DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

2019-20

A_P

With the new ISA allowance impending what is everyone going to be buying? Nothing too exciting for me as will now be using a Freetrade GIA for a few small time plays

ISA

• VG Global All-Cap
  • LG High Income
  • LG Global Property
  • YCA

LISA

Will transfer to AJ in May after my relocation as no longer going to use it on a house purchase.

• 100% VWRL

Frank Hovis

FTSE All Share tracker, a bit of balancing plus I think we're into a likely period of thin returns so I want to minimise fees as I don't want them swallowing up half of my return.

ISA/SIPP: LS100 GBP Acc (I want to be overweight on UK holdings) as it looks cheap. 

LISA: iShares Core MSCI World ETF USD Acc GBP 

Miners seem too risky for me, so I am buying physical coins to avoid CGT element. 

Castlevania

I’m still undecided so will probably plonk in half next week and the other half later in the year. I’m looking to buy some Barrick, Fresnillo and Vodafone.

longtomsilver

Seeming as you mentioned YCA I'll be continuing to add On behalf of exMrsLTSs dividend SIPP portfolio   that has reached an all time high today of £170,700! I can't quite believe that I've made £120k on £50k of old pensions traded and invested over six years. In a few days I'll see if she's stuck to her promise to start paying £240p/month into the SIPP that'll give me ~£11-12k per annum to play with and I'm going to be bold... Energy Fuels Inc, Enquest Plc and Jubilee Platinum.

at the moment I have £10k in Yellow Cake, £2.5k Jubilee Platinum and £1k in both Energy Fuels and Enquest. Will keep the weighing broadly the same. 

18 minutes ago, longtomsilver said:

Seeming as you mentioned YCA I'll be continuing to add On behalf of exMrsLTSs dividend SIPP portfolio   that has reached an all time high today of £170,700! I can't quite believe that I've made £120k on £50k of old pensions traded and invested over six years. In a few days I'll see if she's stuck to her promise to start paying £240p/month into the SIPP that'll give me ~£11-12k per annum to play with and I'm going to be bold... Energy Fuels Inc, Enquest Plc and Jubilee Platinum.

at the moment I have £10k in Yellow Cake, £2.5k Jubilee Platinum and £1k in both Energy Fuels and Enquest. Will keep the weighing broadly the same. 

Speaking of Enquest I was eyeing up their bond today after @crashmonitor gilts thread. It's below par so I might chuck some tax relief into that considering it's a tad risky

I don't follow the YCA rationale. Since it AIM'd people seem to be buying it, but it looks like it's actually the explorers that are undervalued / lagging? Maybe same with the PM miners?

Inoperational Bumblebee

I've not been putting much into my ISA at all recently. Consequently, I'm going to open an Iweb ISA as my purchases will be occasional rather than monthly. When I was putting some in every month, Youinvest made sense.

I'm currently picking up a bit of ITPS each month in that ISA.

24 minutes ago, sam1994 said:

I don't follow the YCA rationale. Since it AIM'd people seem to be buying it, but it looks like it's actually the explorers that are undervalued / lagging? Maybe same with the PM miners?

It's a URA play and one of the few ways we can track the price of the yellow stuff. Additionally it doesn't have as much downside/risk that is associated with miners. Equally though not as much upside. YCA also is currently trading at a discount to it's NAV. For me YCA is further diversification.

Thanks for clarifying. It might be better if people put a %age behind their allocations to get some understanding of how much of a play they are making. Obviously everyone has different risk appetite; or are people buying in equal measures?

Just now, sam1994 said:

Thanks for clarifying. It might be better if people put a %age behind their allocations to get some understanding of how much of a play they are making. Obviously everyone has different risk appetite; or are people buying in equal measures?

I did for my LISA but that one was easy :D

We are all different. 4% of my current investment portfolio will be go into YCA for the time being. My total target commodity allocation is 10%. 5% gold and 1% silver. Subject to change though as I'm adapting while I'm accumulating and slowly moving from a large cash position. I started this way too late.

29 minutes ago, A_P said:

I did for my LISA but that one was easy :D

We are all different. 4% of my current investment portfolio will be go into YCA for the time being. My total target commodity allocation is 10%. 5% gold and 1% silver. Subject to change though as I'm adapting while I'm accumulating and slowly moving from a large cash position. I started this way too late.

I think it still makes sense to have a good chunk of cash -- particularly if opportunities present. Effectively what you are doing is laddering in which has been suggested in other threads. 

6 hours ago, sam1994 said:

I think it still makes sense to have a good chunk of cash -- particularly if opportunities present. Effectively what you are doing is laddering in which has been suggested in other threads. 

well I'm kind of doing a mix really. My funds I'm DCA. FTSE shares laddering (but that's proving to be expensive for some, looking at you VOD and CNA) and buying a full allocation for my pref's.

Castlevania
On 04/04/2019 at 21:28, Castlevania said:

I’m still undecided so will probably plonk in half next week and the other half later in the year. I’m looking to buy some Barrick, Fresnillo and Vodafone.

Ended up putting in three quarters of my allowance and bought the below with a few hundred pounds left over:

500 x Barrick

200 x Fresnillo

2500 x Harmony ADR

100 x Polymetal

2000 x Vodafone

on further examination it looks like VWRL isn't a goer as distributions are in USD and I assume I will get robbed with a 1% fx rate by the broker. So now looking like:

• iShares Core MSCI World UCITS ETF USD (Acc) (GBP) | SWDA - 85%
  • iShares Core MSCI EM IMI UCITS ETF USD (Acc) (GBP) | EMIM  - 10%
  • iShares MSCI World Small Cap UCITS ETF USD (Acc) (GBP) | WLDS - 5%

Combined OCF 20.55% so better than VWRL and I get a bit of small cap.

man o' the year
On 04/04/2019 at 10:22, Frank Hovis said:

FTSE All Share tracker, a bit of balancing plus I think we're into a likely period of thin returns so I want to minimise fees as I don't want them swallowing up half of my return.

I had an email from ii today telling me that platform fees were going up from £22-50 per quarter to £7-99 per month. With investments in my name, my wifes and edest daughters any increase is bad news. How does this compare to other platforms? I had though I might try another platform but that feels as though fees would be unnecessary cost. The £85k FSCS limit feels less relevant with investments but that may be me being foolhardy.

Frank Hovis
19 minutes ago, man o' the year said:

I had an email from ii today telling me that platform fees were going up from £22-50 per quarter to £7-99 per month. With investments in my name, my wifes and edest daughters any increase is bad news. How does this compare to other platforms? I had though I might try another platform but that feels as though fees would be unnecessary cost. The £85k FSCS limit feels less relevant with investments but that may be me being foolhardy.

HL does a stepped charging system so you'll need to pump in your balance (I'm not asking!).

Value of funds (ISA)

Charge

On the first £250,000 0.45%

On the value between £250,000 -£1m 0.25%

On the value between £1m - £2m0 .1%

On the value over £2m No charge

18 minutes ago, man o' the year said:

I'm with ii to and didn't really appreciate the increase either. Although I imagine some might welcome the sipp charge moving to monthly. For sipps over £50k  they still work out quite competitively. 

If you're only in isa's then there are a few who could be better. However, that will depend on pot size, what you buy and when. 

Probably best heading over too monevator and using their broker compare.

2 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

HL does a stepped charging system so you'll need to pump in your balance (I'm not asking!).

Value of funds (ISA)

Charge

HL's ETFs and share charges is much better from memory, capped at £45. I wouldn't want to hold funds with them though as that would get expensive. 

longtomsilver
2 minutes ago, A_P said:

HL's ETFs and share charges is much better from memory, capped at £45. I wouldn't want to hold funds with them though as that would get expensive. 

I was about to post that and copied and paste.

Shares

Including UK and overseas shares, investment trusts, exchange-traded funds, VCTs, gilts and bonds.

0.45%
capped at £45 per year

SIPPs are capped at £200 per year.

Frank Hovis
Just now, A_P said:

Yes, having looked it up I might have a look around for a fixed fee provider as I have a lot in there so a small percentage becomes large.

I am paying a lot more for just the ISA wrapper than I am for the funds' management charges.

man o' the year
9 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

Value of funds (ISA)

Charge

Not there yet - 144k total at the moment. Perhaps I will stick with ii then for a while.

Frank Hovis
4 minutes ago, man o' the year said:

Not there yet - 144k total at the moment. Perhaps I will stick with ii then for a while.

Maybe I wasn't clear on the stepped percentages. If you have over £2m you only don't pay any fees for the amount over £2m.

You still pay those percentages for the lower bands which I was mentally totting up and finding to be a lot in my case.

Archived