• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

spunko

Eurovision 2019

2 minutes ago, eight said:

I'm going to pull rank on both of you(!) and insist that she's off key.

But my main irritation with her, as I've mentioned here before, is that all her songs are about things that happened seemingly decades ago. I reckon she's just rehashing rejected Carly Simon material from the 80's.

Is this you? :)

3 minutes ago, swiss_democracy_for_all said:

Is this you? :)

Well, I didn't think it was. Googling "does Adele sing out of tune" suggests that I'm not the first to ask the question. Plus apparently there was one such incident where she actually did, by mistake, sign out of tune. Which my cynical mind has me wondering if that was done on purpose, to flood the results for anybody doing the same search that I did....

Thing is, there isn't much of what I'd call "tunefulness" anyway. It's something of a monotone. That's why it grates on me.

I suppose it's a bit like when Italians try to understand English - in that they're used to the up-and-down sound of their own language, and ours is flat by comparison. Which makes everything sound emotionless. But then to us, they sound very loud and "larger than life".

In that track I listened to: with the exception of the segment at the very start, the clues which convey emotion are missing. It's just one long continuous "push" hence the bagpipes analogy.

If she is always like that I would suppose it would make all her songs sound the same.

3 minutes ago, eight said:

Well, I didn't think it was. Googling "does Adele sing out of tune" suggests that I'm not the first to ask the question. Plus apparently there was one such incident where she actually did, by mistake, sign out of tune. Which my cynical mind has me wondering if that was done on purpose, to flood the results for anybody doing the same search that I did....

It's fair to say I haven't heard her sing live much (due to the whiny girl harmonic I mentioned earlier), the missus had that earlier album of hers and I heard that a lot, sigh, but obviously recorded tracks won't be flat. Plus it was a while back.

There is some talk among pro singing teachers online that the very thing that made her voice successful is damaging to the vocal chords, if that's true, over time she'll get progressively worse. This has happened to other pro singers. Search for a Meatloaf performance in the 80s and then another 20+ years later, the two voices are unrecognisable as being from the same person (I think in his case there were other issues as well as singing technique).

Adele's popularity is interesting, she came through one of the first stage school type discovered artist awards, so was quite feted (Chasing Pavements era). Most of her songs are a bit meh to me, with one or two that are very good. She seems to get the feelz vibe that women like - all emotional, all about cold, heartless men. I doubt very much we'll be singing her songs in 20 years time - her songs don't seem to have the live-forever factor (think of all those songs from the 60s, 70s, 80s - and even before - that we just know and they lift us in some way).

Every now an again female solo artists come along who are huge and of a moment - Sade, Dido, Adele (all 2-syllable, single names!).

However, fair play to her, she has done well and has an infectious, raw personality.

Don't get me started about Ed Sheeran!

4 minutes ago, Alonso Quijano said:

Adele's popularity is interesting, she came through one of the first stage school type discovered artist awards, so was quite feted (Chasing Pavements era). Most of her songs are a bit meh to me, with one or two that are very good. She seems to get the feelz vibe that women like - all emotional, all about cold, heartless men. I doubt very much we'll be singing her songs in 20 years time - her songs don't seem to have the live-forever factor (think of all those songs from the 60s, 70s, 80s - and even before - that we just know and they lift us in some way).

Every now an again female solo artists come along who are huge and of a moment - Sade, Dido, Adele (all 2-syllable, single names!).

However, fair play to her, she has done well and has an infectious, raw personality.

Don't get me started about Ed Sheeran!

I won't post it but whilst a lot of his songs have left me cold I thought Castle on the Hill was superb.  A British equivalent of Born to Run / Fast Car.

Alright I've weakened, though posted as a link rather than a video to slow up the thread.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0ibBPhiaG0

26 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

Adele's popularity is interesting, she came through one of the first stage school type discovered artist awards, so was quite feted (Chasing Pavements era). Most of her songs are a bit meh to me, with one or two that are very good. She seems to get the feelz vibe that women like - all emotional, all about cold, heartless men.

If she was a bloke she would have been arrested for stalking by now. Constantly banging on about her exes, phoning them up out of the blue etc. 

She is one of the very very few artistes that makes me switch off the radio if a song of hers comes on. 

8 minutes ago, Popuplights said:

If she was a bloke she would have been arrested for stalking by now. Constantly banging on about her exes, phoning them up out of the blue etc. 

She is one of the very very few artistes that makes me switch off the radio if a song of hers comes on. 

I didn't say that it was Alonso!

Though I agree that there are only two of hers that I really like: Someone Like You and Rolling in the Deep.

13 hours ago, swiss_democracy_for_all said:

It's fair to say I haven't heard her sing live much (due to the whiny girl harmonic I mentioned earlier), the missus had that earlier album of hers and I heard that a lot, sigh, but obviously recorded tracks won't be flat. Plus it was a while back.

There is some talk among pro singing teachers online that the very thing that made her voice successful is damaging to the vocal chords, if that's true, over time she'll get progressively worse. This has happened to other pro singers. Search for a Meatloaf performance in the 80s and then another 20+ years later, the two voices are unrecognisable as being from the same person (I think in his case there were other issues as well as singing technique).

Do not disrespect Mr Loaf. I have seen him many times live over the years.

He doesn't actually need to sing - the crowd does that for him.

The Eurovision committee would like to make it clear to the people of Britain, on this EU election day, that they have made a mistake -- they actually hate the UK slightly more than originally thought.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-48375560

The UK's last-placed Eurovision Song Contest entry has had its score lowered by five points, organisers say.

A revision of scores means Michael Rice's song Bigger Than Us only picked up 11 points from Saturday's final.

3 hours ago, dgul said:

The Eurovision committee would like to make it clear to the people of Britain, on this EU election day, that they have made a mistake -- they actually hate the UK slightly more than originally thought.

You wanna vote?  We'll give you a vote!

(not a subscriber, so I can only see this)

The UK’s terrible Eurovision experience just got worse. Michael Rice’s song, Bigger Than Us, has had its score lowered by five points after organisers found that an error had been made in calculating the totals.

The European Broadcasting Union said that Rice garnered 11 points in Saturday’s finale, not 16 as originally stated. The song finished in last place at the contest in Tel Aviv, Israel.

The error came about because an incorrect calculation was used to create a substitute score after the Belarusian jury was dismissed, the EBU said. It said that the mistake was a result of human error

Posted (edited)
On 18/05/2019 at 21:23, blobloblob said:

Jesus H Christ ours is even worse than I imagined. Thank you Nigel Farage for arranging this.

I think he has form  and should front the 2020 entry to really put two fingers up. Bedrag linked a video of somebody looking suspiciously like him backing Bowie to "I try"..

Farage....

Cv9VF2OWgAEug9d.jpeg.9ef5bd1e00b060ad8f145fb1f7465184.jpeg

Doppelganger...

Ukip-leader-Nigel-Farage.jpg.1265ae82ac4c4b39e5d4265ef5c7314b.jpg

Edited by crashmonitor