DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Walking & Cycling Resources

Democorruptcy

Democorruptcy

Plotaroute

Only just found it but first impressions are very favourable.

I did an off road walk yesterday that I thought might be 7m or 8m. Each click you make on a satellite map is joined up to calculate the distance and it was 7.5m. You can save your routes making them public or private, so there are lots of other routes to explore. It's looks free but there is a premium version.

One percent

Thanks. I was using ViewRanger which charges for maps. I bought the maps I needed (just a specific area). Going back to it, they had deleted all my maps and gone subscription route. Bastards. I binned that and have been looking for an alternative 

Democorruptcy
1 hour ago, One percent said:

Thanks. I was using ViewRanger which charges for maps. I bought the maps I needed (just a specific area). Going back to it, they had deleted all my maps and gone subscription route. Bastards. I binned that and have been looking for an alternative 

This is an app I use on my phone for GPS. You can download the maps you are going to need on wifi before you set out, so it uses less data. Full ONS. There's a free and pro version.

Maverick

Looks good, though route count seems a bit low based on searches just done and time the site has been around. @Democorruptcy can you add some tags to make this thread easy to find in the future? Other walking / cycling resources sin a thread or this one would be good.

Democorruptcy
8 hours ago, onlyme said:

Looks good, though route count seems a bit low based on searches just done and time the site has been around. @Democorruptcy can you add some tags to make this thread easy to find in the future? Other walking / cycling resources sin a thread or this one would be good.

Maybe it would be better if TPTB just edit the thread title from Plotaroute to Walking and Cycling Resources

28 minutes ago, Democorruptcy said:

Maybe it would be better if TPTB just edit the thread title from Plotaroute to Walking and Cycling Resources

Thumbs up from me!

Democorruptcy

If anyone is having trouble finding satellites with the GPS on their phone, I find this works on mine:

Turn on GPS, turn on Location, turn off battery saving mode. Reboot, if either GPS or location has turned itself off, turn it back on again.

Roger_Mellie
On 30/04/2019 at 19:57, MrPin said:

Fuck me. Buy a map and a compass.

I assume you're having fun typing these messages out on a typewriter and faxing them onto the internet?

8 hours ago, Roger_Mellie said:

I assume you're having fun typing these messages out on a typewriter and faxing them onto the internet?

Steer by the stars. You still have to learn this BTW, for your Ship's masters certificate.

Roger_Mellie
1 hour ago, MrPin said:

Steer by the stars. You still have to learn this BTW, for your Ship's masters certificate.

Which is of tremendous use when you're out walkingO.o

On 06/05/2019 at 07:34, MrPin said:

I think I have mentioned my mate, who is from Ringwood, in Hampshire. He joined the Merchant Navy to "See The World". Whilst others on his course got sent to the Gulf, or the Pacific, his first assignment was on an oil tanker sailing permanently between Portsmouth, Southampton and the Isle of Wight. The first time it docked in Southampton he got off, walked home, and never went back.

1 minute ago, eight said:

I think I have mentioned my mate, who is from Ringwood, in Hampshire. He joined the Merchant Navy to "See The World". Whilst others on his course got sent to the Gulf, or the Pacific, his first assignment was on an oil tanker sailing permanently between Portsmouth, Southampton and the Isle of Wight. The first time it docked in Southampton he got off, walked home, and never went back.

He's no fucking Viking.

sukuinage

Bikemap is what I use for planning cycling routes.  Sends you on cycle tracks if they are there.  Very easy to upload to Garmin Connect for navigation.

Archived