly get stories in the papers from people saying that the electrity has been making them unwell: headaches, can't sleep.

All fairly low level stuff admittedly but bad enough and reported often enough that I would never consider living near one.

Agreed.

Just needed you lot to confirm what I already thought.

It was a lovely house in some ways and my parents were really keen on me buying it and might give me a lot of shit for being this fussy, but as soon as I saw the pylon behind it in the EA's photo, I was suspicious. Brilliant the way you can just go on google maps now and have an accurate measurement of distance from something like that in seconds.

1 minute ago, MrPin said:

I wouldn't buy it as I am a radio ham, and it would interrrupt my reception. All the cancer would come from my transmitters.:CryBaby:

Duh, like it does?

Ten four. 

Not a clue what that means but isn’t it something you all say to each other?  o.O

Looked at a house once, it was perfect apart from being under the wires between two pylons. Went to see it three times, each time I had to leave due to having an excruciating headache.

Just now, One percent said:

Ten four. 

Not a clue what that means but isn’t it something you all say to each other?  o.O

You have been on 27 MHz? This is CB where you can do it with no licence, and a much politer place than it used to be.

Just now, Option5 said:

Looked at a house once, it was perfect apart from being under the wires between two pylons. Went to see it three times, each time I had to leave due to having an excruciating headache.

You should not wear your electrodes outside your treament centre.

Just now, Option5 said:

That's CB radio. Radio hams are much more cultured (Pinny being the exception)

Fucking right you winnet!;)

I wouldn’t, unless as someone else said, I was old. 

Whether or not there is a health risk I don’t know, the perception of risk will put many off though, making it harder to sell. 

3 minutes ago, Option5 said:

Perhaps my tinfoil hat increased the effect.

Your tinfoil hat should protect you, maybe you didn’t have the chin straps attached properly?

noooooooooo, I would avoid same as those near transformers, all it needs is some new health concern and will be impossible to sell

might be an idea to buy a house near a busy road as they will be cheaper, but in 10 years time and everything's electric then it'll be quieter and cleaner and you'll have good transport links

1 minute ago, ashestoashes said:

noooooooooo, I would avoid same as those near transformers, all it needs is some new health concern and will be impossible to sell

might be an idea to buy a house near a busy road as they will be cheaper, but in 10 years time and everything's electric then it'll be quieter and cleaner and you'll have good transport links

Transformers make a pleasing hum.

I saw a Panorama programme about living near pylons about 20 years ago.

BBC so-called journalist to crumbling old git: "The field strength in your home is 10,000 nanoTeslas. How do you feel about that?

[Caption in picture "The field strength in your home is 10,000 nanner teslers". (Yes, seriously, that is what it said)

Crumbling old git "Ooh, I don't like that."

Quality journalism at it's best.

1 minute ago, Happy Renting said:

BBC so-called journalist to crumbling old git: "The field strength in your home is 10,000 nanoTeslas. How do you feel about that?

[Caption in picture "The field strength in your home is 10,000 nanner teslers". (Yes, seriously, that is what it said)

Elon Musk will be pleased.

19 minutes ago, One percent said:

Ten four. 

They mainly say — · — ·  — — · —, but no one ever replies.

2 minutes ago, Happy Renting said:

How many is having a cellphone stuck to your head all day?