• Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

spygirl

Tourists Fuckoff

Posted (edited)

If this is prolonged (years), we'll see property prices fall by a lot. No use if you have holiday homes that you can't use or get to.

I've noticed crime rising in the last few days. Overheard a shop keeper saying shop lifting has increased. There has been spray paint daubed all over the local streets, one car has had it's headlights sprayed over in black paint, and the number plates painted over - I should have taken a picture, I may do later. One has had their rear door passenger side glass window smashed in, and it's been taped over with gaffer tape.

Empty homes in remoter areas could become vulnerable if the owners can't check on them , and mix that with a lot of bored youths with no school or work to go to, and you have trouble.

Don't expect to rent out your holiday home either this year as no one will be holidaying.

Edited by 201p

25 minutes ago, Democorruptcy said:

On the news yesterday it said there were five million 2nd homes.

There's your housing crisis right there.

Yes, but it is not illegal to have a second home.

33 minutes ago, Democorruptcy said:

On the news yesterday it said there were five million 2nd homes.

There's your housing crisis right there.

I heard that ant thought WTF.

Add that to the numbers owned by overseas investors and you don't need to build any new housing for years.

No wonder the government are so reluctant to tax them properly.

24 minutes ago, gaztastic said:

Maybe that's where we've gone wrong

People shouldbe free to have as many homes as they like

However, they should not be given lower tax to support them.

Until recetnly 2nd homes only paid 50% of ctax.

They need to put a universal 2x ctax rate for 2nd homes. No man/wife allowance.

Firunished holiday lets ned to ya council tax.

19 minutes ago, spygirl said:

People shouldbe free to have as many homes as they like

However, they should not be given lower tax to support them.

Until recetnly 2nd homes only paid 50% of ctax.

They need to put a universal 2x ctax rate for 2nd homes. No man/wife allowance.

Firunished holiday lets ned to ya council tax.

So an unmarried couple with a home each pays less tax than a married couple.

not thought this through, have ya?

In Melbourne, what they did was bring in an extra tax if you didn't live there all year round.  Based it on power use and water use.  Brilliant idea.

Scrap Council Tax.

Immediately separate out Education, Adult Social Care from local councils as the costs have spiralled out of control. Return both to central government oversight.

Adult Social Care is (was) a bottomless pit with an ageing demographic. Education has seen salaries of teachers rocket and head teachers with pay and pensions so high that schools have no money for pencils. It's out of control.

Councils are closing or ceasing services and facilities so they should reduce Council Tax by 70%.

Main problem is councils have become so used to raking in money and compounding it upwards every year they spend it on all sorts of shit. Such as housing, feeding, and educating economic migrants from the ends of the earth.

20% of every CT bill is purely to pay council pensions.

Meanwhile streets are filled with potholes and bins are left stinking for three weeks.

6 minutes ago, Bedrag Justesen said:

Scrap Council Tax.

Immediately separate out Education, Adult Social Care from local councils as the costs have spiralled out of control. Return both to central government oversight.

Adult Social Care is (was) a bottomless pit with an ageing demographic. Education has seen salaries of teachers rocket and head teachers with pay and pensions so high that schools have no money for pencils. It's out of control.

Councils are closing or ceasing services and facilities so they should reduce Council Tax by 70%.

Main problem is councils have become so used to raking in money and compounding it upwards every year they spend it on all sorts of shit. Such as housing, feeding, and educating economic migrants from the ends of the earth.

20% of every CT bill is purely to pay council pensions.

Meanwhile streets are filled with potholes and bins are left stinking for three weeks.

Rename it Property Tax - this is one of the oldest forms of taxation and to my mind one of the fairest as you get to choose, within limits, how much you pay.  Like choosing how much road tax to pay when you buy a new car.  Have a multiplier upon second and third homes and also on second or third cars.  Ensure that anyone who wants a small house and small car is paying a reasonable amount and then beyond that it's up to the individual.

This then all goes to central government.  Councils lose tax raising powers and are instead funded based upon a standard formula - number of miles of road network they are maintaining, number of people in need of Adult Social Care, school places etc.

There remain some services which are better delivered locally so you need to retain an administrative body and in order for those services to be dleivered in line with the wishes of the local population you also have an elected body, albeit reduced in size, overseeing it.

2 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

There remain some services which are better delivered locally so you need to retain an administrative body and in order for those services to be dleivered in line with the wishes of the local population you also have an elected body, albeit reduced in size, overseeing it.

No taxation without representation is complete bollocks here.

Many, if not most council policies are unpopular, taking no account of locals views. Whether employing over zealous litter wardens, raising car park charges, or local planning decisions which are often overturned on appeal to Welsh  Assembly anyway.

Even within councils we are paying for legions of councillors whose views are ignored by a small elite of Executive. Waste of time and money.

People seem focused on moneyed second home owners and grockels descending on tiny coastal communities, eating all their food, overloading medical services, everywhere from Abersoch to Skye.

In North Wales we have an underclass, not of local homeless, but benefit dependent people from all across the North West and Midlands, never mind Syria.

Nobody asked us if we want Rhyl or Colwyn Bay to become coastal bedsit lands filled with drug addicts and miscreants from the arse of Liverpool, Manchester, Wolverhampton and Walsall.

Councils are a fucking liability.  >:(

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, 201p said:

If this is prolonged (years), we'll see property prices fall by a lot. No use if you have holiday homes that you can't use or get to.

I've noticed crime rising in the last few days. Overheard a shop keeper saying shop lifting has increased. There has been spray paint daubed all over the local streets, one car has had it's headlights sprayed over in black paint, and the number plates painted over - I should have taken a picture, I may do later. One has had their rear door passenger side glass window smashed in, and it's been taped over with gaffer tape.

Empty homes in remoter areas could become vulnerable if the owners can't check on them , and mix that with a lot of bored youths with no school or work to go to, and you have trouble.

Don't expect to rent out your holiday home either this year as no one will be holidaying.

Sorry to any 2nd home owners on here but the type of person who owns an extra house purely for holiday purposes (I've never met one) must be a unique kind of wanker. Just like BTL slumlords they should be taxed out of existence.

Edited by gibbon

3 minutes ago, gibbon said:

Sorry to any 2nd home owners on here but the type of person who owns an extra house purely for holiday purposes (I've never met one) must be a unique kind of wanker. Just like BTL slumlords they should be taxed out of existence.

I had one when I lived in london about 50 miles out.  Inherited.  Small flat.

Was a real boon to be able to get out of the big city every weekend.  Used the local pub and shops a lot.  But was always aware that we could not possibly be contributing as much as a full time local would.

2 minutes ago, Bedrag Justesen said:

In North Wales we have an underclass, not of local homeless, but benefit dependent people from all across the North West and Midlands, never mind Syria.

Nobody asked us if we want Rhyl or Colwyn Bay to become coastal bedsit lands filled with drug addicts and miscreants from the arse of Liverpool, Manchester, Wolverhampton and Walsall.

Councils are a fucking liability.  

I think you'll find that's little to do with the council but is another curse of our "needs based" benefits system.

Though they can bring in a strong "local allocations policy" to mean that they do get offered to locals first.

1 hour ago, gibbon said:

Agree but I do blame the game not the players. Property tax/LVT with some lower rate for a single main residence is the way to go.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Frank Hovis said:

I think you'll find that's little to do with the council but is another curse of our "needs based" benefits system.

Though they can bring in a strong "local allocations policy" to mean that they do get offered to locals first.

Wouldn't be surprised if the councils get a nice big lump sum per scumbag they house from central government same as they get for gimmigrants.

Edited by gibbon

10 hours ago, 201p said:

Went for a walk at last light on Saturday. 3 piles of car window glass on the pavements, one bus shelter side put out also. Saw half a dozen or so groups of five or six teenage lads roaming about. Something you would never expect to see in the area I was walking around.

Last night there were intermitent police cars driving around.

6 hours ago, gibbon said:

I’ve got one, not in this country. 

You can call me a wanker. I could tell you the circumstances but you have already made your mind up. 

5 minutes ago, The Generation Game said:

Does a 1-bed in Peckham count as a first home?

Well maybe not, but the purposes of counting my wicked property empire it does.

Although in terms of size the second one is smaller, all be it with more land.

i suspect if you added the total size of both of them they would be smaller than most people have in one. That of course isn’t justification for my evil ways.  

2 hours ago, gilf said:

Well maybe not, but the purposes of counting my wicked property empire it does.

Although in terms of size the second one is smaller, all be it with more land.

i suspect if you added the total size of both of them they would be smaller than most people have in one. That of course isn’t justification for my evil ways.  

Is that you Rachman? :P

On 24/03/2020 at 08:43, Wight Flight said:

I heard that ant thought WTF.

Add that to the numbers owned by overseas investors and you don't need to build any new housing for years.

No wonder the government are so reluctant to tax them properly.

I tried to find some figures to back that up and it doesn't mean just holiday homes, I think it means BTL.

Study from 2017:

One in 10 UK adults, or 5.2 million people, own a second home, while four in 10 adults own no property at all, according to new research that highlights the stark divide in wealth that Britain now faces.

The number of people who do not own property has also risen over the past 12 years, according to the Resolution Foundation.

Housing campaigners have said the figures “lay bare the stark inequalities” of the UK’s housing crisis and should come as a “wake-up call”.

The proportion of adults owning multiple properties has jumped by 30% since 2000, according to the thinktank.

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2017/aug/19/second-home-ownership-up-30-since-2000-research-finds

On 21/03/2020 at 19:16, spygirl said:

I know.

I've been called a twat, for pointing out that tourism pays shit and is parttime.

No.

You've been called a twat because that's exactly what you are...

XYY

Anglesey council stuck two fingers up at tourists:

Tourists have been urged to stay away from Anglesey with "immediate effect" as efforts to battle the spread of coronavirus continue.

Anglesey council leader Llinos Medi said it is a message she "never thought she would have to give", but it was needed to protect residents and reduce pressure on medics.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/travel/news/coronavirus-tourists-and-visitors-urged-to-stay-away-from-anglesey-amid-pandemic/ar-BB11vLBq