• Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
MrPin

Beards

To have a beard is cool when they are uncommon.

When they becoem common every twentysomething bloke sports one to try to fit in.

Then the cool people stop wearing them. Then they become uncommon again. And repeat.

I have never had a beard because I am not cool.  And I like to have a wet shave every morning.

3 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

To have a beard is cool when they are uncommon.

When they becoem common every twentysomething bloke sports one to try to fit in.

Then the cool people stop wearing them. Then they become uncommon again. And repeat.

I have never had a beard because I am not cool.  And I like to have a wet shave every morning.

I've never grown a proper beard, only been a bit unshaven occasionally, but I am very cool. Fashion is usually a load of people trying to be individual by doing the same thing.

Some people can't grow a beard. Me for example. I get a sort of hairy looking face but no way is it a beard. 

I grew a "beard" for my first job after leaving school in the hope that I would look older going to pubs with colleagues. Eventually one took pity on me and said why don't you put a bit of milk on that and get the cat to lick it off :( 

I've had a beard for just about all my adult life.  I hate shaving and have a weak chin/jaw and prefer how I look with a beard.  A few years ago before they were trendy women would come up to me on nights out and say ergh why have you got that thing? I hate beards you'd look so much better without it.  Nowadays they come up to me and say I love beards can I stroke it? They usually get told where to go (unless they're really fit;)) People are fickle creatures.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, MrPin said:

Very few blokes I know have beards. It seems to be a fashion thing with younger chaps.

An excellent opportunity for Chancellor Hammond to introduce a beard tax like Peter the Great etc

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/why-tsar-peter-great-established-beard-tax-180964693/

Anway I am sure pogonophobia will soon be added as a hate crime by our legislators outlawing this type of thread 

Edited by Virgil Caine

Often feminist types lament about the monthly curse of approx 5-6 days of menstruation that women have to deal with. Plus underarm, leg exfoliating etc. All easily hidden though!

Not too bad really in comparison to daily facial hair growth that men have to deal with by either shaving or grooming a beard.

9 minutes ago, Van Lady said:

Often feminist types lament about the monthly curse of approx 5-6 days of menstruation that women have to deal with. Plus underarm, leg exfoliating etc. All easily hidden though!

Not too bad really in comparison to daily facial hair growth that men have to deal with by either shaving or grooming a beard.

As I noted I actually enjoy my morning shave; there was a shaving thread where we tried to outdo each other with badger hair brushes and name brand safety razors.

Any man who moans about shaving is not to be believed.  It's great.

1 minute ago, Frank Hovis said:

As I noted I actually enjoy my morning shave; there was a shaving thread where we tried to outdo each other with badger hair brushes and name brand safety razors.

Any man who moans about shaving is not to be believed.  It's great.

You're a better man than me Frank. I find it an intolerable chore.

I'd suggest the question is actually 'why do men shave?'  The main advantage seems to be that it makes you look like an adolescent, which seems like a strange goal.  It is also a bit of a faff (despite Frank's protestations), and requires all sorts of strange tools to assist.  I'd have thought it would have made more sense for the 'norm' to be bearded with a few trendies who shave.

[I am, of course, devoid of any fashion sense]

I know a few people with beards and the most common explanation, with a few variations, is "I can't be arsed to shave and I don't want to look like Bob fucking Geldof so I let it grow long".

I do not like my beard. Women go nuts over it. It only gets to 5 or 6 days before I trim it back or shave it off. But women come up and touch it. Female friends seem quite excited when I have it. A lesbian friend recently told me how good it looks and gets seemingly excited just mentioning it. It is bizarre as most of my life I have heen clean shaven.

Have been unshaven / beard most of adult life because wet shaving goes wrong, clipper beard and hair at same time. Am told the grey flecked beard is attractive, but haven't got lucky in awful long time so must work on being less miserable.

1 hour ago, The Masked Tulip said:

I do not like my beard. Women go nuts over it. It only gets to 5 or 6 days before I trim it back or shave it off. But women come up and touch it. Female friends seem quite excited when I have it. A lesbian friend recently told me how good it looks and gets seemingly excited just mentioning it. It is bizarre as most of my life I have heen clean shaven.

Yes I don’t like having a beard either but both wife and daughter insist It looks good and complain if I shave it off. It’s a bit “Pep Guardiola” but less well-groomed. What I really dislike is the maintenance, which is why it usually gets shaved right off after it’s reached the point that serious maintenance becomes necessary. 

7 hours ago, JoeDavola said:

A beard helps cover my odd face and possibly strengthen my weak chin.

Plus a quick trim with the clippers every few days is much easier than a clean shave every morning.

Yes one of my mates has a big orange ( abit white now) Viking beard. When I saw his old passport picture, he has a round baby face. Whereas I have a square chin, but not quite Judge Dredd.

9 hours ago, Libspero said:

I think I’d rather bring back the moustache 

Now that's something I have tried, but I didn't look Mexican, or Turkish enough