• Welcome to DOSBODS

    Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Formerly

Alternative to eBay for low market items

Recommended Posts

Having experienced (and being out of pocket because of) buyer abuse of the returns system on ebay I'm wondering what alternatives dosbodders have had success with. I've used Gumtree and Facebook for items with a decent pool of buyers, but I'm looking to get rid of a lot of low value old tech (PC and AV items) and had little success on these platforms previously. I can't afford to risk eBay's return policy whereby I may get landed with postage costs both ways for a buyer to try out the item, even on no return auctions. I'd prefer a platform where when it's sold the matter is finished unless misdescribed.

Anyone had any success with ebid or shpock for stuff for goods like this?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, MrPin said:

I've not had much problem with EBay. Sometimes people want a refund, as they are not happy. Fine.

That never works for me, because the sellers then point out that I am Happy.

Which makes me unhappy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Formerly said:

Having experienced (and being out of pocket because of) buyer abuse of the returns system on ebay I'm wondering what alternatives dosbodders have had success with. I've used Gumtree and Facebook for items with a decent pool of buyers, but I'm looking to get rid of a lot of low value old tech (PC and AV items) and had little success on these platforms previously. I can't afford to risk eBay's return policy whereby I may get landed with postage costs both ways for a buyer to try out the item, even on no return auctions. I'd prefer a platform where when it's sold the matter is finished unless misdescribed.

Anyone had any success with ebid or shpock for stuff for goods like this?

My GF spent a few years "hustling" (mostly buying poorly listed or otherwise under valued items) womens clothes on ebay and reselling them, has sold many thousands of items. Yes ebay is so gameable by buyers its ridiculous and no there arn't any viable alternatives. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Formerly said:

Having experienced (and being out of pocket because of) buyer abuse of the returns system on ebay I'm wondering what alternatives dosbodders have had success with. I've used Gumtree and Facebook for items with a decent pool of buyers, but I'm looking to get rid of a lot of low value old tech (PC and AV items) and had little success on these platforms previously. I can't afford to risk eBay's return policy whereby I may get landed with postage costs both ways for a buyer to try out the item, even on no return auctions. I'd prefer a platform where when it's sold the matter is finished unless misdescribed.

Anyone had any success with ebid or shpock for stuff for goods like this?

Ebid is shockingly poor- if I sell something on there it's a rare surprise. Cheap to sell on there, but it gets hardly any traffic. I've had some success on Shpock, which is free to sell on if you don't add listing enhancements. Lots of timewasters though! Local selling groups on Facebook look quite busy, depending on what you're selling.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, onlyme said:

Car boot, but the prices will be low, though some stuff fetches decent prices.

Id go with that

Worth having a car based inverter to show electrical items working. 

Coincidentally I'm doing one tomorrow tosell off the endless piles of junk my dad left behind. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Kurt Barlow said:

Id go with that

Worth having a car based inverter to show electrical items working. 

Coincidentally I'm doing one tomorrow tosell off the endless piles of junk my dad left behind. 

I feel your pain.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

My brother came round on the cadge for stuff to take to the car boot once. Bearing in mind he filled his people carrier full of trade samples with a retail value of probably well over a £1k he never came back for another lot. My guess is you’ve got the work of loading and unloading the car plus a Sunday written off to end up with probably less than you’d get paid normally for a day at work.

I essentially made money at one once but only by repoing a load of my own plastic crates from a stall holder.

w

Edit to add: Missed off the point I was making which was the stuff would have generated way more on eBay, I reckon, for all its potential downsides.

Edited by SNACR

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks all. Pretty much as I thought. There seems to be no viable alternative. I've tried car boots, but the best seller was my partners cakes! Brought back a load of stuff.

 

Mr Pin, I also had no significant problems with ebay up until now (only problems were receiving crap goods). However, I've now experienced a problem as a seller and don't want to risk repeating it. I sold ~£250 worth in April, clearing less than £150 after fees and postage. However, I got a return this week (sold on 1st April) and postage both ways was more than the item achieved. This was a no return auction. Item was tested before listing and on return and was exactly as described. Buyer admits his equipment was at fault in eBay messages after I told him about it still working, but not only do I have to refund him, I have to pay postage both ways. It wouldn't take more than a few returns to wipe out all my gains.

It looks like freecycle and charity shops are the best options for now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, SNACR said:

I essentially made money at one once but only by repoing a load of my own plastic crates from a stall holder.

xD quality. I bet he was cursing his luck that day.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Austin Allegro said:

Isn't there a 'no returns' policy you can click when selling on Ebay? I'm pretty sure I've done that in the past.

 

Yes. It was selected. Buyer claimed item was both faulty and damaged in order to initiate return. It was neither faulty nor damaged when I got it back. EBay don't care. I got item back so have to pay.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, eight said:

xD quality. I bet he was cursing his luck that day.

For my own workshop I favour Homebase ones for car parts and assorted crap. They  (in their Sainsbury owned days who were very into the reusable crate model) used to ship them out externally for suppliers to fill. They then delisted the supplier so there were literally thousands of their crates filled with stock so unsurprisingly he supplier wasn’t going to unpack all their crates. Very dubious in my opinion if the environmental benefit over cardboard boxes, which has always been one of the most strongly recycled materials, is that great they cost well over ten times the equivalent cardboard box price, and are bulky and heavier so the economic argument is weak too.

I don’t think your esteemed employer has had their roll cages back yet either.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Formerly said:

Thanks all. Pretty much as I thought. There seems to be no viable alternative. I've tried car boots, but the best seller was my partners cakes! Brought back a load of stuff.

 

Mr Pin, I also had no significant problems with ebay up until now (only problems were receiving crap goods). However, I've now experienced a problem as a seller and don't want to risk repeating it. I sold ~£250 worth in April, clearing less than £150 after fees and postage. However, I got a return this week (sold on 1st April) and postage both ways was more than the item achieved. This was a no return auction. Item was tested before listing and on return and was exactly as described. Buyer admits his equipment was at fault in eBay messages after I told him about it still working, but not only do I have to refund him, I have to pay postage both ways. It wouldn't take more than a few returns to wipe out all my gains.

It looks like freecycle and charity shops are the best options for now.

Might be worth getting on to eBay (could have to be repeatedly)  if you’ve got that from the buyer in an actual eBay message.

They used to have a very strong ethos that all their customers were upstanding citizens and didn’t deviate much from that official line. In more recent times when we’ve had them on to us because we haven’t listed much recently and said there’s easier ways to dispose of the stock we got a whole presentation on how they’re really aware of how there was a problem with pisstaker buyers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, SNACR said:

I don’t think your esteemed employer has had their roll cages back yet either.

 

Oh, I'm well out of that now. Coincidentally Homebase home delivery used to be run out of that site, but before my time.

When I worked at Flymo they used to keep the 1000 ton moulding machine busy by making plastic boxes for internal use out of regrind material. They were an ordinary but bespoke design, which caught a few people out when they turned up in their cars or sheds. I always thought they would have been a good seller; this was long before the days of B&M etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, eight said:

Oh, I'm well out of that now. Coincidentally Homebase home delivery used to be run out of that site, but before my time.

When I worked at Flymo they used to keep the 1000 ton moulding machine busy by making plastic boxes for internal use out of regrind material. They were an ordinary but bespoke design, which caught a few people out when they turned up in their cars or sheds. I always thought they would have been a good seller; this was long before the days of B&M etc.

I almost put erstwhile.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 11/05/2019 at 15:27, Kurt Barlow said:

Id go with that

Worth having a car based inverter to show electrical items working. 

Coincidentally I'm doing one tomorrow tosell off the endless piles of junk my dad left behind. 

Made 100 quid minus the 8 quid entry fee. 

Learnt that Mid May is not a good time to try and sell boxes of Xmas decorations! 

Edited by Kurt Barlow

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Kurt Barlow said:

Made 100 quid minus the 8 quid entry fee. 

Lean that Mid May is not a good time to try and sell boxes of Xmas decorations! 

My daughter won a "Letter to Santa" kit at the school duck race today.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 11/05/2019 at 17:10, Austin Allegro said:

Isn't there a 'no returns' policy you can click when selling on Ebay? I'm pretty sure I've done that in the past.

 

All that means is that you arn't offering a no-fault free return service, they can still invent some trivial defect (or deliberately spoil the item) and force you to take it back.

I do miss the good old days when ebay was essentially a sold-as-seen no hassle market place, but now as a private seller you  pretty much have to provide commercial retail outlet levels of service.

Edited by goldbug9999

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I did a boot fair recently. I didn’t see many people buying (we sold a few items) and loads of people selling just seemed to be a bit down spirited tbh to the pointlessness of it all. I was scratching my head how do people make this work - items on sale did not look too dissimilar from items discarded at the tip. Maybe there are variety in boot fairs across Uk

Edited by Ash4781b

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To get ebay prices, you need to put up with ebay hassles.

A % of buyers will take the piss and that needs to be factored into the price along with ebay and paypal fees.

Say you want to end up with £20 from an item. With shipping, that's say £24. Add 15% for fees, that's £27.60. Add another 15% for bad buyers and it's £31.74.  

List as a buy it now for £32 with full disclosure, plus pics, of any faults or blemishes. Make sure that the bin listing states: Returns accepted, buyer to pay return postage. (Buyer can quote £huge for return otherwise.)

Your listings will be slow sellers, because they're somewhat overpriced but with ebay, getting your stuff listed is dirt cheap compared to the size of the market. Even cheaper to list if you have a shop.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.