• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
SpectrumFX

Plastic money

Posted (edited)

It just occurred to me that we're bringing in this shit new plastic money at the same time as there are all these campaigns against plastic.

We're now supposed to use paper straws instead of plastic because "the environment", and the seas are apparently full of plastic shit. 

Yet the switch from paper money to plastic money seems to have gotten a free pass from the environmentalists. Or have they just not noticed?

xD

Edited by SpectrumFX

4 minutes ago, SpectrumFX said:

It just occurred to me that we're bringing in this shit new plastic money at the same time as there are all these campaigns against plastic.

We're now supposed to use paper straws instead of plastic because "the environment", and the seas are apparently full of plastic shit. 

Yet the switch from paper money to plastic money seems to have gotten a free pass from the environmentalists. Or have they just not noticed?

xD

They have also smeared them in pork fat or some animal fat at least. o.O

6 minutes ago, SpectrumFX said:

xD

Well they’re a better vector for plague transmission, so it may well reduce the human plastic footprint in the not too distant future.

I really like plastic.  It is an excellent lightweight solution to many packaging problems.  Furthermore, the carbon in plastic is locked up for thousands of years, which is surely a lower carbon footprint compared with burning oil.

The problem with plastic isn't the plastic -- It is simply the sheer levels of consumption.   A few examples:

• The London Marathon is now moaning about all the plastic bottles.  Yet for years the hydration solution was handing out little paper cups at points around the course.  They invented the plastic bottle problem*.
  • I hear San Francisco is now banning plastic bottles.  Yet a little plastic bottle of water is an ideal hydration solution for a tourist, say.  The problem isn't the plastic bottles, it is the fact that many people have one or two 500ml bottles of coke every day.
  • etc etc.

[*   Furthermore, the environmental impact thing is actually the whole London Marathon, not the hydration.  They could limit the numbers, scale it back a bit, and they'd have a much more environmentally friendly day**.  I don't think they're actually interested in the environment, though -- they're pissing about the edges pretending to make a difference.  I must have a chat with those Extinction Rebellion folk.]

Anyway, I liked paper money, as it wasn't made of paper.

4 minutes ago, Caravan Monster said:

I don't think the kidz use cash, so probably aren't that concerned about the environmental aspects of stupid plastic weird to handle notes.

I was dismayed today when my daughter asked if I had 50p in change to use the tyre air thing at the local garage. It wasn’t that I minded giving her 50p it was because I was shocked that she had no cash in her possession at all because she pays by card for most things.

My response was that I thought it was a good idea to always have a reasonable amount of cash available for times when a preferred cash line machine was out of order, card payment wasn’t available (garage air) and card paying services were unavailable due to “glitches”.

Daughter said, yes I suppose it would save hassle sometimes.

I’m the opposite. Apart from utility direct debits I use cash for most things!

8 minutes ago, Van Lady said:

I was dismayed today when my daughter asked if I had 50p in change to use the tyre air thing at the local garage. It wasn’t that I minded giving her 50p it was because I was shocked that she had no cash in her possession at all because she pays by card for most things.

My response was that I thought it was a good idea to always have a reasonable amount of cash available for times when a preferred cash line machine was out of order, card payment wasn’t available (garage air) and card paying services were unavailable due to “glitches”.

Daughter said, yes I suppose it would save hassle sometimes.

I’m the opposite. Apart from utility direct debits I use cash for most things!

Why doesn't she have a foot pump?

3 minutes ago, Van Lady said:

xD

I doubt she’d know what that was!

To be fair I don’t have a foot pump and pay 50p to inflate my tyres.

They are only£15 or so and are good exercise. Mind you, if you drive an 18 wheeler you need big legs.

Plastic is brilliant, that's why it's so succesful. 

Anyhow, for anyone concerned about plastic use look up Hengli crude to chemicals. 20 million tonnes a year of additional PX capacity within 5 years. And we're worried about plastic straws.

36 minutes ago, Roger_Mellie said:

Plastic is brilliant, that's why it's so succesful. 

Anyhow, for anyone concerned about plastic use look up Hengli crude to chemicals. 20 million tonnes a year of additional PX capacity within 5 years. And we're worried about plastic straws.

Plastic is a wonderful product and actually reduces air miles. Despite what the Twitterati say, supermarkets don't wrap perishable items in plastic because they want the human race to die out. They do it because it preserves food like no other material on earth. If you can extend a bagged salad to ~7 days of shelf life using plastic, versus using "eco friendly" (not) brown paper bags that will begin the degradation process immediately, then it's a no brainer. Food production is hugely damaging to the environment anyway, so to preserve it for ~7 days makes perfect sense. Throwing it out after a day because it's all wet and soggy due to wrapping it in brown paper bags, is doing more damage to the environment, on balance. 

Plastic wouldn't really be a problem if it was disposed of correctly by everyone, particularly those in third world shitholes.

3 minutes ago, spunko said:

Plastic is a wonderful product and actually reduces air miles. Despite what the Twitterati say, supermarkets don't wrap perishable items in plastic because they want the human race to die out. They do it because it preserves food like no other material on earth. If you can extend a bagged salad to ~7 days of shelf life using plastic, versus using "eco friendly" (not) brown paper bags that will begin the degradation process immediately, then it's a no brainer. Food production is hugely damaging to the environment anyway, so to preserve it for ~7 days makes perfect sense. Throwing it out after a day because it's all wet and soggy due to wrapping it in brown paper bags, is doing more damage to the environment, on balance. 

Plastic wouldn't really be a problem if it was disposed of correctly by everyone, particularly those in third world shitholes.

Yep. 

When someone gets a blood transfusion the blood hasn't been kept in a reusable glass jar, it's been in a sterile plastic bag. It's probably the greatest invention in the history of mankind.

10 minutes ago, spunko said:

I think this is an excellent development for the people of Mauritius, because any sterling lost off the coast of the UK will miraculously wash up on their shores.

25 minutes ago, spunko said:

Might I suggest that people don't need a bagged salad or any vegetables wrapped in plastic.

You can buy the separate plants and, provided you use them properly, they will last a couple of weeks, .

Ask any chef on a ship.

8 minutes ago, Hopeful said:

Might I suggest that people don't need a bagged salad or any vegetables wrapped in plastic.

You can buy the separate plants and, provided you use them properly, they will last a couple of weeks, .

Ask any chef on a ship.

don't ask for tossed salad 

43 minutes ago, Roger_Mellie said:

Yep. 

When someone gets a blood transfusion the blood hasn't been kept in a reusable glass jar, it's been in a sterile plastic bag. It's probably the greatest invention in the history of mankind.

That would be alcohol 

4 minutes ago, Roger_Mellie said:

Ironically, invented by the Arabs. In as much as it can be said to have been invented.

It’s much older than the Arabs there is a theory that gobiteki/ spelling which is reputed to be the the first place hunter gatherers gathered in numbers and started to farm was done so in part because of beer production

7 minutes ago, stokiescum said:

It’s much older than the Arabs there is a theory that gobiteki/ spelling which is reputed to be the the first place hunter gatherers gathered in numbers and started to farm was done so in part because of beer production

Undoubtedly. But distillation is widely credited to the Arabs.

49 minutes ago, Hopeful said:

Ask any chef on a ship.

This is true. But it doesn't say anything about the modern global supply chain. We could do what you suggest, but you'd have to sacrifice a significant proportion of global wealth and with it your share of that. 

You might be happy with that, and more power to you. I'm quite happy with my share and in my view the solution lies in progress, not regression to a more hand to mouth economy. Which ultimately, although it might not be immediately obvious, is what you're advocating.

Burn used plastic for power generation and it's a green material/ power source. Honestly, it's win win. 

My mate worked in a cement factory. They burned used tyres to produce the cement. At 1500 centigrade the tyres would vaporise.

11 minutes ago, Great Guy said:

Burn used plastic for power generation and it's a green material/ power source. Honestly, it's win win. 

My mate worked in a cement factory. They burned used tyres to produce the cement. At 1500 centigrade the tyres would vaporise.

Fuel at that scale is pretty much worthless. Burning it is a waste of carbon.

All the big projects are chemical to chemical. One of the easier (although still difficult) routes to recovering the carbon in plastic is gasification to syngas (a mix of CO and H2) followed by FT back to hydrocarbons or alternatively you can do methanol synthesis.

Methanol is one of the most versatile feedstocks imaginable, once you've got methanol you've got anything, olefins or with a bit more effort aromatics, and from there you're back at plastic.

8 minutes ago, Roger_Mellie said:

Methanol is one of the most versatile feedstocks imaginable, once you've got methanol you've got anything, olefins or with a bit more effort aromatics, and from there you're back at plastic.

I smell a process/chemical engineer.