DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

IGNORED

can you pay 2 lots of council tax

King Penda

lets pretend i bought another terrace but i dont want the hastle of renting one out and i want them to pretty much pay for themselves and get free cash that cant be taxed.can you legaly be registered in both or not.i could get a 3 bed around here for 60k.bung some of my shit in the box room kit the house out and basicly move between the 2 houses 2 lodgers in one and one in mine.if its basicly in my street its very easy to do this.or am i being a cunt even thinking about it and its simplier to buy a 3 bed semi and rent 2 rooms out.

11 minutes ago, Castlevania said:

You could, but in my opinion is taking the piss and really not in the spirit of the rent a room scheme.

Brexit is takeing the piss out of democracy  but is apparently legal I’m just wondering if it’s legal the bank could not touch me if I’m down has livening there either

AlfredTheLittle

The allowance only applies to your 'only or main residence', the second would just be a standard rental.

You can also only have one residence for capital gains tax, the second you'd get taxed on any gains when you sell it.

On the other hand, you get a whole extra house full of scrapper birds just waiting for you to take them up the arse. Sounds like a good idea to me, and well worth the extra tax.

VeryMeanReversion
On 01/04/2019 at 17:57, stokiescum said:

lets pretend i bought another terrace but i dont want the hastle of renting one out and i want them to pretty much pay for themselves and get free cash that cant be taxed.can you legaly be registered in both or not.i could get a 3 bed around here for 60k.bung some of my shit in the box room kit the house out and basicly move between the 2 houses 2 lodgers in one and one in mine.if its basicly in my street its very easy to do this.or am i being a cunt even thinking about it and its simplier to buy a 3 bed semi and rent 2 rooms out.

For your first question, the electoral commission lets you legally register at two addresses but you can only vote once in the same election.

For the rent-a-room scheme it looks like its for a furnished main residence only .  It doesn't seem to be clear in the rent-a-room legislation, so you have to go to the Income Tax act. (my bold highlights below)

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2005/5/part/2/chapter/2/crossheading/rentaroom-and-fostercare-relief

(1)The rules for calculating the profits of a trade carried on by an individual are subject to Chapter 1 of Part 7 (rent-a-room relief).

(2)That Chapter provides relief on income from the use of furnished accommodation in the individual's only or main residence (see, in particular, sections 792 and 796).

(3)The rules for calculating the profits of a trade, profession or vocation carried on by an individual are subject to Chapter 2 of Part 7 (foster-care relief).

(4)That Chapter provides relief on income from the provision by the individual of foster care (see, in particular, sections 813, 816, 822 and 823).

Castlevania
10 hours ago, Cosmic Apple said:

Wouldn't you reach the tax free allowance with just one place and 2 rooms let? 

The allowance is very generous. £625 per month works out at over £72 per person per week. You can charge for bills on top of that.

On 03/04/2019 at 00:41, Cosmic Apple said:

Wouldn't you reach the tax free allowance with just one place and 2 rooms let? 

If you declared them both and were charging 300 each yes

Stokie nobody has mentioned the second homes tax aka higher SDLT. If you are registered for 2 properties you will need to pay it on the new terrace at the higher rate.

For £60k it will be 3% or £1800

46 minutes ago, spunko said:

Stokie nobody has mentioned the second homes tax aka higher SDLT. If you are registered for 2 properties you will need to pay it on the new terrace at the higher rate.

For £60k it will be 3% or £1800

It’s a one off charge on purchase though - hardly a large amount in the scheme of things

32 minutes ago, eek said:

It’s a one off charge on purchase though - hardly a large amount in the scheme of things

I know but it's worth pointing out as ime people don't think it applies everywhere - only to Cornwall!

Archived