DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Deutschland 83 / 86

spunko

Anyone else been enjoying this German TV series? The "86" series was on More4 recently, so you may have missed it, but it's still on catchup.

If you're interested in political dramas about the Stasi, East Germany, or even just have an interest in the 1980s I'd recommend them.

Only 8 episodes per series as well so no need to give up your entire life for a month.

I hear about the '86' series and it really did look quite intriguing, more thought out than the majority of shite knocking about these days.  Think I'll try and catch up with it

Loved the first series. Strongly recommended.

So far (E3? watching recordings) the second series seems like a series of disjointed and unconnected scenes. Maybe I'm just not concentrating hard enough.

12 hours ago, DTMark said:

Loved the first series. Strongly recommended.

So far (E3? watching recordings) the second series seems like a series of disjointed and unconnected scenes. Maybe I'm just not concentrating hard enough.

The first couple of episodes were hard to follow. I'd forgotten most of the plot from the first series so I'd recommend reading up if that's the case for you too.

It gets a lot better, the last 3 or 4 episodes are riveting. 

Loved the first one, they didn’t seem to advertise the second so didn’t event know it had started until the other day when I flicked over when it was on. 

• 2 weeks later...

Thinking about it, if I were to watch it again with hindsight I'd probably spend 5-10 mins researching East Germany and South Africa. It'd have made a lot more sense.

Uptherebels

Absolutely loved the 83 one. Saw it when first shown, and have re watched it twice since. 

Absolutely hated the 86 one. Didn't stick with it to the end. I think I watched the first 4 episodes. 

Major disappointment, for something that I'd looked forward to so much. 

6 hours ago, Uptherebels said:

Absolutely loved the 83 one. Saw it when first shown, and have re watched it twice since. 

Absolutely hated the 86 one. Didn't stick with it to the end. I think I watched the first 4 episodes. 

Major disappointment, for something that I'd looked forward to so much.  

I would say, revisit it.

they go back to Germany in about episode 5 and it gets a lot better/easier to follow.

• 3 weeks later...

Some time in the second half of the 80s I was in Dresden for Siemens who I worked for looking at acquiring Robotron. At a loose end for the weekend I was lodging with some East German guy who suggested I went and have a look at the "secret headquarters of the Stasi". So I went up in my rented Mercedes with Munich plates and started to take photographs, there was a big black cloud coming out of the chimney as they burned documents. Then a guy came out and asked what the fuck I was doing "I'm a tourist, I'm taking pictures of the secret Stasi headquarters". "Not any more you are not, now fuck off". he told me  The bloke who came out looked a lot like Vladimir Putin, which would be odd as he was in the Russian FSB.

Archived