• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sarahbell

Return of the traditional market..

http://www.oldham.gov.uk/press/article/1336/oldham_council_to_launch_new_traditional_market_in_chadderton

The traders will operate between 9am – 4pm every Wednesday – giving shoppers the full day to explore the range of goods on offer.

Its history can be traced back to the 1920s when it took place every Thursday on Wellington Street.

So in keeping with tradition they changed the day.

3 hours ago, Economic Exile said:

We have farmers markets in many of the regions towns.

Expensive but very good products. Meat, pies, preserves, desserts, beer etc all from independent producers.

I was put off ever going to them again when I viewed a house for sale a couple of years ago, it absolutely STANK. The lightswitches were almost black because of the grime. Turns out the owner sold his carrots down the local village market... 54ad76c3a7fa4acfc58083e56ec89af5.png

My home town still has its market in the market square every week. It's a mix of local farmers selling their stuff - not obviously mouldy - and mainly Sikh chaps selling power tools and other utility things. Been going for maybe 700 years now and it's still popular.

We have farmers markets too but I found out that a lot of them don't produce enough for the demand so they trip off to the big smoke and buy a truck load at the wholesale supply.   It reminds me of when I was a kid I would help my Grandma in her grocery shop.  She sold three grades of potatoes . . . 1d, 2d and 3d a pound.  At the end of the day my job was to put all the unsold potatoes on display outside the store back into a barrel which was inside the store.  All the potatoes went back into the same barrel.  I asked my Grandma why people ever bought the 3d potatoes which were identical to the 1d potatoes.  I will never forget her answer.  "Some people just like to pay more."  

Not too sure what OP means.

Swansea has had a market every day of the week for at least a century.

Got bombed to bits in the Second World War and for quite some time was open air until they rebuilt it.

16 minutes ago, Byron said:

Not too sure what OP means.

Swansea has had a market every day of the week for at least a century.

Got bombed to bits in the Second World War and for quite some time was open air until they rebuilt it.