• Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

spygirl

Road closures for hobbies n shit

This is going red hot on my FB

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-birmingham-48247437?fbclid=IwAR35AtQKJci5witzTkV3tSWW9H7uikmXHJWTJ3tfbm07oEnBKBEREkISZTc

Not that Im any where near Brum, just lots of horsey wimmin.

Ive also been readign a few different papers of various people complaining about road closures for armed forces weekend - which I also hink is daft.

Then Ive read complains about road closures for marathons, runs etc etc etc.

I agree with the people complaining.

Some areas seem to have road closures for various fuckwittery several timmes a year.

7 minutes ago, spygirl said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-birmingham-48247437?fbclid=IwAR35AtQKJci5witzTkV3tSWW9H7uikmXHJWTJ3tfbm07oEnBKBEREkISZTc

Ive also been readign a few different papers of various people complaining about road closures for armed forces weekend - which I also hink is daft.

Some areas seem to have road closures for various fuckwittery several timmes a year.

People are kicking off about the tour de Yorkshire. Apparently the cost is near to 200k, paid for out of local taxes. Then, as with this, the disruption to people’s lives as they try to go about their business 

1 minute ago, One percent said:

People are kicking off about the tour de Yorkshire. Apparently the cost is near to 200k, paid for out of local taxes. Then, as with this, the disruption to people’s lives as they try to go about their business 

I agree.

We are (were) payign a bent vainglorious cunt with sticky fingers run a bike race.

It was fun first time.

Boring now esp. as theres no sign of much i nthe way increased revenue.

Im waiting ofr Sir Cunt to get arrested and jailed. Bent bastard.

1 minute ago, spygirl said:

I agree.

We are (were) payign a bent vainglorious cunt with sticky fingers run a bike race.

It was fun first time.

It’s not as if the area is desperate to increase tourism. Bend cunt should have focused on getting the right tourists, those who spend money, rather than the mouth breathers from the conurbations 

18 minutes ago, spygirl said:

I agree.

It was fun first time.

Can't decide. There have always been these sorts of things like marathons etc. and I do like Motorfest, in Coventry, where they've managed to have the ring road closed to use as a racetrack for the day. In fact, I'd much rather go to that than Festival of Speed - although I do know the people who are the driving force behind it and they are much more the right sort of people just enthusiastic normal blokes not after making money or self-promotion.

On the other hand though I do think the fun-runs, bike rides and half-marathons have possibly got a bit out of hand and when I lived in Bath it did used to fuck me off being trapped in the house, on a Sunday, until mid-afternoon, because I forgot the half-marathon was on. 

There is a definite class thing, I think, often with how the roads are used for recreation. If some chavs on a council estate wanted to pull people around behind quadbikes on rollerskates it would soon be cracked down on but middle class people want to ride horses, a no more legitimate means of transport in this day and age it's purely recreation too, and everyone else is supposed to gingerly creep around them and if the horse spooks it considered to be your fault regardless. 

9 minutes ago, SNACR said:

Can't decide. There have always been these sorts of things like marathons etc. and I do like Motorfest, in Coventry, where they've managed to have the ring road closed to use as a racetrack for the day. In fact, I'd much rather go to that than Festival of Speed - although I do know the people who are the driving force behind it and they are much more the right sort of people just enthusiastic normal blokes not after making money or self-promotion.

On the other hand though I do think the fun-runs, bike rides and half-marathons have possibly got a bit out of hand and when I lived in Bath it did used to fuck me off being trapped in the house, on a Sunday, until mid-afternoon, because I forgot the half-marathon was on. 

There is a definite class thing, I think, often with how the roads are used for recreation. If some chavs on a council estate wanted to pull people around behind quadbikes on rollerskates it would soon be cracked down on but middle class people want to ride horses, a no more legitimate means of transport in this day and age it's purely recreation too, and everyone else is supposed to gingerly creep around them and if the horse spooks it considered to be your fault regardless. 

Was talking about the TdY and its idiot Sir Gary Verity.

But the road closures do seem to be increasing.

Why do that sort of stuff -running, cycling - in a fuckign city?

Why not drive out i nthe middle of nowhere and run round a hill for a bit FFS? I would be better on your feet too.

1 minute ago, spygirl said:

Why not drive out i nthe middle of nowhere and run round a hill for a bit FFS? I would be better on your feet too.

Think it's wanting the pics to put on instagram that's really fuelled it.

I do agree it's down to the right location. I did used to actually do quite a bit of horse-riding, despite my previous complaints, but I rode across the Quantocks and Exmoor not round busy lanes of touristy Cotswold villages in the height of summer causing mayhem.

13 minutes ago, spygirl said:

Not quite the same opportunity for “look at me, look at me, LOOK AT FUCKING ME” 

Road closures for these sorts of events do seem to be increasing at quite a rate. Since 2012 when significant stretches o fWoking’s roads were shut for the Olympic cycling, the council have introduced annual road closures for 2 separate cycling races and a half marathon. I don’t recall any prior to 2012.

Just now, Hail the Tripod said:

Road closures for these sorts of events do seem to be increasing at quite a rate. Since 2012 when significant stretches o fWoking’s roads were shut for the Olympic cycling, the council have introduced annual road closures for 2 separate cycling races and a half marathon. I don’t recall any prior to 2012.

And to put the icing on the cake the local residents will be paying for it through their local taxes. Bloody vanity projects. 

1 hour ago, spygirl said:

I really hope they get stung for serious compo for refusing the vet access

Posted (edited)

You could move that cycle race probably only 50 miles west into Shops/Hereford/Wales and probably inconvenience about a million less people, if not a lot more. 

Edited by SNACR

12 minutes ago, Hopeful said:

I really hope they get stung for serious compo for refusing the vet access

I don't know if it's the type of person who gravitates to doing steward type volunteering/work but pretty much without exception as soon as they've got the walkie talkie and hi-viz on they instantly go mad with power.

30 minutes ago, SNACR said:

Think it's wanting the pics to put on instagram that's really fuelled it.

I do agree it's down to the right location. I did used to actually do quite a bit of horse-riding, despite my previous complaints, but I rode across the Quantocks and Exmoor not round busy lanes of touristy Cotswold villages in the height of summer causing mayhem.

Please to see it's not just me that finds that absolutely piss-boiling. I used to get stuck behind them regularly in rush hour, four horses going down a main road all surrounded by country lanes and fields. The tailbacks used to be enormous. I'm convinced they used to do it deliberately.  

And my word, overtake one of them at half a mph over the recommended limit and you'll be subject to some of the finest upper class abuse money can buy.

Arseholes.

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Sgt Hartman said:

Please to see it's not just me that finds that absolutely piss-boiling. I used to get stuck behind them regularly in rush hour, four horses going down a main road all surrounded by country lanes and fields. The tailbacks used to be enormous. I'm convinced they used to do it deliberately.  

And my word, overtake one of them at half a mph over the recommended limit and you'll be subject to some of the finest upper class abuse money can buy.

Arseholes.

Frequently on mobile phones too whilst riding, I shit you not.

I've taken my fair share of slow moving vehicles on the public roads but farmers moving combines and making long tractor journeys during rush hour time takes the piss as well a bit I think.

Edited by SNACR

15 minutes ago, SNACR said:

Frequently on mobile phones too whilst riding, I shit you not.

I've taken my fair share of slow moving vehicles on the public roads but farmers moving combines and making long tractor journeys during rush hour time takes the piss as well a bit I think.

Isn't that what YOU do with forklifts?

12 minutes ago, MrPin said:

Isn't that what YOU do with forklifts?

I have got a non-teleporter road legal, up to a point, one but this has put me off it a bit. Although it looks like the driver was actually ok, although not the guy in the pickup - hell of a ride

As the roads get more congested due to overpopulation/overinbreeding, you'd think UKGOV would do something. Ban lorries from overtaking other lorries at 1mph difference during the hours of 7am and 7pm would also be a positive move.

21 minutes ago, spunko said:

As the roads get more congested due to overpopulation/overinbreeding, you'd think UKGOV would do something. Ban lorries from overtaking other lorries at 1mph difference during the hours of 7am and 7pm would also be a positive move.

Ah yes, the two lane truck race. Most countries do not behave like this. Maybe it's the density of traffic?

1 minute ago, MrPin said:

Ah yes, the two lane truck race. Most countries do not behave like this. Maybe it's the density of traffic?

Hate it, it can add significant time to a journey stuck behind this behaviour

32 minutes ago, spunko said:

To be fair, for as annoying as it can be, the middle lane is usually blocked up anyway, by fools who just love the middle lane too much.

The roads are a 'shared space' -- there has to be an acceptance that some people will want to use them in a different way.

I suppose on that note that you'd have to 'accept' a formal road closure on a weekend that people have 'agreed to' (or, that their elected representatives haven't disagreed to) over random people doing inconvenient things just because they can.

I do have a particular problem with people using the highways for commercial gain and expecting me to put up with an inconvenience just because they've got a marginal profit by doing things that way.  These people can choose to do things to save a few quid, and while the general public might individually only have a small amount of hassle, collectively the 'cash equivalent to the hassle' (=how much you'd pay to make it go away') far exceeds the cash saved/generated by the inconvenient behaviour.  So, for example:

• People moving boats (say) along the A34 (say) during peak traffic. Sure, I get that there are factors that the haulier has to consider, like labour at both ends, utilisation of the trailer, light-constraints -- but they don't at all have to pay for many thousands of people taking 5 minutes more for their journey.  Individually it doesn't seem that great a hassle, but given the sheer numbers it is clear that the haulier is taking advantage of the 'free for all' rules.  I'd say any extraordinary* load should be barred from 7am-7pm, unless they pay an 'inconvenience tax' which would essentially force the haulier to consider that other people exist.

[* defined by overwidth or not capable of meeting the statutory speed limit for 99% of the journey]

• Horse riding schools very slowly moving kids around.  I don't mind horses so much -- they're entitled to use the roads and it is so unpleasant that they'll only actually be on the roads while getting to the bridleway (which is where they want to be).  But I don't see why a commercial stables should be able to easily make money while I'm being inconvenienced.
  • Cycling -- cycling as a method of transportation is perfectly fine.  No matter how much inconvenience to cars, they've got a right to be there.  I do wish that utility cyclists would wise up to electric bikes, as it allows for a far better experience for all concerned (there's a strange pseudo moral thing going on with electric bikes, as though going through the effort of actually cycling is important.  There's no such consideration with cars, though.  It is a bit weird).  People using cycling for exercise is okay as well (although I'm a bit closer to the fence).  However, the attitude to speed cyclists is odd -- I've no idea why it is deemed acceptable for people to be racing on the road in that way.  
  • Agricultural -- they're just doing what needs to be done.  If they're moving a combine at rush hour it'll be because they need to harvest some grains, and pretty soonish as well (otherwise they'd do it later).  This is complicated somewhat by agricultural contractors, who really will inconvenience people -- but it tends to only be a shortish distance (unlike hauliers, above), so I'll perhaps give them a bit of a break.

Anyway, on balance the problem is mainly far too many people driving around far too much going to places that they don't need to go to that much, or that they should live closer to in the first place.  If you sorted that bit out then all the other problems wouldn't be quite so noticeable.