• Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Frank Hovis

Social media - fatally flawed?

First off; I don't regard this forum as social media.  This is the letters page; the comments section of a newspaper. It is about ideas and thoughts.

Nobody here is crafting a public persona through their posts that, they believe, will give them benefits in real life.

In social media your profile lives.  It is you in a sense but an enhanced version of you designed to impress.  And you can't live up to it.

In reality there are many version of ourselves - us at work, with mates, with family, trying to pull, on our own - but they only exist as long as we are in this state and, at root, they are transient.  There is no single version of you frozen within an eternal present.

Social media however is used to create this superior body double.  Always well dressed, alert, and with a glamorous backdrop to show just what a great life you're having. This has a life beyond your own, even beyond your own death.  The super successful super attractive super you with the super lifestyle that you pretend to have.

Whilst it wasn't about Facebook / Instagram / whatever this short story by Clive Barker sums it up nicely; particularly the last line.  Your Facebook profile is more popular and has more friends than you do.  And you have forgotten that you are not your Facebook profile.

Human Remains

A young gay prostitute is hired by an archaeologist. During the course of the night he stumbles into the bathroom to discover a Roman-esque statue of a man lying in the bath. Over the next few weeks, he has the sense of being haunted by a doppelgänger. At the same time, his mind and body transforms; he becomes cold and lifeless, no longer needing to eat or sleep. He finally discovers his doppelganger, the statue from the bath, at his father's grave, crying in sorrow, as he is unmoved. It becomes clear that the doppelganger has become more convincing as a human than he is, and he wanders away, allowing it to continue living in his persona.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Books_of_Blood#The_Yattering_and_Jack

Yes. I post on Facebook about twice a month, with a few pictures, just to let my mates back home know what I have been up to ( I'm an expat in TX at the moment) I am very aware that this could be seen as bragging. See link for further details. I am conflicted. I don't really want to use FB, but it is useful...

https://waitbutwhy.com/2013/07/7-ways-to-be-insufferable-on-facebook.html

As an aside, that's a pretty good site with some interesting articles. I do suspect the author is SJW, so you have been warned...

I've never written a diary so Facebook posts are my main way of remembering what I've done in years gone by. Starting to feel quite precarious and wouldn't mind being able to download it all in one batch but don't think it is possible.. 

28 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

First off; I don't regard this forum as social media.  This is the letters page; the comments section of a newspaper. It is about ideas and thoughts.

Nobody here is crafting a public persona through their posts that, they believe, will give them benefits in real life.

In social media your profile lives.  It is you in a sense but an enhanced version of you designed to impress.  And you can't live up to it.

In reality there are many version of ourselves - us at work, with mates, with family, trying to pull, on our own - but they only exist as long as we are in this state and, at root, they are transient.  There is no single version of you frozen within an eternal present.

Social media however is used to create this superior body double.  Always well dressed, alert, and with a glamorous backdrop to show just what a great life you're having. This has a life beyond your own, even beyond your own death.  The super successful super attractive super you with the super lifestyle that you pretend to have.

Whilst it wasn't about Facebook / Instagram / whatever this short story by Clive Barker sums it up nicely; particularly the last line.  Your Facebook profile is more popular and has more friends than you do.  And you have forgotten that you are not your Facebook profile.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Books_of_Blood#The_Yattering_and_Jack

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/You_Have_0_Friends

2 hours ago, Stuey said:

I've never written a diary so Facebook posts are my main way of remembering what I've done in years gone by. Starting to feel quite precarious and wouldn't mind being able to download it all in one batch but don't think it is possible.. 

Ask a mate at GCHQ?

12 hours ago, Popuplights said:

Yes. I post on Facebook about twice a month, with a few pictures, just to let my mates back home know what I have been up to ( I'm an expat in TX at the moment) I am very aware that this could be seen as bragging. See link for further details. I am conflicted. I don't really want to use FB, but it is useful... 

https://waitbutwhy.com/2013/07/7-ways-to-be-insufferable-on-facebook.html

As an aside, that's a pretty good site with some interesting articles. I do suspect the author is SJW, so you have been warned...

Same here really, I've deleted pretty much every other social media profile but there are just too many things orchestrated via Facebook for me to completely remove it. Never post on it though so it's not that big a deal.

2 minutes ago, gilf said:

Same here really, I've deleted pretty much every other social media profile but there are just too many things orchestrated via Facebook for me to completely remove it. Never post on it though so it's not that big a deal.

Similar. I have deleted the app from my phone, and no longer view it but have kept an account so people can contact me via their messaging service, and also for a handful of tied authentication services.

It’s 99% annoying drivel.

Maybe in a couple of decades people will view social media as being as dangerous to mental health as smoking is to physical health and be aghast that it was actually promoted and supported, in a similar way to how we view adverts of doctors promoting smoking from the 1950s.

14 minutes ago, Stunley Andwin said:

Maybe in a couple of decades people will view social media as being as dangerous to mental health as smoking is to physical health and be aghast that it was actually promoted and supported, in a similar way to how we view adverts of doctors promoting smoking from the 1950s.

I think that the biggest threat of the 'social' bit of online media to the individual is when people are encouraged by their friends positive comments to make or continue with stupid life decisions.

I often see friends trying to out compete each other in their fervour to egg people on with +ve vibes so as to appear the best, most supportive friend, irrespecitive of how idtiotically the person is behaving.

When in fact a best friend might be the one who'd say, "stop being an idiot"

Perhaps slightly off topic, when I visit FB I often get very SJW type adverts pop up for various 'lets stop hate and everyone is welcome' type organisations. If I click on the ad, does the advertiser get charged as you would if running a Google adwords campaign where you pay per click?

I can't decide if its better to click on the ads so they get charged (but then FB make some money), to ignore or to select the other option to stop seeing ads like that.

NB - I am very much for stoping hate, I just disagree with how some of these SJW organisations operate.

7 minutes ago, null; said:

Perhaps slightly off topic, when I visit FB I often get very SJW type adverts pop up for various 'lets stop hate and everyone is welcome' type organisations. If I click on the ad, does the advertiser get charged as you would if running a Google adwords campaign where you pay per click?

I can't decide if its better to click on the ads so they get charged (but then FB make some money), to ignore or to select the other option to stop seeing ads like that.

NB - I am very much for stoping hate, I just disagree with how some of these SJW organisations operate.

'Hate' nowadays  just means expressing an opinion contrary to the approved SJW norms.

It's becoming a meaningless word, like 'racism'.

Just now, Austin Allegro said:

'Hate' nowadays  just means expressing an opinion contrary to the approved SJW norms.

As in "Hope not Hate".  Hope = Soros agreed opinions, Hate = Soros prohibited opinions.

And they work by online harrassment of anyone with a Soros prohibited opinion.

Hope Not Hate receiving funding from hedge fund billionaire and open borders supporter George Soros

https://www.breitbart.com/europe/2016/12/23/hope-not-hate-director-panics-kassam-exposes-hard-left-tactics/ 

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, Austin Allegro said:

Yup.

Ironically, it's most often the SJWs who are showing anger and spewing hate. (see Antifa)

Look at the loving, tolerant SJWs in this video. Shoving Avi, shouting in his face, attempting to hit him with a placard etc.

Edited by Fischer

7 hours ago, Frank Hovis said:

As in "Hope not Hate".  Hope = Soros agreed opinions, Hate = Soros prohibited opinions.

And they work by online harrassment of anyone with a Soros prohibited opinion.

https://www.breitbart.com/europe/2016/12/23/hope-not-hate-director-panics-kassam-exposes-hard-left-tactics/ 

"The purpose of those who argue for cultural diversity is to impose ideological uniformity."

23 hours ago, Stuey said:

It is.  When I deleted my account I had the option to download everything but before deleting I deleted everything and unliked everything etc so there wasn't much to the download file.

https://www.facebook.com/help/1701730696756992?helpref=hc_global_nav

54 minutes ago, Bedrag Justesen said:

Not sure where to post this but think it's quite interesting.

Man tweets criticism of pub for allegedly refusing to serve his sister.

Man tweets things are getting out of hand.

WTF.

Irvine Welsh reads that post and immediately thinks 'well that must be true!' before calling for boycotts? Do these people not engage brain?

Sorry but on face-value that tweet sounds like complete bollocks to me. It may be true but I'd like to hear the other side of the story before pushing the boycott button. 

I wish, more than just about anything, that Jack Dorsey would wake up one morning and think 'what the fuck have I done?' He would then go on to send a last tweet to the world saying 'sorry, we tried but this really hasn't worked out. You're simply not ready for this,' before shutting down Twitter and deleting it permanently.

I think they'd give him a Nobel prize.

I made a comment on a similar story ages ago re. someone saying they weren't allowed in to a pub due to colour of skin. 

In this case the pub wasn't even named. Not even the location. 

You had countless people wading in - oh this is terrible. Disgusting in this country. Such terrible racism. Etc.

I just commented that there are two sides to every story. 

The responses I got were incredible. The number of sheep in this country grows by the second.