DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

End of Tax Year P2P review

Kurt Barlow

Kurt Barlow

Just checked through my net returns for P2P for 2018-19 which are outside of ISA coverage

Ratesetter - 4%. Partly lower because i heavily utilise the 1 month markets as a form of instant access where rates are typically 2.4-3%

ZOPA 4.1%

Funding Circle 1.9%. This is lower because I am not investing any new money so this is predominantly from old loans - still it really shows how much business sentiment has deteriorated in the last year. 

After 20% tax Ratesetter and ZOPA still above inflation but diasappointly FC below. Still I have made 35K on FC overt the last 8 years with annualised returns >6%.

How are other P2p'rs doing? 

My ratesetter returns haven't been great from the market itself as only a small amount in there, but did get £50 refer a friend and due £200 next month or so from their incentive. Should take me up to circa 14%.

WeLendus 7.1% but recently just withdrew all my money in there as it was struggling to get lent out, I suspect they became heavily oversubscribed due to the returns.

Once RS payout that'll be me done on P2P for the time being

reformed nice guy

Funding Circle - annualised return is 6.7% but I havent been funding new lending for years. 

Zopa is 4.2% projected but 4.9% for the past year.

I stopped adding to FC because of the change away from individually choosing investments.

Kurt Barlow
1 hour ago, reformed nice guy said:

Funding Circle - annualised return is 6.7% but I havent been funding new lending for years. 

Zopa is 4.2% projected but 4.9% for the past year.

I stopped adding to FC because of the change away from individually choosing investments.

The annualised return is based on an average over annual returns since opening the account. Mines about 6.3%

But specifically looking at 2018-19 the return is 1.9%

longtomsilver

I averaged 5.4% over 2 years (exactly as stated on the tin) however the early exit penalties knocked it right down. Can't remember exactly but it was something like 1/3rd of the interest paid over the year. 

I'm earning 4.5%* from my portfolio of bluechips so the pull to P2P just isn't there for me anymore.

reformed nice guy
2 hours ago, Kurt Barlow said:

The annualised return is based on an average over annual returns since opening the account. Mines about 6.3%

But specifically looking at 2018-19 the return is 1.9%

Ah, thanks for pointing that out.

I went back and got the annual statement to do the sums and it is 3.9% when including interest and bad debt recovery. 

Iv only got £2100ish left in it. Bad debt was £135 for that period though!

There used to be a board, I cant find it now, and I pointed out how lots of Asian wholesalers were getting A+ credit ratings then defaulting and reopening under a new ltd company. I was told how awful I am etc, so I found 5 that were all getting funding at the time. I checked today and 4 of them have defaulted and subsequently phoenixed!

I think the 'racial element' is the reason why they stopped the individual picking which to fund

Kurt Barlow
1 hour ago, longtomsilver said:

I averaged 5.4% over 2 years (exactly as stated on the tin) however the early exit penalties knocked it right down. Can't remember exactly but it was something like 1/3rd of the interest paid over the year. 

I'm earning 4.5%* from my portfolio of bluechips so the pull to P2P just isn't there for me anymore.

I agree. I have made over 50K since 2010 on P2P but am winding it back rapidly. 

Looks like we are just about to buy a house for which I will use most of my P2P outside ISA coverage for a deposit. 

Ive got some in FC ISA and some in a ratesetter ISA in Mrs. B's name which I will keep. 

Will also use the one month markets in ratesetter as these are quite good as a short term deposit account. 

I had a small amount in P2P almost a decade ago. As I remember I was getting around 10%. I quite enjoyed it as, at that time, you could lend to individuals, each with their own story of why they were a good credit risk. Then they stopped that. And then they stopped the risk-grouping system as well. Then the rates kept dropping. So it just became a savings account with a decent rate of interest but with no compensation scheme and the danger of losing capital due to mass defaults in a recession.

Archived