• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
maynardgravy

Manspreading spreads to your local swimming pool as man-hate sinks to new depths

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/may/07/swimming-sexist-behaviour-british-pools-male-swimmers-men

It's Grauniad, so the pathetic gist is below

The more I swim, the more I notice that a not-insignificant number of men seem to take against my swimming abilities, and respond with an array of irritating behaviours. They push in front of me, they take up the whole lane, or – my personal favourite – they expend all of their energy on overtaking me, just to prove that they can, and then spend the rest of the lap swimming desperately slowly in front of me......

...But men themselves also need to think more carefully about how they behave in public spaces. I go to the pool to get a workout, and I understand the frustration of being prevented from doing that because the lane is too slow and crowded. But we all have a responsibility not to behave antisocially. If you’re a man who internally seethes at female swimmers, engage with your feelings and ask why they are there. If you see other men behaving badly, think: could you intervene without exacerbating the situation? Swimming pools don’t have to be stressful places for women. We could make them nice and relaxing for everybody, if we wanted to.

on overtaking me, just to prove that they can

I think if you get triggered by this sort of thing -  then you see it everywhere.

If you are cycling.

If you are driving.

If you are walking.

Etc. Competitiveness is everywhere. I guess it's the primal instinct for survival and getting a mate.

---

I would just tone the your eye sensitivity.

4 minutes ago, maynardgravy said:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/may/07/swimming-sexist-behaviour-british-pools-male-swimmers-men

It's Grauniad, so the pathetic gist is below

The more I swim, the more I notice that a not-insignificant number of men seem to take against my swimming abilities, and respond with an array of irritating behaviours. They push in front of me, they take up the whole lane, or – my personal favourite – they expend all of their energy on overtaking me, just to prove that they can, and then spend the rest of the lap swimming desperately slowly in front of me......

...But men themselves also need to think more carefully about how they behave in public spaces. I go to the pool to get a workout, and I understand the frustration of being prevented from doing that because the lane is too slow and crowded. But we all have a responsibility not to behave antisocially. If you’re a man who internally seethes at female swimmers, engage with your feelings and ask why they are there. If you see other men behaving badly, think: could you intervene without exacerbating the situation? Swimming pools don’t have to be stressful places for women. We could make them nice and relaxing for everybody, if we wanted to.

Only by building about twice as many pools of twice the normal British size. Too many people, not enough pool space, that's the real issue, this stupid bint wants to make it into gender issue clickbait. (so I didn't click, thanks for the summary).

1 minute ago, swiss_democracy_for_all said:

Only by building about twice as many pools of twice the normal British size. Too many people, not enough pool space, that's the real issue, this stupid bint wants to make it into gender issue clickbait. (so I didn't click, thanks for the summary).

I used to go Sunday morning when they opened. Would be quiet. Could have a nice swim then. 
Hate going to pools full of people who stink of perfume. 

1 minute ago, sarahbell said:

I used to go Sunday morning when they opened. Would be quiet. Could have a nice swim then. 
Hate going to pools full of people who stink of perfume. 

This is more like what you'd be going to if you lived in a country where the politicians are forced to act in at least some of the interests of the people. (the nearest pool in the picture is Olympic size) Opening on 15th May, through to about 15 September.

Image result for piscine vergers

1 minute ago, swiss_democracy_for_all said:

This is more like what you'd be going to if you lived in a country where the politicians are forced to act in at least some of the interests of the people. (the nearest pool in the picture is Olympic size) Opening on 15th May, through to about 15 September.

You do know I live in Oldham and there's ice on the ground for 11 months of the year. Outdoor swimming! We did that at secondary school. brr.

I look forward to a similar article criticising women drivers for not being able to park, stopping suddenly for no reason, yakking on their mobiles and using the rear view mirror to touch up their lippy.

Oh wait, that's never going to happen, is it.

Just now, sarahbell said:

You do know I live in Oldham and there's ice on the ground for 11 months of the year. Outdoor swimming! We did that at secondary school. brr.

Alright then.... Foreground is Olympic pool, other side 25m, on the other side of the glass wall is a park with two outdoor pools (one is a deep diving pool) and a kids play area.

Related image

15 minutes ago, swiss_democracy_for_all said:

Blaming it on men is one of the techniques that allows TPTB to get away with extremely high overcrowding, awful congestion, overpopulation and general lack of facilities etc.  Otherwise it's blatantly clear that the problems are caused by the UK's PTB.

It's not a coincidence.

This is a ridiculous dangerous game.

You can't say 'a man has done something' and then generalise to 'men do something'.

This is clearly obvious in all sorts of ways, and the press don't hesitate to remind us of the above whenever there's an 'ist' story.  Just because a black man has mugged someone it doesn't mean that black men mug people.  Or because an Islamist terrorist has attacked someone doesn't mean that all Muslims want to attack people, etc, etc.  But when it comes to anti male (or, better, anti while male middle class middle aged folk) it is okay; you are allowed to say 'a man has done this, therefore men do this'.  It is appalling.

28 minutes ago, 201p said:

on overtaking me, just to prove that they can

I think if you get triggered by this sort of thing -  then you see it everywhere.

If you are cycling.

If you are driving.

If you are walking.

Etc. Competitiveness is everywhere. I guess it's the primal instinct for survival and getting a mate.

---

I would just tone the your eye sensitivity.

I see it when driving; people who will overtake recklessly on A roads just in order to be one further forward at the roundabout. 

On dual carriageways and motorways it's more people who don't like being overtaken and speed up when you try to overtake them purely because they were going more slowly than you.  I usually drop back in and stay there if they maintain that speed but if they slow again then the two litre engine is unleashed and I go a long way past them.

I rarely cycle but don't tend to see this sort of thing when walking; I walk quicker than most and will usually go past people but if somebody is walking at or only marginally slower than my pace then I am perfectly happy to stay some distance behind them even if it means slowing slightly.  People walking faster than me are usually in a particular hurry.

16 minutes ago, swiss_democracy_for_all said:

Alright then.... Foreground is Olympic pool, other side 25m, on the other side of the glass wall is a park with two outdoor pools (one is a deep diving pool) and a kids play area.

Related image

Doesn't look too safe - bloke in the bottom right corner appears to have broken his arm in three places.

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Snark said:

Seems to me they're alluding to segregation being the solution............ Our conversion to Islam is almost complete.

perhaps it's time for white men to start to opennly propose the adoption of islamic rules at public facilities. Call their bluff.

Edited by snaga

You get plenty of twats in swimming lanes.

Some have cocks.

Some have cunts. 

Anyone who doesn't realise this is a cunt. This person is a cunt. 

Not much else to add. 

1 hour ago, JoeDavola said:

Written by a woman who externally seethes at male swimmers.

Exactly.

So if this happens to you and you are a man, it is not noteworthy. If you happen to be a woman, then this is clearly yet another example of someone seething at you for being a woman O.o

Pathetic.

I wonder how much of this is confirmation bias? Women gets in the way, smile and carry on.... Man get's in the way, it was clearly deliberate....
More the result of a society that socially segregates women from men and teaches women in particular that men are almost a different species, they can be dated and married, but cannot be friends.

1 hour ago, swiss_democracy_for_all said:

Yes, got one of those 10 minutes walk from me.  There are another 5 outdoor and 4 indoor pools within  a 10k radius of where I live

God just shut up you fucking whiny bitch (the original article)

The dissenter comment on the Gruniad article sums it up

Another middle class intersectional luvvie having a whinge at the world, complete with totally made up anecdotes in the cesspit section.

Shocked.

It's about time that men withdrew from being treated like shit by the rest of society. If it wasn't for the labour of untold numbers of men, most women would starve or freeze to death within weeks. Are they grateful? Are they fuck!

37 minutes ago, sukuinage said:

Yes, got one of those 10 minutes walk from me.  There are another 5 outdoor and 4 indoor pools within  a 10k radius of where I live

I forget where you live but it's obviously not in the UK. Switzerland's swimming infrastructure is unreal. It's actually slightly weird given the cantonal population of Geneva is about 500,000. 

This is the list of indoor pool sites in the central part of canton Geneva, all either 25m, 33m or 50m, some have multiple pools at one site. Most of the outlying villages like Chancy, Vernier, Perly and Satigny, not listed here, also have their own pools. In summer add 4 or 5 big outdoor pool parks like the one I posted and about 5-10 other outdoor pools scattered around, and the Geneve Plage and Bains de Pacquis (lake swimming) in the centre. 

Piscine d'Onex-Parc
Piscine de Chandieu
Piscine de Contamines
Piscine de Meyrin - bassin
extérieur

Piscine de Meyrin - bassin
intérieur

Piscine de Pâquis-Centre
Piscine de Thônex
Piscine de Varembé
Piscine de Versoix
Piscine des Avanchets