• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Gloommonger

MySQL hosting

Question

I need to host a small MySQL 5.7+ database in the cloud, unlimited bandwidth on SSD. I started using SiteGround but they use cPanel v66 which doesn't support MySQL 5.7 which I need for JSON data types. They were kind enough to refund my money. It needs to be cheap, around £6 per month and decent support. Any recommendations?

5 answers to this question

Linode.com, you can get a Nanode for $5 a month, although with cPanel will bump that up to $20 - I'm not sure if you can get cPanel for less than $10 a month now from them directly.

Have you considered using MariaDB instead of MySQL? It's a direct drop-in replacement.

Thanks Spunko, will check out linode. My developer is using MySql, I'll ask if they're happy to move to MariaDb. I like cPanel, makes it easier for me to query the db, but are probably cheaper options.

Posted (edited)

I too like cPanel even though most developers whinge about it and say it's laggy and pointless. It's a shame it's so damn expensive - if you can find a host with a licensing agreement (UK2 used to?) then it works out much cheaper than paying for a cPanel license direct. Unfortunately Linode do not provide cPanel licenses. It's a bit of a catch-22 situation though - most hosts that make a big deal out of re-selling cPanel licenses  tend to appeal to newbies and their servers are often shite. They need to make up the costs somehow.

I prefer bare-bones servers like the ones that Linode provide, they can be deployed in seconds - but they are quite basic, if you don't know what you're doing.

MariaDB is literally no different, aside from some very minor intricacies, to MySQL.

Edited by spunko