• Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

One percent

Thomas cook fucked

This is probably a rare one that actually is Brexit IMO.

The uncertainty on health cover and driving licence will have caused lots to decide to skip their European holiday this year and leave it to next year when the dust has settled (assuming that it does).

11 minutes ago, One percent said:

Captain Cook?  The bloke who discovered Australia?

Nah, that was Captain Hook.

He also discovered crocodiles... to his obvious misfortune.

21 minutes ago, One percent said:

i would imagine it is more to do with people seeing all the terrorist atrocities and thinking it just isn’t worth it for a week of sun

This, plus no money (theirs or the banks').

1 minute ago, Gordie Lastchance said:

Nah, that was Captain Hook.

He also discovered crocodiles... to his obvious misfortune.

Captain Hook was the bloke who discovered the Hook Islands.

3 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

The uncertainty on health cover and driving licence will have caused lots to decide to skip their European holiday this year and leave it to next year when the dust has settled (assuming that it does).

Unlikely.  Thomas Cook don't do many fly drive holidays and travel insurance is the norm.  It's lack of money.  I see it everywhere.

2 minutes ago, Harley said:

This, plus no money (theirs or the banks').

I beat you to it, so there! People don't have the money. Thomas Cook do not send people to war zones.

Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, One percent said:

https://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/thomas-cook-slumps-1-46bn-061700099.html

Thomas Cook has reported a half-year loss of £1.46bn as it counted the cost of Brexit causing UK consumers to delay holiday plans.

i would imagine it is more to do with people seeing all the terrorist atrocities and thinking it just isn’t worth it for a week of sun. 

This will be due to be updated in a couple of months:

Aviation statistics provides information on activity at UK airports, passengers, volume of freight handled, punctuality, UK airlines, major international airports and airlines, casualties caused by aviation and air proximity incidents, passenger experience of air travel, security screening and emissions from aviation.

https://www.gov.uk/government/collections/aviation-statistics

Will there be a drop in the number of flights as well? Are the airlines reporting similiar losses?

"In Q3 2018, UK airports handled 90 million terminal passengers, representing 2.1% growth against the same quarter in the previous year and a new high in terms of the number of passengers flown in Q3 of any previous year"

https://www.caa.co.uk/uploadedFiles/CAA/Content/Standard_Content/Data_and_analysis/Analysis_reports/Aviation_trends/AviationTrends_2018_Q3.pdf

So perhaps more people flying, just not with Thomas Cook.

EDIT - the passenger numbers is not just UK holiday makers, I'll see if I can find figures for just UK.

Edited by null;

1 minute ago, OurDayWillCome said:

I thought Fosun were going to buy them.

I'm surprised people aren't falling over themselves to acquire a company that's losing £750000000/quarter.

As usual it will be combination of things. Even though I do get the impression people are tapped out holidays are the last to go and I've seen no let up from the people I know. Just now someone has come back from two weeks away in Florida, that also had their wedding/honeymoon last Autumn which had a three week fly drive around the states. I have no idea how they can afford it as they only bought a HTB a year previously. Their salaries wouldn't dictate that they should really be able to do that.

The biggest impact is probably over-saturation and competition in the sector now imo, just too many companies, other avenues D2C etc. Anyone been through an airport recently? In the last quarter I've been through a number of british airports and they're busier than they've every been.

38 minutes ago, Harley said:

Unlikely.  Thomas Cook don't do many fly drive holidays and travel insurance is the norm.  It's lack of money.  I see it everywhere.

And time. 

Barlow Jnr goes to school in September and even with using holiday clubs we will use up most of our holiday providing child care during holidays and also having to make allowances for illness as we have no family back up. 

Even being skintflints and on reasonable salaries we both need to work and at least one of us part time (3 days a week).

The countries going backwards rapidly. As a kid we couldn't afford foreign holidays but we always had 1-2 weeks in Cornwall or Devon. 

4 minutes ago, Kurt Barlow said:

And time. 

Barlow Jnr goes to school in September and even with using holiday clubs we will use up most of our holiday providing child care during holidays and also having to make allowances for illness as we have no family back up. 

Even being skintflints and on reasonable salaries we both need to work and at least one of us part time (3 days a week).

The countries going backwards rapidly. As a kid we couldn't afford foreign holidays but we always had 1-2 weeks in Cornwall or Devon. 

This. My gran didn’t work, my mum didn’t. I work my my life is worse than theirs in so many ways...