• Welcome to DOSBODS

    Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Great Guy

M & S Food

Recommended Posts

5 minutes ago, Great Guy said:

Markies is top class for food. I had some pulled lamb for dinner and it was like restaurant quality food. 

@stokiescum fuck your Fray Bentos pies and get yourself down markies.

 

As a counterbalance

We had some M&S rib eye steaks last night - very poor. Tasteless.

We never shop at M&S, we were given these.

Was very disappointed/surprised given the hype.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, JoeDavola said:

Call past just before closing time and go hunting for those yellow sticker discounts like a fucking Terminator....

I find they tend to reduce from say 5 pounds to 4.50. I don’t bother. 

They are also very naughty in that often you pick stuff up and it’s got a very short sell by date yet it isn’t reduced. Marks are the very worst for this 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, One percent said:

I find they tend to reduce from say 5 pounds to 4.50. I don’t bother. 

They are also very naughty in that often you pick stuff up and it’s got a very short sell by date yet it isn’t reduced. Marks are the very worst for this 

When I do go for the discounts it's usually the sushi/wraps/sandwhiches, which can be found at half price.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, JoeDavola said:

When I do go for the discounts it's usually the sushi/wraps/sandwhiches, which can be found at half price.

Ah, ta. I’m normally scrabbling around in the ready meal section (you have seen my new designer kitchen thread. o.O)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No where near as good as it used to be. Coming from Waitrose and now having to use Asda in NI I'm really impressed. It beats both Waitrose and marks hands down in the beef department. Also a proper butchers inside too. Only let down really is the merchandising isnt as good.

Popped into marks on Saturday with my mum to get some towels and stuff. Ended up not getting any felt proper cheap. Then walked around the food hall and was laughing most the way round, they're proper taking the piss. Sheppard's pie, with barely two mouthfuls 😂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

M&S have made a killing on food,  but mostly from selling reasonable quality sandwiches at fairly high prices to travelling sales reps at motorway services. I used to use them quite a lot for this myself until they started putting prices up and then couldn't even be arsed to put people on the tills in a lot of places.  To my mind if you can't be assed to take my money,  I can't be assed to use your store.

The one that often surprises me is coop. A bit pricey but surprisingly and consistently good quality for most of their food stuff these days..  would recommend to @One percent if still buying ready meals.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Libspero said:

M&S have made a killing on food,  but mostly from selling reasonable quality sandwiches at fairly high prices to travelling sales reps at motorway services. I used to use them quite a lot for this myself until they started putting prices up and then couldn't even be arsed to put people on the tills in a lot of places.  To my mind if you can't be assed to take my money,  I can't be assed to use your store.

The one that often surprises me is coop. A bit pricey but surprisingly and consistently good quality for most of their food stuff these days..  would recommend to @One percent if still buying ready meals.

 

Even better if you get your student discount 😃

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

MnS is better than 80% if restaurants.

Most restaurants use a bit to a lot of Brake Bros pre made food.

MnS have much better quality control and handling than a restaurant staffed with a bunch of EEers 'chefs'

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had an M&S dingbox special last night and it was ok. They want a kick in the chuds for the new adverts though.

I don't think I've ever eaten any supermarket food that was more than 'ok'. There's no competition between meat from the butchers and the stuff from the supermarket for example.

Is it just me or is the co-op weirdly expensive?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Sgt Hartman said:

I had an M&S dingbox special last night and it was ok. They want a kick in the chuds for the new adverts though.

I don't think I've ever eaten any supermarket food that was more than 'ok'. There's no competition between meat from the butchers and the stuff from the supermarket for example.

Is it just me or is the co-op weirdly expensive?

No.

Coop prices vary a lot. They can be very pricey.

And their staff in in some shops - jesus, its like Remploy.

I was stuck behind a fat slow Coop employee who had decided to block the sandwich cabinet with her fat arse as she lined up the sandwichs. at 1pm. With a queue of people trying to get at the sandwiches. It took 10minutes. She was linign them up, not adding, or removing them, jsut shuffling, at the time when people were coming to buy sandwichs.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, spygirl said:

No.

Coop prices vary a lot. They can be very pricey.

And their staff in in some shops - jesus, its like Remploy.

I was stuck behind a fat slow Coop employee who had decided to block the sandwich cabinet with her fat arse as she lined up the sandwichs. at 1pm. With a queue of people trying to get at the sandwiches. It took 10minutes. She was linign them up, not adding, or removing them, jsut shuffling, at the time when people were coming to buy sandwichs.

 

 

They also do stupid things with their car parks like giving them to the worst sharks to run and letting tourists not shopping there clog the car park so that their actual customers can’t park. I avoid it like the plague. If I am in town on foot, I do wander in. I’m amazed how few people there are shopping 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, One percent said:

Ah, ta. I’m normally scrabbling around in the ready meal section (you have seen my new designer kitchen thread. o.O)

That kitchen will be the death of you!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Sgt Hartman said:

I had an M&S dingbox special last night and it was ok. They want a kick in the chuds for the new adverts though.

I don't think I've ever eaten any supermarket food that was more than 'ok'. There's no competition between meat from the butchers and the stuff from the supermarket for example.

Is it just me or is the co-op weirdly expensive?

Costco USDA prime steaks are seriously good.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, One percent said:

They also do stupid things with their car parks like giving them to the worst sharks to run and letting tourists not shopping there clog the car park so that their actual customers can’t park. I avoid it like the plague. If I am in town on foot, I do wander in. I’m amazed how few people there are shopping 

This wasnt the Whitby one, a coop down south, market town.

 

12 minutes ago, Hail the Tripod said:

Costco USDA prime steaks are seriously good.

Despite claism otherwise, steak is a premium bulk product which is not fresh.

Steaks needs good QC and scale.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sgt Hartman said:

Is it just me or is the co-op weirdly expensive?

Totally.  And I've found their promotional displays to be misleading to me more than once (same with Tescos).  If you want good cheap food....er....source it and cook it!

Edited by Harley

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Hail the Tripod said:

Costco USDA prime steaks are seriously good.

I've heard good things about Costco, never been myself though, I'll have to check it out. 

5 minutes ago, Harley said:

Totally.  And I've found their promotional displays to be misleading to me more than once (same with Tescos).  If you want good cheap food....er....source it and cook it!

There's a little one near me that's ridiculously expensive. Occasionally I pop in for the basics and when I come out I find myself wondering how the fuck I've just managed to spend 30 quid on not very much. 

They do stock my favourite beer though that I can't find anywhere else so bonus points for that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Sgt Hartman said:

I've heard good things about Costco, never been myself though, I'll have to check it out

Alladin's cave.  I was spending far too much!

7 minutes ago, Sgt Hartman said:

They do stock my favourite beer though that I can't find anywhere else so bonus points for that.

I've just discovered the delights of Aldi Weiss beer.  Always found it too overwhelming but not this stuff.  Nectar!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.