• Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Interesting. Im 32, 6ft1, 13.5 stone. Have never rowed before but within the past 2 weeks have been rowing every other day. I can avg 1.47 split but this is only 10 minutes of rowing. 

Basically rowing as hard as I can for 2 minutes on, 2 minutes rest, for 5 reps. 

Does rowing gain muscle? I'm doing weightlifting as well but am less dedicated to that after rowing, as I feel too fucked. @billfunk

I've noticed that already I've lost fat around my backside and thighs. I'll keep going with it as I find it rather fun, and less exhausting each time. The first time I couldn't breathe at all, felt like I had asthma and was perhaps about to meet my maker :CryBaby:

Edited by spunko

3 hours ago, spunko said:

Interesting. Im 32, 6ft1, 13.5 stone. Have never rowed before but within the past 2 weeks have been rowing every other day. I can avg 1.47 split but this is only 10 minutes of rowing. 

Does rowing gain muscle? I'm doing weightlifting as well but am less dedicated to that after rowing, as I feel too fucked. @billfunk

I've noticed that already I've lost fat around my backside and thighs. I'll keep going with it as I find it rather fun, and less exhausting each time. The first time I couldn't breathe at all, felt like I had asthma and was perhaps about to meet my maker :CryBaby:

I think I am too old, too fat and too fucked to ever row decently again. My body just keeps hitting a wall and I feel emaciated afterwards. Not nice. I have bought I cheapo ski erg machine now which just gets me right after 10 to 20 minutes. I have put that in my front room placed right in front of the TV just to remind me when I am feeling like a fat lazy bastard.

Rowing muscle:. Being a lardarse, the main advantage was having my torso streamlined. I put on muscle on my thighs, which is quite hard to see, and more perceptibly on the tips of my shoulders. It's funny but because your shoulders are always within your peripheral vision any small increase in mass there is noticed immediately. And i think it is likely great for core strength as you are essentially flexing your core repetitively against resistance.

That's just my feelz. I am not a trained sports trainer so would be happy to be educated on this.

1.47 averaged over 5 splits of 2 minutes is good going. I wonder if you could do a 7 minute 2km row? That is the blue ribband distance and I remember when I was a youth at the rugby club 7 minutes was a good healthy time. I recall British qualification time was 6:04. I had a mate who was 6 foot 5 and fit and he did 6:30. A boyfriend of my Sisters was super fit and strong and did 6:20. I never really bothered with 2km as I wanted to go longer in order to burn fat. I think i was just over 7 mins for 2km, but my 10km time was 37:10 which is quite reasonable. 

6 minutes ago, spunko said:

@billfunk I'll give 2km a go tomorrow, if I don't post again you'll know why. I don't think I can get below 7 minutes, probably 7.30 or something, but will see.

Just chill out for 4 or 5 minutes then see where you are then press into the finish. Put down any time, then (particularly if you are an obsessive nutter) that is your benchmark for your second attempt. The beauty of the concept rower is you can see stroke-for-stroke whether you are on target. It is actaully very dangerous if you are a fat middle aged potato with a competitive streak because you tend to overdo it trying to beat yourself! If you ever slip into this trap then a towel over the screen is the best solution.

If you are doing 1:47 over 2 minutes with breaks. I would suggest setting off at around 1:58. This will be easily manageable and allow you to speed up gradually towards the end. It is easier to set off slow and speed up rather than doing a "fly-and-die".

Edited by billfunk

On 28/09/2019 at 07:41, spunko said:

Maintaining a 1:47 split over 10 mins is amazingly good if you're just starting out.  Don't be fooled by the display though, make sure it's showing the split for the entire distance not the last few strokes you blasted out before stopping.

Don't think you'll really gain weight doing it, it's aerobic/anerobic. Legs may grow over the long term, back too and core will tighten up.

I find it hard to balance cardio and lifting.  One takes away from the other.

1 hour ago, Napoleon Dynamite said:

Maintaining a 1:47 split over 10 mins is amazingly good if you're just starting out.  Don't be fooled by the display though, make sure it's showing the split for the entire distance not the last few strokes you blasted out before stopping.

Don't think you'll really gain weight doing it, it's aerobic/anerobic. Legs may grow over the long term, back too and core will tighten up.

I find it hard to balance cardio and lifting.  One takes away from the other.

It isn't really over 10 minutes because I have 2 minutes rest after 2 minutes rowing. To remove that rest I think would kill me. Didn't get a chance to do it today, will try tomorrow.

Okay, 1.56 avg. over 2000m. Not that great, and I'm completely fucked!

Have been planting trees this afternoon though and my body ached before I even sat on the rowing machine, that's my excuse :D

On 28 September 2019 at 07:41, spunko said:

You'll burn fat from the rowing. To gain muscle you need to lift weights. My PT told me to do the weight training first, then the cardio. It maybe different for women but to gain muscle and change my body shape I've concentrated on weight training, the cardio comes second. 

On 02/10/2019 at 19:53, spunko said:

Okay, 1.56 avg. over 2000m. Not that great, and I'm completely fucked!

Have been planting trees this afternoon though and my body ached before I even sat on the rowing machine, that's my excuse :D

Sub 8 min is still good.  It's a milestone for a lot of people. 

On 04/10/2019 at 16:46, Dipsy said:

You'll burn fat from the rowing. To gain muscle you need to lift weights. My PT told me to do the weight training first, then the cardio. It maybe different for women but to gain muscle and change my body shape I've concentrated on weight training, the cardio comes second. 

Same here.  Most do weights first cardio second if they do both on the same day, but I guess it could vary depending upon your priorities.