• Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
spygirl

You fat bastard!

Pretty concerning that one steward died while trying to open a rear door.

You would expect emergency exits to be easily opened for exactly this reason.

No doubt it’s just poor Mail journalism,  but it would still be interesting to know why they couldn’t escape out of the back.

6 minutes ago, Libspero said:

No doubt it’s just poor Mail journalism,  but it would still be interesting to know why they couldn’t escape out of the back.

Another fat bastard?

4 minutes ago, Libspero said:

Picture explains that, I think.

Fatty was at the front and took his backpack but tbh if he was in an aisle seat and stood up, grabbed it from above him and moved forward straightaway it wouldn't add any time to the evacuation. 

Survivors described how people panicked as the plane came in to land trailing thick smoke and flames, rushing to the escape exits at the front of the aircraft

1 minute ago, swiss_democracy_for_all said:

Fatty was at the front and took his backpack but tbh if he was in an aisle seat and stood up, grabbed it from above him and moved forward straightaway it wouldn't add any time to the evacuation. 

Survivors described how people panicked as the plane came in to land trailing thick smoke and flames, rushing to the escape exits at the front of the aircraft

Bet it was at least a 30 second exercise in fumbling and fucking about though. The amount of time some people take to complete the simplest of tasks when getting off an aeroplane never ceases to amaze me.

6 minutes ago, swiss_democracy_for_all said:

It would have slowed things. Even if by only a second that's too much. 

1 minute ago, TheBlueCat said:

Bet it was at least a 30 second exercise in fumbling and fucking about though. The amount of time some people take to complete the simplest of tasks when getting off an aeroplane never ceases to amaze me.

If he'd been fumbling about for a bag and was between me and the door it would have been him that died and me being prosecuted for punching him unconscious. I have difficulty believing people just stood there waiting for him to do that.

4 minutes ago, swiss_democracy_for_all said:

If he'd been fumbling about for a bag and was between me and the door it would have been him that died and me being prosecuted for punching him unconscious. I have difficulty believing people just stood there waiting for him to do that.

Looks like he then went straight to the desk after he got out to demand an instant refund. O.o

I think it's safe to assume he's a bit of a tool.

1 hour ago, swiss_democracy_for_all said:

You and me too but read some of the first hand accounts of the 1985 Manchester crash for example to see how passive people can be in an emergency. If I was in a crash where I needed  to get rapidly to an exit I'd climb over the seatbacks and bypass the aisles (some of the Manchester survivors did that).

1 hour ago, TheBlueCat said:

It's one of my pet hates how long it takes people to get on a plane and sit down. IMHO people should really have their book/magazine/tablet in their hand before they get in the plane. They shouldn't be getting on the plane then fucking about looking in hand luggage when standing in the aisle. 

As I mentioned in another thread I think the onboard fire may have been caused by a bomb. Either failing to explode properly or a deliberate incendiary device. I would speculate that could be confused for a lightning strike. Not many people from the back of the plane got out so there would be few eyewitnesses left. ‘Tis the season.

54 minutes ago, TheBlueCat said:

You and me too but read some of the first hand accounts of the 1985 Manchester crash for example to see how passive people can be in an emergency. If I was in a crash where I needed  to get rapidly to an exit I'd climb over the seatbacks and bypass the aisles (some of the Manchester survivors did that).

Remember, for scenarios like this:  If you are going to have to panic, it's best to panic first.

1 hour ago, TheBlueCat said:

I'm sure I've mentioned this before but they have an evacuation simulator at Cranfield. 

2016-04-licensefree-cabinevacuationsimul

I was disappointed I never got to volunteer while I was there. Apparently they offer monetary incentive for the first few people out to simulate panic. I was told that the video footage is quite an eye opener, seeing people scrambling over seat backs etc. 

1 hour ago, The Generation Game said:

I'm sure I've mentioned this before but they have an evacuation simulator at Cranfield. 

I was disappointed I never got to volunteer while I was there. Apparently they offer monetary incentive for the first few people out to simulate panic. I was told that the video footage is quite an eye opener, seeing people scrambling over seat backs etc. 

Sounds dangerous!

2 hours ago, Great Guy said:

It's one of my pet hates how long it takes people to get on a plane and sit down. IMHO people should really have their book/magazine/tablet in their hand before they get in the plane. They shouldn't be getting on the plane then fucking about looking in hand luggage when standing in the aisle. 

Bit tricky to carry a small suitcase in one hand, tickets to wave to the stewardess as you enter in the other hand, and magazine/book in the... er.. third hand?

18 minutes ago, DeepLurker said:

Bit tricky to carry a small suitcase in one hand, tickets to wave to the stewardess as you enter in the other hand, and magazine/book in the... er.. third hand?

Use your teeth dammit!

2 hours ago, DeepLurker said:

But this is the thing that causes all the problems.  Air travel used to be rather simple -- give luggage to airline to sort out, travel with a little bag.

Nowadays everyone travels with the largest possible bags that they're allowed -- I'd imagine that 'fat-guy' wasn't causing problems with his little messenger bag carrying his passport, a book and the Daily Mail, but because he had a huge travel-bag and a huger trolley thing.

IMO air travel should be small bag in cabin only, rest in hold.  This would suit me -- I try to travel light.