DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

What do you offer

King Penda

If im honest I came here seeking a good row with the guys of tos has I got banned after 2 posts but I ended up being confronted by a group of people who how do I put it are basicly civilised no favritism and are quite honest with each other I’m not criticised for my spelling and no matter how mad I am I don’t get taken to task by anyone are we to civilised or do we need an argument section where we can go full bore with each other without fucking the rest of the forum up

It's "too" civilised. 

Oh and "I'm"

TOS should be capitalised.

Missed the "o" and the "u" in favouritism as well.

That's my pedantry done for the day, closest I can get to an argument this time of day.

:D

12 hours ago, stokiescum said:

If im honest I came here seeking a good row with the guys of tos has I got banned after 2 posts but I ended up being confronted by a group of people who how do I put it are basicly civilised no favritism and are quite honest with each other I’m not criticised for my spelling and no matter how mad I am I don’t get taken to task by anyone are we to civilised or do we need an argument section where we can go full bore with each other without fucking the rest of the forum up

If you were an arrogant prick then I'm sure many people would delight in correcting your grammar, but as you are not there is no need as we know what you mean and don't want to cheapen ourselves with low blows like grammar correction.

Which brings me to an anecdote about a former colleague of mine from Latvia who was rather arrogant (unlike most Latvians I have met who appear decent people). One day she told us all, in a very haughty and patronising way, that her English was superb as it was such an easy language and that she was basically now a native speaker. So we all spent the next few days correcting every single grammatical error she made. As it happened, when we put our pedantic hats on she made lots of errors it was just that in the old days we didn't say anything because we generally knew what she meant and didn't want to be arseholes. We then explained to her that it was not that her English was perfect it was just that we, as Brits, understand that we are lucky enough to have the world's lingua franca as our native tongue. We are therefore very forgiving when speaking with foreigners. The basic test of any intelligent empathic Brit is "Do I speak their native language? No? Then give them lee-way in speaking mine".

And as you are a Stokie it is safe to apply the same logic to you! (Ba-dum-tish).

DOSBODS is mainly political subversives. There is other stuff that I enjoy like the hobby and money boards - and there is some valuable info on there - but they are quiet compared to the politics. If you like mainstream orthodox politics then you will likely not enjoy the DOSBODS crowd.

• 2 weeks later...
On 03/04/2019 at 02:47, stokiescum said:

I don't think we need an argument section.  I'd be quite happy to argue with you if I thought you were talking bollocks (real bollocks that is, not just that fuelled by Stella).  I think most of the forum members are pretty decent, civilised people but there are a few who remind me of one of Billy Connolly's classic put downs:

"Don't let the hair fool you. Ah'm no a hippy; I like violence!"

Mirror Mirror
On 03/04/2019 at 14:56, billfunk said:

If you were an arrogant prick then I'm sure many people would delight in correcting your grammar, but as you are not there is no need as we know what you mean and don't want to cheapen ourselves with low blows like grammar correction.

Yeah, but 4 lines of text without a single piece of punctuation meaning that it's barely readable?

Ive read through it twice now, but I'm still none the wiser as to what he is trying to say, and now Ive given up; life's too short...

• 3 weeks later...
On 16/04/2019 at 14:54, Mirror Mirror said:

Yeah, but 4 lines of text without a single piece of punctuation meaning that it's barely readable?

Ive read through it twice now, but I'm still none the wiser as to what he is trying to say, and now Ive given up; life's too short...

Really? I found it fairly easy to read, it's hardly James Joyceian!

That being said, I always just assumed that Stokies and Spy do it on purpose, you know, just to be dicks...

Mirror Mirror

Maybe, but it’s a shame when posters, particularly those with something to say, either can’t be bothered to write properly, (or don’t do so on purpose).

I’ve often given up with what was probably a good post simply because, as I say, life is too short.

Sure I could probably decipher it if I really wanted to, after all, they deciphered the hieroglyphics in the Egyptian tombs in the end, but why should I? This ain’t Mumsnet, it’s a site composed of intelligent insightful people. If they want me to read what they have to say, then they need to write clearly.

Happy Renting

I love Stokies strem-of-conciousness posts, they crack me up.

As for Spygril, I don't correct his/her grammar, I just take the piss, which is more fun, and seems to be taken in good humour.

And I invariably spot my own typos about 1 nanosec after pressing Submit.

Edit: I meant stream, not strem, and that was a genuine mistake, proving my point.

Archived