• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Unless you see a pair together, it is very difficult to tell them apart.

From memory: one of them has a coloured bar on the underside edges of the wing which can only be seen in flight.

However if you see them together the female is the more slender one of the two and it's really obvious when you see them side by side.

Also, if you observe for a period of time - the males are sex-mad and so it's not hard to spot which one is a male. It's the one advancing in steps towards the female before she usually rejects him and flies away.

One for Chris Packham maybe, but I've thought before that even the birds can't be 100% sure which are female and which are male.

Just now, DTMark said:

Unless you see a pair together, it is very difficult to tell them apart.

From memory: one of them has a coloured bar on the underside edges of the wing which can only be seen in flight.

However if you see them together the female is the more slender one of the two and it's really obvious when you see them side by side.

Also, if you observe for a period of time - the males are sex-mad and so it's not hard to spot which one is a male. It's the one advancing in steps towards the female before she usually rejects him and flies away.

One for Chris Packham maybe, but I've thought before that even the birds can't be 100% sure which are female and which are male.

Thanks Mark. That is the most sensible reply. I keep seeing these two. We have some healthy looking pigeons up here, not like the scrawny London ones, with no toes.

4 minutes ago, MrPin said:

Thanks Mark. That is the most sensible reply. I keep seeing these two. We have some healthy looking pigeons up here, not like the scrawny London ones, with no toes.

You have woodpigeons.

image.png.7e96af1c2c01bb831ca5caa6c458f3a0.png

They're actually really fascinating to watch in breeding season.

No - I haven't been sneaking up on them with binoculars, this all happens in plain sight. The foreplay and mix of roughness and delicacy all leading up to the three second long actual event is quite something to see.

London has feral pigeons.

image.png.ad1abf8dfd5d74614f4def541c7d06fe.png

They're a sort of mongrel version of a bird called a "stock dove".

9 minutes ago, LC1 said:

Fat healthy ones near me too. Is it illegal to trap and eat pigeons? Asking for a friend.

I'm not sure. Are they pests?

1 hour ago, LC1 said:

Fat healthy ones near me too. Is it illegal to trap and eat pigeons? Asking for a friend.

Not sure about trapping,  but shooting was made illegal in April.

I was once shown how to build an effective trap using a bendy stick and a piece of fine cord formed into a loose noose, covered gently in soil. Set one up and the next morning it had a bird in. The next morning it had a mongoose in! O.o

I need to get some doves, my last lot pissed off to better climes. If they bow and then make the cooing noise then they are probably male, I was told. A bit like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNC578SQ914

4 minutes ago, spunko said:

It wasn't really. It just requires a license.

True,   I guess anything can be shot with a license.

But an average layman can no longer just go out and shoot pigeons and rabbits.    Now just rabbits.

16 minutes ago, LC1 said:

My friend wants to know if they taste a lot like chicken, or more gamey, like zebra?

Make sure you cook them in a tasty sauce/stew. They're very dry if you roast them like a chicken. (I used to shoot them to keep them off parent's cabbages when young)

It's a bit of a shame to shoot/trap a wood pigeon for no reason though(ie if you have no cabbages/sprouts), they're pretty birds and I like waking up to the coo-ing sound. Completely unlike the scummy town pigeons.

29 minutes ago, LC1 said:

I was once shown how to build an effective trap using a bendy stick and a piece of fine cord formed into a loose noose, covered gently in soil. Set one up and the next morning it had a bird in. The next morning it had a mongoose in! O.o

Don't mess with those buggers. They can bite you with immense power and be away before you can blink, extraordinarily muscular and fast. Freaky animals, I met some "pet" ones in Africa(I wouldn't call them a pet), but I wouldn't want one.

3 minutes ago, swiss_democracy_for_all said:

Make sure you cook them in a tasty sauce/stew. They're very dry if you roast them like a chicken. (I used to shoot them to keep them off parent's cabbages when young)

It's a bit of a shame to shoot/trap a wood pigeon for no reason though(ie if you have no cabbages/sprouts), they're pretty birds and I like waking up to the coo-ing sound. Completely unlike the scummy town pigeons.

Yes, as Mark points out. I have posh pigeons, and I want them to stay.

1 hour ago, swiss_democracy_for_all said:

Don't mess with those buggers. They can bite you with immense power and be away before you can blink, extraordinarily muscular and fast.

Yes, it wasn't very amused to be in a trap. The locals hated them for their ability to kill your chickens and decimate your crops by taking one bite out of every single pineapple, or whatever it might be. It met with a grisly end (of a machete).

9 hours ago, MrPin said:

There are pigeons on the fence. How can I tell which is male or female? Ducks are easy.

If they are 'on the fence' then perhaps they themselves are undecided.