• Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  

If your local moon-sighting committee saw the new crescent moon this evening, may I bid you the start of a spiritually enlightening holy month.

I shall, of course be praying that you have visions of the Lord Jesus, particularly on the nights of power.

As well as giving topical tips on how to avoid food waste during this month of solemn fasting.

And daily expositions on the koran.

Enjoy.

Oddly enough, I decided to do a bit of a fast today. Went for a cycle. Had egg & chips in a caff. Cycled home.

Got some reduced priced prawn cocktail in my local supermarket. Had cheese on toast an hour ago and now, with the sun setting, I feel like something more substantial. Might have a nice sausage sarnie later.

8 hours ago, The Masked Tulip said:

Oddly enough, I decided to do a bit of a fast today. Went for a cycle. Had egg & chips in a caff. Cycled home.

Got some reduced priced prawn cocktail in my local supermarket. Had cheese on toast an hour ago and now, with the sun setting, I feel like something more substantial. Might have a nice sausage sarnie later.

I was gearing up to do an exposition on the shahada, and SKU has beaten me to it...

The Saatchi Gallery, being edgy and all that, not afraid to court controversy over religiously provocative artwork; have, of course, given their full backing to the artist and made a bold stand for artistic integrity. Oh, sorry. That's the wrong script. That was the line they took last time they decided to offend random groups of people.

Anyway, you mention prawns...

Interesting...

So, halal, haram or just makruh?

Why is it important?

Remember there are two groups of people out there trying to convince you that all muslims believe exactly the same thing about everything. If one muslim is offended; all muslims are offended. And if you're not offended, you aint no true muslim, bruv.

And then along crawls the humble prawn...

Sowing dietary division and discord wherever it goes...

So, SKU's artwork. Is it halal, haram or  makruh? Can muslims not be trusted to make their own minds up; rather than have an "expert" tell them that if they're not offended, then they aren't a true muslim?

13 hours ago, The Masked Tulip said:

Oddly enough, I decided to do a bit of a fast today. Went for a cycle. Had egg & chips in a caff. ..

This egg and chip fast sounds promising. Does it convey the same benefits as more traditional fasting?

I used to work in the Middle East and it was more boring than normal during Ramadan. One messed up thing about the Middle East is that they don't announce public holidays until the week before the holiday. The holidays are based upon the phases of the moon and places like Saudi would literally send up a fighter jet to see the moon. If the moon was right the pilot would announce a public holiday.

It was absolutely crap for planning holidays etc. 

I am fasting on Bud Lite (3.5%) instead of  Tanglefoot, Doombar, Gauloise (not really the name of Lidl Own Brand Lager but can't remember.)

This is to invoke the Holy Grail (smaller beer gut)

2 minutes ago, Great Guy said:

I used to work in the Middle East and it was more boring than normal during Ramadan. One messed up thing about the Middle East is that they don't announce public holidays until the week before the holiday. The holidays are based upon the phases of the moon and places like Saudi would literally send up a fighter jet to see the moon. If the moon was right the pilot would announce a public holiday.

It was absolutely crap for planning holidays etc. 

That's a bit weird given anyone can precisely predict the timing of a new moon and its position. Was it that the moon actually had to be visible with no atmospheric quirks hiding it? Or did the Saudi just not trust the infidel mathematics?

35 minutes ago, steppensheep said:

This egg and chip fast sounds promising. Does it convey the same benefits as more traditional fasting?

I just had my second helping for ramadan and, so far, it seems to be working. I only had a small portion and, whilst not entirely satisified, I do feel less hungry than I did 30 minutes ago. I might add some toast & jam to see if things improve in the less hungry stakes.

If more muslims ate during the day I am sure that their blood sugar levels would not fall and that there would be less grouchiness. 

20 minutes ago, Funn3r said:

That's a bit weird given anyone can precisely predict the timing of a new moon and its position. Was it that the moon actually had to be visible with no atmospheric quirks hiding it? Or did the Saudi just not trust the infidel mathematics?

It is the holy fighter jet that truly sees the moon rather than the infidel science that knows where it is and what phase it is in.

It is religion on a par with the Zigguraut builders who thought by climbing to the top there were appreciably nearer the stars than were the peasants a hundred feet below.

49 minutes ago, Funn3r said:

It's just a cultural thing. They've based holidays on seeing the phases of the moon for the last 15 hundred years. They're not going to change now.

Expats would get fucked over as they'd guess when public holidays were and book flights/ holiday. If they got it wrong they'd be flying back to the Middle East at the start of a bank holiday.

5 minutes ago, Great Guy said:

Another weird thing in the Middle East at Ramadam is the big displays of Vimto in supermarkets... They use it to break their fasts...

How very odd.  I've always regarded Vimto as a northern English drink as "Bucky" and Irn Bru are Scottish drinks.

I like Vimto but you don't tend to see it much down south.

3 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

How very odd.  I've always regarded Vimto as a northern English drink as "Bucky" and Irn Bru are Scottish drinks.

I like Vimto but you don't tend to see it much down south.

Used to drink it when I visited my uncle's in Scotland.  Seeing it again was one of the few highlights of working in the ME

ha yes Vimto was known as Ramadan juice where I worked in ME. Also, although the locals fasted during the day the hospitals were always full at night of Arabs who has gorged themselves with food and needed their stomachs pumped. Not really in the spirit of understanding what poor people have to go through

13 hours ago, ashestoashes said:

thought the sku gallery issue was over blasphemy

You say blasphemy, I say mental sloppiness. It all comes down to the question, what is the point of art?

Should it entertain, educate or provoke an emotional response?

SKU's art is provocative in that it raises interesting existential questions. The superimposition of the shahada and the stylised US Flag highlights an interesting point. To a culture which views the burning of the US Flag as an obligation; what sort of conflict is caused by the addition of the shahada to that flag?

The juxtaposition of naked women also conjures a fascinating dilemma. If you believe that the shahada should be heard everywhere, than that includes any and every situation. To say that this image is blasphemous is not merely intellectually lazy, but is itself inherently kufr; essentially stating that some situations are irredeemable, and that therefore allah is not the all-powerful god described in the shahada.

So, what are the options for a muslim? Run like a cowardly dog from difficult questions while yelping "blasphemy"; but in doing so, betray your own craven unbelief. Or look within to find the uncomfortable answer to a difficult question, raised not by words, but by a simple image.

6 hours ago, Strawberry said:

Also, although the locals fasted during the day the hospitals were always full at night of Arabs who has gorged themselves with food and needed their stomachs pumped.

They hadn't choked on their own Vimto then?

14 hours ago, XswampyX said:

Well that depends on if you are a religious nut job or not.

Sku-art-shahada.jpg.463a6242e4383b539d30191ad598fa61.jpg

If I was head of any country I would make sure that flag pattern was on all my banknotes, which would be plastic and smeared with pork fat. It looks brilliant and would work really well with the latest holographic effects. De La Rue would be in heaven.

11 hours ago, Funn3r said:

I swear to god, or Allah, that the French newsreader bint was prattling on about Ramadam tonight and she claimed that "they have to have spotters because it is scientifically impossible to predict the phases of the moon". The woman is so stupid she couldn't even fart and  break wind at the same time. Every time she's on  it is the same stream of idiocy about something or other.

2 hours ago, unregistered_guest said:

You say blasphemy, I say mental sloppiness. It all comes down to the question, what is the point of art?

Should it entertain, educate or provoke an emotional response?

SKU's art is provocative in that it raises interesting existential questions. The superimposition of the shahada and the stylised US Flag highlights an interesting point. To a culture which views the burning of the US Flag as an obligation; what sort of conflict is caused by the addition of the shahada to that flag?

The juxtaposition of naked women also conjures a fascinating dilemma. If you believe that the shahada should be heard everywhere, than that includes any and every situation. To say that this image is blasphemous is not merely intellectually lazy, but is itself inherently kufr; essentially stating that some situations are irredeemable, and that therefore allah is not the all-powerful god described in the shahada.

So, what are the options for a muslim? Run like a cowardly dog from difficult questions while yelping "blasphemy"; but in doing so, betray your own craven unbelief. Or look within to find the uncomfortable answer to a difficult question, raised not by words, but by a simple image.

there seem to be very few things where the answer can be found in logic and reason under that ideology

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, ashestoashes said:

there seem to be very few things where the answer can be found in logic and reason under that ideology

In that case, I shall make my next post in the style of islamic apologist and renowned scholar of comparative religion, the late Ahmad Deedat. This, OF COURSE, means that I am compelled to RANDOMLY capitalise WORDS; and must include derogatory comments about how STUPID those dumb Christians and Jews are compared to CLEVER muslims. The most challenging part is coming up with an egregiously bad example of his style of reasoning, but I think the following one fits the bill.

There is a man in a city in the north of England who mistakenly believes that muslims have TWO GODS. I am impressed that he can count that far, because dumb Christians tell me all the time that they believe in one GOD, but when I count their gods, I ALWAYS find they believe in THREE of them. His argument is that since the HOLY  koran shares the attributes of allah; and that because allah will not share his attributes with any other, either the koran is FALSE, or allah is false - in which case we wouldn't believe in TWO gods. So he disproves his OWN faulty logic.

Such breathtakingly idiotic logic can be disproved by a CHILD merely reciting the shahada - but I shall prove from the Christian's OWN scriptures that we muslims believe in no gods at all, and neither should he!

Every muslim child knows how to recite the shahada 
There is no god but God. Muhammad is the messenger of God

It is one of our FIVE pillars! But have you noticed how it starts? THERE IS NO GOD! Now we all know that those dumb Christians and sneaky Jews have altered their scriptures; despite the holy koran telling us that this impossible because God's word is incorruptible - but David's Zabur says exactly the SAME as the beginning of the shahada THERE IS NO GOD! Next time your dumb Christian friend asks you to PROVE the truth of the holy koran using his Bible, turn to Psalm 14 and show him that his own HOLY BOOK agrees with the mighty shahada that there is NO GOD. This is why we can confidently claim that the holy koran is as divine as allah - because there is NO GOD! And those dumb Christians have the same written in their Bibles TOO!  

Edited by unregistered_guest

20 hours ago, ashestoashes said:

you're preaching to the converted

That was Deedat's problem too. Much of his writing, instead of attempting to give a rational explanation to Christians of muslim beliefs, focused on a muslim audience's perspective. So, in one of his books, by attempting to prove from the Bible that Jesus is not God, he instead conclusively demonstrated that Jesus is not allah. Something which any muslim child with the merest smattering of knowledge of islam could have reasoned. 

But then, that's the core of the matter. If you could merely reason with people and see them convert to islam because of your superior logic; they could just as easily be reasoned out of it. There are emotional, and dare I say it, spiritual, dimensions to apologetics.

Take for example the fact that Mo married and consummated his marriage to Aisha while she was still a child. We therefore look at the cold, hard fact and pronounce that Mo was therefore a paedo. This immediately brings the charge that we are slandering the prophet. But please note, this means something very different to its English legal definition. In this case it does not matter if what you have said is true or not. If, by what you say or do you belittle the prophet and make people think less of him. You have slandered the prophet.

And this is another reason why I am convinced that islam can never succeed. Because every time someone uses the disingenuous approach of islamic apologetics to tell me why I should believe the koran; all they end up doing is cause their sceptical audience to have an even worse opinion of Mo. In short, they defame the prophet.

And because muslims, like us, are only human, no matter how well intentioned they are; they will inevitably stumble and fail morally. Every time a muslim lies to you or cheats you; they cause you to think unfavourably of their prophet. They, by their actions, slander the prophet - and therefore, by their blasphemy laws, deserve death. 

This is why renowned islamic scholar and Nobel Peace Prize-winner, Barack Hussein Obama once declared, "The future does not belong to those who slander the prophet of islam." For deep down, I'm sure he too knows that every muslim is equally guilty of slandering their prophet.