• Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
One percent

A man of principle (he is a Tory though) hanged by his own petard. Or summat

I don’t think we have a thread on this

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-48126974

Gavin Williamson has been sacked as defence secretary following an inquiry into a leak from a top-level National Security Council meeting.

Downing Street said the PM had "lost confidence in his ability to serve" and Penny Mordaunt will take on the role.

The inquiry followed reports over a plan to allow Huawei limited access to help build the UK's new 5G network.

Mr Williamson, who has been defence secretary since 2017, "strenuously" denies leaking the information. 

In a meeting with Mr Williamson on Wednesday evening, Treason May told him she had information that provided "compelling evidence" that he was responsible for the unauthorised disclosure.

In a letter confirming his dismissal, she said: "No other, credible version of events to explain this leak has been identified."

Responding in a letter to the PM, Mr Williamson said he was "confident" that a "thorough and formal inquiry" would have "vindicated" his position.

I'm not sure why anyone thinks the US wouldn't put backdoors in their own hardware.

My guess is the whole thing is more about political friendships that military strategy. If it was about 100% security we'd be doing it ourselves.

May teetering on the brink... decides (without solid evidence it seems) to fire one of the people who'd be in line for her job

On the eve of the local elections, where the Cons are trying to say they're more credible and trustworthy than Labour.... Mmmmmm, not sure that's going to work out well for them tomorrow!

1 hour ago, Libspero said:

I'm not sure why anyone thinks the US wouldn't put backdoors in their own hardware.

My guess is the whole thing is more about political friendships that military strategy. If it was about 100% security we'd be doing it ourselves.

Already well documented that the US do this:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2014/05/photos-of-an-nsa-upgrade-factory-show-cisco-router-getting-implant/%3Famp%3D1

1 hour ago, Southmartin said:

May teetering on the brink... decides (without solid evidence it seems) to fire one of the people who'd be in line for her job

On the eve of the local elections, where the Cons are trying to say they're more credible and trustworthy than Labour.... Mmmmmm, not sure that's going to work out well for them tomorrow!

Wlliamson  is probably  no loss but clearly this is about a lot more than just him or indeed all the other feuding and posturing in the Cabinet at the moment. It goes right to the heart of Britain's foreign relations policy since Suez . Now countries do make and break alliances as circumstances change but the UK is cruising for a bruising if it thinks a cheaper 5G network is sufficient justification for thumbing our noses at the Yanks and cosying up to the Chinese. 

1 hour ago, spygirl said:

Im keeping abreast as this situation evolves.

Hopefully therell be no more big boobs.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/video/tv/tory-mp-penny-mordaunt-with-an-impressive-backflip-off-diving-board-on-itvs-splash/

She'll be dreadful as Defence Secretary.  But then politicians nearly always are.

[very few votes in killing foreigners.  Well, apart from Argentinians, who seemingly are special in that regard]

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, TheBlueCat said:

I think the point is that one of the main beneficiaries of this process is  UK intelligence itself via the 5 Eye alliance. I doubt the Chinese are going reciprocate in the same way. To me it seems a dumb issue for the UK government to go out on a limb over particularly at the moment.

Edited by Virgil Caine

32 minutes ago, Virgil Caine said:

I think the point is that one of the main beneficiaries of this process is  UK intelligence itself via the 5 Eye alliance. I doubt the Chinese are going reciprocate in the same way. To me it seems a dumb issue for the UK government to go out on a limb over particularly at the moment.

Yes, if we have to give data to a foreign power then definitely rather the US than China. The more important point for me is to realize that absolutely governments back door comms kit and anyone who thinks otherwise is deluding themselves.

2 hours ago, Libspero said:

D5gcJyhWsAAtjXF.jpg

3 minutes ago, Burned Out said:

D5gcJyhWsAAtjXF.jpg

Fuck. Good find. Our politicians and establishment are bought and paid for aren’t they. 

Lets hope that trump is successful in draining the swamp. We are well fucked if he doesn’t. 

Further evidence, as if any needed, that Aunt May has less than zero political acumen.

Even if Williamson is beyond doubt proven to have leaked politically sensitive information contravening the Official Secrets Act, which as many, are keen to point out, there is no suggestion whatsoever of allegedly leaking security sensitive information, is there any sense in making an enemy of such a formidably adept former Tory Chief Whip.

Aunt May is completely clueless.

6 minutes ago, Bedrag Justesen said:

Relegated in 1942.

Just carried out an internet search to discover your reference, without success. Our reputation for perfidiousness? was still in use fairly recently.

In arguing for a "hard" Brexit, and the EU rejecting a possible extension requested by the UK of the deadline to leave the EU, the Brexit-supporting British MP Mark Francois addressed the European Council in April 2019: "If you now try to hold on to us against our will, you will be facing Perfidious Albion on speed. It would therefore be much better for all our sakes if we were to pursue our separate destinies, in a spirit of mutual respect."[

1 hour ago, TheBlueCat said:

Yes, if we have to give data to a foreign power then definitely rather the US than China. The more important point for me is to realize that absolutely governments back door comms kit and anyone who thinks otherwise is deluding themselves.

If one believes SpyCatcher the UK intelligence services  have been able to use domestic phones as listening devices since at least the 1960's without putting external bugs in them.

14 minutes ago, sleepwello'nights said:

Just carried out an internet search to discover your reference, without success. Our reputation for perfidiousness? was still in use fairly recently.

My apologies. :)

A rather ancient and tortured reference to Tobruk and Singapore in West Bromwich.