DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Anyone into lock picking?

The Masked Tulip

The Masked Tulip

I am thinking of buying a lock picking kit. Seems that it would be a useful selection of tools to have for emergencies. I see that both Amazon and eBay sell different versions for £10 to £20. Just wondering if we have any locksmith gurus amongst us?

Nice review of one kit on Amazon where the poster says that he now spends his nights breaking into his neighbour's sheds and swapping around their lawn-mowers.

Whilst doing carpentry i was into it but have not practiced for a while still got all the tools its good fun being able to pick stuff and relising how shit most security is  

Maybe one day when i can buy a house and have a man cave workshop and get back into it 

A few websites i knew of was 
https://www.ukbumpkeys.com/

http://www.uklockpickers.co.uk

Also a cool Youtube channel was 

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCm9K6rby98W8JigLoZOh6FQ/videos

Have Fun....

I did a bit of lock picking in the past, it proved useful several times, like when my shift working opposite decided to be a c**t and lock the tool cupboard before my shift. I didn't tell anyone, didn't grass him up, I picked the lock and carried on.
It also proved useful for practical jokes, like moving the bosses lunch to a different draw under his desk :p

Some years in another job later I picked a filing cabinet after someone lost the keys, this was a mistake as everytime anything went wrong, went missing, or anything, I was immediately to blame. The same with my IT skills, as soon as anyone finds out, then everything that goes wrong becomes your fault.

• 2 weeks later...

Due to having to deal with a lot of lost keys etc. through work over the years I've acquired an above average level of locksmithing skills. The problem with lock-picking is firstly like so many techniques you need to be actively using it all the time to avoid having a lengthy relearn process each time. Also being able to pick a padlock, in your hands, in the quiet at home is very different to trying to pick one in a door in the wild. For the investment in time there's limited practical use, as in reality with the low costs of locks it's just quicker to drill, except in the instance you want to break into somewhere undetected and realistically most decent modern door locks will have some level of anti-pick design features which will mean you aren't going to defeat it in seconds so risk getting caught anywhere strongly.

Having been arrested, and handcuffed, once I have always intended practicing picking/escaping standard issue Police handcuffs but very difficult with them on and don't really want the embarrassment of having the fire brigade out to cut me free. They have a universal key I believe so possibly better to have one secreted maybe but from experience very difficult to manipulate anything if tightly cuffed.

Inoperational Bumblebee

I used to play with this a bit, and ended up buying a selection of SouthOrd picks that I thought would suit my requirements better than a generic set. Didn't get a pretty case but I just keep them in a glasses case.

Worthwhile learning how to do it without picks as you're unlikely to be carrying them when you need them!

I taught an ex how to do it, and after locking herself out of her flat one drunken night, she managed to pick her own front door with a hair grip. Not only did it give her access, but a realistic sense of how secure her flat was...

Sugarlips

I don’t understand why we don’t have more thumbprint/retina entry yet, Tomorrows World thought it was gonna happen 20 years back 

Roger_Mellie
On 07/05/2019 at 12:38, Sugarlips said:

I don’t understand why we don’t have more thumbprint/retina entry yet, Tomorrows World thought it was gonna happen 20 years back 

I don't fancy having my eye plucked out so someone can break into my house.

On 07/05/2019 at 12:38, Sugarlips said:

Because it has limitation, the retina stuff is complex and expensive, whilst the thumbprint/biometrics is unreliable. Someone thought biometrics was a good idea at my workplace, it works well for the office staff because they don't do any fucking work, but everyone else has problems with it and then gets grilled when they're unable to clock in/out each day, and then in winter nobody can use it because their hands are too cold coming in from the car park.

Archived