DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Windows 10

Bus Stop Boxer

Question

Bus Stop Boxer

With Windows 7 about to be mothballed in Jan, i'm, reluctantly, looking at a new OS.

I have a well specced PC, that i built myself, for music, that is sat unused most of the time. I'm guessing i can just get a new SSD, whack it in, and load 10 on that drive and leave the Win 7 environment alone.

So that being the case, and bearing in mind that i had Win 10 on a tablet and absolutely hated it, what are good tips to keep Microsoft snooping to a minimum?

Or i could buy a Mac Mini for £300?

5 answers to this question

Every time there is a major software change especially Windows you see the same complaints I want to keep the previous version. Saw it when 2000 users had to move to XP, when XP users had to move to 7,even remember some gui change that Facebook did and everyone started a petition. 

Not being judgemental but it's ususually a pointless fight. Windows 10 definitely because it's got too far ahead of 7 to be practical clinging on. 

Agree it's not what I would have designed but users don't get a vote. 

Anyway this is brilliant IMO 

https://www.oo-software.com/en/shutup10

Bus Stop Boxer

Just revisitng this. Been looking at Linux Mint this am.

It looks erm mint.

Im going to install on an old Dell i5 laptop, and see how we roll.

2 hours ago, Bus Stop Boxer said:

With Windows 7 about to be mothballed in Jan, i'm, reluctantly, looking at a new OS.

I have a well specced PC, that i built myself, for music, that is sat unused most of the time. I'm guessing i can just get a new SSD, whack it in, and load 10 on that drive and leave the Win 7 environment alone.

So that being the case, and bearing in mind that i had Win 10 on a tablet and absolutely hated it, what are good tips to keep Microsoft snooping to a minimum?

Or i could buy a Mac Mini for £300?

https://www.privacytools.io/operating-systems/

Discusses operating systems.

Discusses W10, including their privacy tool download.

Plenty of links.

Chewing Grass

I'd stick Linux on it, unless you need specific software it may be worth expanding your mind and boundaries and taking the plunge.

Archived