• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
One percent

Mass catching and killing of wild birds

This is lining up to be an environmental disaster. I’m suprised we are being told about this. 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6993621/Where-swallows-gone.html

in recent days, a troubling question has been asked with ever-greater concern from one end of the country to the other: where are all the swallows this year?

There are none on the small farm in Cambridgeshire where I was born, and where I still live and work. There have been swallows on the farm for most of my life and when I was a boy, their nests got well into double figures each summer.

Over recent years we have had just three or four. And today, there is no sign of them in my yard.

Three years ago a neighbour with horses – which mean flies, which equals swallow food – had 14 nests. So far this year, he has none.

Other contacts around the country have the same dismal story – from the Isles of Scilly, Wiltshire, Oxfordshire and Norfolk, to East Yorkshire, the Isle of Man and the Scottish Borders.

They all believe that swallow numbers have plummeted. Worryingly, the RSPB says they should start arriving in March, and now it's May.

The simple truth is that our migrating birds are being 'harvested' in huge numbers as they fly south in the autumn and north in the spring, and many of our conservation charities have not yet caught up with the horrific consequences.

Trapped in cheap Chinese mist nets slung between tall poles, millions of our summer visitors are being caught, sold and eaten.

Accurate figures are hard to find, but up to 140 million birds a year are being slaughtered as they pass through just one country: Egypt.

A investigation by German TV estimated that mist nests are erected along 700 kilometres of the Egyptian coast and in the Nile Valley, capturing a range of birds from the stunning golden oriole to the tiny but beautiful willow warbler.

There is similar bloodshed in Lebanon, Morocco and in most of the North African countries.

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, One percent said:

This is lining up to be an environmental disaster. I’m suprised we are being told about this. 

in recent days, a troubling question has been asked with ever-greater concern from one end of the country to the other: where are all the swallows this year?

There are none on the small farm in Cambridgeshire where I was born, and where I still live and work. There have been swallows on the farm for most of my life and when I was a boy, their nests got well into double figures each summer.

Over recent years we have had just three or four. And today, there is no sign of them in my yard.

Three years ago a neighbour with horses – which mean flies, which equals swallow food – had 14 nests. So far this year, he has none.

Other contacts around the country have the same dismal story – from the Isles of Scilly, Wiltshire, Oxfordshire and Norfolk, to East Yorkshire, the Isle of Man and the Scottish Borders.

They all believe that swallow numbers have plummeted. Worryingly, the RSPB says they should start arriving in March, and now it's May.

The simple truth is that our migrating birds are being 'harvested' in huge numbers as they fly south in the autumn and north in the spring, and many of our conservation charities have not yet caught up with the horrific consequences.

Trapped in cheap Chinese mist nets slung between tall poles, millions of our summer visitors are being caught, sold and eaten.

Accurate figures are hard to find, but up to 140 million birds a year are being slaughtered as they pass through just one country: Egypt.

A investigation by German TV estimated that mist nests are erected along 700 kilometres of the Egyptian coast and in the Nile Valley, capturing a range of birds from the stunning golden oriole to the tiny but beautiful willow warbler.

There is similar bloodshed in Lebanon, Morocco and in most of the North African countries.

Shocking & stupid.

Send Emma Thompson over there? (I love small birds.)

Had a pair of swifts (or similar) inside the house just a couple of days ago,  I could hear some cheeping and found them happily flying around & perching on our many wooden beams. (Presumably thinking this was looking like a good place to build a nest?) Left a window open and when I came back they had both gone. Phew. (Plenty of places outside to nest but fewer predators inside our home perhaps?)

Definitely fewer such birds this year. Sad.

We do still have cuckoos tho. (Can't see them but we can hear them!)

Edited by whocares

This is balls IMO.

Was in Sixt Fer a Cheval on Wednesday, the air was thick with swallows and martins. But then, it’s a protected mountain national park where there are no insecticides used for miles around, so there is something for them to eat. 

IMO the real problem is insecticides, people have always trapped birds.

5 minutes ago, swiss_democracy_for_all said:

This is balls IMO.

Was in Sixt Fer a Cheval on Wednesday, the air was thick with swallows and martins. But then, it’s a protected mountain national park where there are no insecticides used for miles around, so there is something for them to eat. 

The horseshoe is one of my favourite places in the world. I regularly go to visit a mate who lives in Sixt.

Done a few squeaky bum walks up in those mountains.

56 minutes ago, One percent said:

Never mind Chris Packam  has ensured that they will all be replace with crows magpies and the like ...nothing to see here move along 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, swiss_democracy_for_all said:

This is balls IMO.

The reason most small bird populations have declined in the UK is down to arable farming practises (grubbing up hedge rows, herbicides and insecticides) and people concreting over gardens and wild spaces not blokes with guns.

Edited by Virgil Caine

I have stood transfixed for an hour watching swallows murmurating. One of nature's marvels. God's lava lamp.

It takes a lort of swallows to make one of those.

It seems that corvids are now the new hate figures. Next they will be moaning about the lack of crows,

1 hour ago, One percent said:

They'll be catching the African swallow, not the European swallow.

1 hour ago, Happy Renting said:

I have stood transfixed for an hour watching swallows murmurating. One of nature's marvels. God's lava lamp.

It seems that corvids are now the new hate figures. Next they will be moaning about the lack of crows,

You are Chris Packam and i claim my five pounds 

On 05/05/2019 at 21:29, Happy Renting said:

Starlings I think. 

5 hours ago, One percent said:

And Basque country in France.  Caught in nets, and put in pies.

4 minutes ago, 201p said:

Too many people on the planet - we will eat everything like locusts.

We're not far from eating everything including the locusts

Its mainly Malta.

They are total cunts.

You have to see the shooting to velueve it.

We saw one largish bird - purple heron - take to the wing and fly fly down this valley at tge back 9f rental. Bang bang bang poor bastard never made it 300m.

A bartender down the front said Oh 3 swans landed in the bay. My kids were feeding them then hunters - as tgey call them - turned in some boats and shot them.

7 hours ago, One percent said:

Undecided on this.

Migeation is variable and can be hit n miss some years.