DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

deathfunk

I have just seen a post on another thread about Concept 2 ergo rowing so thought I would add a thread on here. 

As you may know I have given up drinking and, to a large extent, working, so I now have lots of time to fill. Anyway, I have finally got back on my Concept 2 rowing machine. I am 37 years old, 6 foot 3 inch tall, about 18 stone. My PB used to be 37:10 for 10km (1:51 splits) and I could complete 20km in 1:20:00 (2:00 splits).

My two recent efforts:

20 minute row: 4200m (My splits were 2:21!)

20 minute row: 4350m (splits 2:17)

Observations: my lungs and internal organs are completely knackered, presumably by all the drink. I used to be able to split at 2:00 easily for a long time. If I did that now I think I would have a heart attack. I am currently just focused on getting a good feeling and trying to tear my lungs little by little each day. If I can get up to close to 2:00 spits and do 10km then that's the zone where my metabolism becomes healthy and I can get down to about 14.5 stone which is about right for a Billfunk.

• Agree 2

Napoleon Dynamite

That's some contrast in times.  Good thing is that you know you've got loads of room for improvement.  Will be rewarding to see those time dropping.

I like the machines, but I'm a very infrequent user.  Just do a 2K or 5K after weights occasionally. Best I've managed is a 7:11 2K (1:48) and a 18:50 5K (1:53), so your peak times are better than mine.

What training plan did you follow in the past?  

Have you bought your own machine? I keep on looking on eBay, but haven't bought one yet.  It's a lot of money, but I guess I could sell on for similar and I won't have lost much.

• Cheers 1

The Masked Tulip
3 hours ago, billfunk said:

I have just seen a post on another thread about Concept 2 ergo rowing so thought I would add a thread on here. 

As you may know I have given up drinking and, to a large extent, working, so I now have lots of time to fill. Anyway, I have finally got back on my Concept 2 rowing machine. I am 37 years old, 6 foot 3 inch tall, about 18 stone. My PB used to be 37:10 for 10km (1:51 splits) and I could complete 20km in 1:20:00 (2:00 splits).

My two recent efforts:

20 minute row: 4200m (My splits were 2:21!)

20 minute row: 4350m (splits 2:17)

Observations: my lungs and internal organs are completely knackered, presumably by all the drink. I used to be able to split at 2:00 easily for a long time. If I did that now I think I would have a heart attack. I am currently just focused on getting a good feeling and trying to tear my lungs little by little each day. If I can get up to close to 2:00 spits and do 10km then that's the zone where my metabolism becomes healthy and I can get down to about 14.5 stone which is about right for a Billfunk.

37 years old is nothing. Don't approach this as a sprint. Have a 3 year plan to get fit. That way you won't kill yourself in the doing and will feel brill by the time you are in your 40th year.

• Agree 2
  • Informative 1
  • Cheers 1

26 minutes ago, Napoleon Dynamite said:

That's some contrast in times.  Good thing is that you know you've got loads of room for improvement.  Will be rewarding to see those time dropping.

I like the machines, but I'm a very infrequent user.  Just do a 2K or 5K after weights occasionally. Best I've managed is a 7:11 2K (1:48) and a 18:50 5K (1:53), so your peak times are better than mine.

What training plan did you follow in the past?  

Have you bought your own machine? I keep on looking on eBay, but haven't bought one yet.  It's a lot of money, but I guess I could sell on for similar and I won't have lost much.

Those are good times for anyone of any age.

My training plan in the past was to develop a physical addiction to endorphine which would compel me to row every day - it's all about the feeling. Then I would become obsessive about going longer and harder than yesterday. At the start this meant beating yesterday's time. Then that became difficult and I settled for a few training days before on the third day beating my previous best. Then 5km wasn't enough for me so I went up to 10km. Then that wasn't enough so I went up to 15km and sometimes 20km. These long distances done every day meant that when I dropped back down to 10km I could be really aggressive and would often break my 10km best (as it was no longer my training distance).

I bought my own Concept 2 several years back full price for about a grand. I think you can pick them up second hand for less than a half of that. You won't need the latest version, I think mine is a model C and that does everything I need of it.

The endorphine rush I used to get from Rowing was full body and lasted several hours. Best drug ever! I would always recommend it to anyone who did not have a heart condition or a bad back.

• Agree 2

Napoleon Dynamite
11 hours ago, billfunk said:

Those are good times for anyone of any age.

My training plan in the past was to develop a physical addiction to endorphine which would compel me to row every day - it's all about the feeling. Then I would become obsessive about going longer and harder than yesterday. At the start this meant beating yesterday's time. Then that became difficult and I settled for a few training days before on the third day beating my previous best. Then 5km wasn't enough for me so I went up to 10km. Then that wasn't enough so I went up to 15km and sometimes 20km. These long distances done every day meant that when I dropped back down to 10km I could be really aggressive and would often break my 10km best (as it was no longer my training distance).

I bought my own Concept 2 several years back full price for about a grand. I think you can pick them up second hand for less than a half of that. You won't need the latest version, I think mine is a model C and that does everything I need of it.

The endorphine rush I used to get from Rowing was full body and lasted several hours. Best drug ever! I would always recommend it to anyone who did not have a heart condition or a bad back.

It's interesting the way you got into it.  I've not been bitten by the bug yet.  Maybe I'll try upping the distance a bit and see if I can get to 10K.

Model C's look much better value than the one's I've seen, will keep an eye out for one up North.

• Cheers 1

sleepwello'nights
13 hours ago, billfunk said:

It srikes me that exercise on a rowing machine is more beneficial than a running/walking machine. They only exercise legs and lungs whereas the rowing machine, providing it doesn't argue back too vigorously gives you some mental stimulation as well :D

Seriously it also exercises arms and upper body.

• Cheers 1

Wight Flight
5 minutes ago, sleepwello'nights said:

Is that @Wight Flight's ex landlord trying to sell the one left behind. He's obviously trying to recoup some of the lost rent. 

Yes. That's my one.

Will be interesting when he tries to sue me for disposal costs.

Thanks for finding 😁😁😁

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, sleepwello'nights said:

It srikes me that exercise on a rowing machine is more beneficial than a running/walking machine. They only exercise legs and lungs whereas the rowing machine, providing it doesn't argue back too vigorously gives you some mental stimulation as well :D

Seriously it also exercises arms and upper body.

More shoulders than arms really. When I started I used to use my arms about 50% which is the wrong technique. Your arms end up flaring up and you have to stop. You should only use your arms at the very end of the stroke - about 5 -10%. I tend to visualise it as if I am a Tyrannosaurus Rex with huge legs but only very small arms. So I put in as big a drive as possible with my legs then finish the stroke with a tiny little tug with my arms into my belly or 6 pack depending on whether the year is 2019 or 2010.

Update report:

I have rowed 20 minutes every day for a week now and have got down to 2:11 splits ~ 4550m. I tried a fly-and-die today going off at 2:07 and lasted 12 minutes. I made sure I rested and did the other 8 minutes. 

Body still feels fucked with much buggery to the internal organs. I have been a bit happier due to the endorphine but body is too wrecked to give me full juice. I'm simply not getting the right kind of pain :(

• Agree 1

On 03/04/2019 at 18:35, billfunk said:

Update report:

I have rowed 20 minutes every day for a week now and have got down to 2:11 splits ~ 4550m. I tried a fly-and-die today going off at 2:07 and lasted 12 minutes. I made sure I rested and did the other 8 minutes. 

Body still feels fucked with much buggery to the internal organs. I have been a bit happier due to the endorphine but body is too wrecked to give me full juice. I'm simply not getting the right kind of pain :(

I used to row for my uni and loved it. But we didn't row everyday. We mixed it up with circuits, gym, three water sessions and had Mondays rest. 

Diet is very important (not when you're 18 obvs but I'm now one year younger than you and aside from the booze am really focused on it). 

One other word is CYCLING!

Rowing is one of a handful of 'Power Endurance' sports. Some of the others are cross country skiing, swimming and cycling. Power, phase, recovery. 

Eat well, eat right, do weights, mix it up with other activities and you'll build a sustainable weight losing healthy future. 

Also,,,,,,, no such thing as an essential carbohydrate. Just saying...... but ensure adequate fiber and omega 3 intake.

• Agree 1
  • Cheers 1

Hail the Tripod
On 04/04/2019 at 22:44, Adarmo said:

I used to row for my uni and loved it. But we didn't row everyday. We mixed it up with circuits, gym, three water sessions and had Mondays rest. 

Diet is very important (not when you're 18 obvs but I'm now one year younger than you and aside from the booze am really focused on it). 

One other word is CYCLING!

Rowing is one of a handful of 'Power Endurance' sports. Some of the others are cross country skiing, swimming and cycling. Power, phase, recovery. 

Eat well, eat right, do weights, mix it up with other activities and you'll build a sustainable weight losing healthy future. 

Also,,,,,,, no such thing as an essential carbohydrate. Just saying...... but ensure adequate fiber and omega 3 intake.

Rowing and swimming fit together better than rowing and cycling, because the optimal body types have more crossover. Not critically important unless you're taking it very seriously, but still something to bear in mind.

https://www.nytimes.com/2007/09/27/health/nutrition/27Best.html

The rules of physics say that distance cycling and distance running are for small people. Rowing and swimming are for people who are big. The physics is so exact that when Dr. Secher tried to predict how fast competitive rowers could go, based only on their sizes and the weights of their boats, he was accurate to within 1 percent.

• Cheers 1

Bricks & Mortar

I love rowing - in a boat however.  I suppose a machine is just the same without the fresh air, scenery, and absolute need to make it back to shore.

• Agree 1

I used to enjoy rowing at the Gym, but don't go anymore really need to start getting in shape again myself but the Gym does my head in always busy and full of tossers 

One thing i would love is more gamification like rowing or cycling built into a decent game where you could play against people or friends online, only seems to be some very basic options 

VR would be pretty cool for stuff like that 

• Cheers 1

Just an update as I can see from the heavy traffic on this thread that there is a lot of interest in one anonymous obese 37 year old's journey from heart disease to health.

I have mixed up my routine a bit and done a few half hour rows at a rate of 2:15 which gives pleasant full lung opening gentle spikey pains. My 20 minute best is now 4650m or a touch under 2:09 splits. And given I feel my heart is a bit stronger now I am mixing this up with fly-and-dies at 2:00 splits. I have so far managed 10 minutes. Going at a rate too fast is a great way to cut into your lungs. I have to go steady because I don't want to end up in hospital. Oh to be young again!

I am rowing at 22/23 strokes a minute which is slightly below my standard cruising rate of 24. And I am waking up feeling like I need a row to clear my head - a clear sign of addiction. So all good.

• Agree 2

• 2 weeks later...
deathfunk

Further update:

10 mins at <1:58 splits

20 mins at <2:06 splits

30 mins at <2:12 splits

When the 20 mins is down below 2:00 I will try the odd 40 min row. Ultimate target is 40 mins at 2:00 which would represent good health.

• Agree 2

• 2 weeks later...

Another much anticipated update (This is now my rowing log, done as much to prove to myself I am getting somewhere because most days I feel like I am running into the same wall as the day before). My next intermediate target is to do 2:00 splits for 20 minutes - a very basic 5km warm up row for a heavyweight male of 6" 3. I have tried a number of 2:00 fly-and-dies and my best is 15 minutes. I have done 4km in 16:30 (just over 2:00 splits) before aborting. I have tried 20 minutes at 2:03 today and aborted at 18 minutes. I have managed a 2:04.5 20 minute row though and a one second improvement to my 30 min split:

15 mins @ <2:00 splits

20 mins @ <2:05 splits

30 mins @ <2:11 splits

Post exercise my lungs are still wheezing though this is deeper than before so I am taking this as a Good Thing. Heart always feels funny afterwards, often feeling like I have bruised it. This causes me to abort a lot of my attempts because I don't want to die. Younger self would just press on through the last 20% irrespective of pain. As this is where most of the improvements lie I know I am depriving myself of them. I console myself in the knowledge that at least I am not getting any more unfit.

• Agree 1

I do like the rowing machine, as a cardio machine it works so many muscle groups. I like to do intervals, warm up 2 minutes at around 26 strokes per minute then 30 seconds as hard as I can go, usually up to 33/34 strokes per minute, drop down for 60 seconds and repeat. I've gradually increased how many intervals I can do before I have to give up. When I first started it was 4, I'm currently doing 9.

• Cheers 1

On 17/05/2019 at 21:21, Dipsy said:

I do like the rowing machine, as a cardio machine it works so many muscle groups. I like to do intervals, warm up 2 minutes at around 26 strokes per minute then 30 seconds as hard as I can go, usually up to 33/34 strokes per minute, drop down for 60 seconds and repeat. I've gradually increased how many intervals I can do before I have to give up. When I first started it was 4, I'm currently doing 9.

I used to do something similar: a warm-up of however long followed by 100m like I was being chased by a kraken, then a cool down for as long as I wanted, then 100m. It's a really good way to exercise as it layers pain on pain. I am not doing it at the moment because I am worried that my heart might not take it. Long and slow is the order of the day for rehabilitation, I think.

• Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...

Great news for the multitudes of exited followers of my personal erg travails: I have managed to complete my second intermediate target of 5km in 20 minutes! I will now train regularly at 30 mins and attempt 7.5km. The best I have done so far at 30 mins is 2:08 splits so I will take this as my starting pace tomorrow and see where I am at with 10 minutes to go.

Also good news on the heart and lungs front: I have got rid of the disease now and am left with only weakness. I barely wheeze at all after exercise and no longer feel like I am about to collapse. I still get the odd pain - like a bruise - in my chest but I think it is improving. Still a fat bastard but regular 30 mins rows at a decent pace will hold that in check. My end target is the 15km in 1 hour row which burns me 1000+ calories. Once I am there for a few weeks I will no longer be a fat bastard.

• Agree 2

• 2 weeks later...

How do I get started?

I bought a water rower  a couple of years ago. I can do about 20 mins before I feel dead and was doing this once every 2 days for 6 months. But after cleaning my room I hadn’t bothered to put it back down again.. I really should.

Am I meant to increase my timings every so often or just do it 20 mins every two days still? I guess I need a routine and some goals to aim for.. 

Sam

• Cheers 1

Don Coglione
21 minutes ago, sam1994 ✌ said:

How do I get started?

I bought a water rower  a couple of years ago. I can do about 20 mins before I feel dead and was doing this once every 2 days for 6 months. But after cleaning my room I hadn’t bothered to put it back down again.. I really should.

Am I meant to increase my timings every so often or just do it 20 mins every two days still? I guess I need a routine and some goals to aim for.. 

Sam

Look up "The Pete Plan".