• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
MrPin

Restoring old cars for cash?

2 minutes ago, MrPin said:

I don't think it works, unless you get a slightly dented Bugatti, for £500.

Can anyone explain this latest obsession?

More money than sense

Just now, Hopeful said:

More money than sense

I have no idea why this is now being "promoted". It is the exact opposite of "scrappage". Got to admit I love to watch the programs though.:CryBaby:

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, MrPin said:

I have no idea why this is now being "promoted". It is the exact opposite of "scrappage". Got to admit I love to watch the programs though.:CryBaby:

Why is it being promoted ?

because only rich cunts and old farts watch TV

Youtube already has the monopoly on vidoes on "restoring your old washing machine" for the rest of us.

Edited by Hopeful

I used to like the Bernie and Mario programmes.

Though most of theirs only worked through the combination of an optimistic end valuation and a fully equipped garage and paint shop doing it all for cost with no VAT.

Restoring cars is a nice hobby but it only works as a job if you are restoring other people's cars and they are paying you at an hourly labour rate.

Just now, Frank Hovis said:

I used to like the Bernie and Mario programmes.

Though most of theirs only worked through the combination of an optimistic end valuation and a fully equipped garage and paint shop doing it all for cost with no VAT.

Restoring cars is a nice hobby but it only works as a job if you are restoring other people's cars and they are paying you at an hourly labour rate.

Correct Frank. All their garage equipment/spraying equipment/labour seems to be "free". In  reality this is all expensive. I've run old cars, and keeping them going is number one.

Posted (edited)

As said above, if you've got a fully kitted out garage and enough staff who know what they are doing then you could probably turn over enough restorations quickly enough to earn a few quid though I'd imagine the margins are much thinner than what the shows like to portray.

For your average bloke, I'd imagine buying up a knackered classic to restore at home is the equivalent of dropping an incendiary bomb into your bank account.

Edited by Sgt Hartman

Just now, Sgt Hartman said:

As said above, if you've got a fully kitted out garage and enough staff who know what they are doing then you could probably turn over enough restorations quickly enough to earn a few quiz though I'd imagine the margins are much thinner than what the shows like to portray.

For your average bloke, I'd imagine buying up a knackered classic to restore at home is the equivalent of dropping an incendiary bomb into your bank account.

I've only tried a motorbike. There's not much to them, but still seem to cost an arsehole.

The woman next door but one's other half does up cars. He drives it, makes it look shiny and then gets a new one. He must do about 6 a year. I assume it makes him enough to live on.

43 minutes ago, MrPin said:

I don't think it works, unless you get a slightly dented Bugatti, for £500.

Can anyone explain this latest obsession?

Not hear of it.

Id guess its tax credits - Daz sets up as a self employed car restorer.

How many kids under 18 does the person have

1 minute ago, sarahbell said:

The woman next door but one's other half does up cars. He drives it, makes it look shiny and then gets a new one. He must do about 6 a year. I assume it makes him enough to live on.

Probably not. there's one round here who does that. They look pretty good and are cheap, but no classics. I don't need a car just yet.

1 minute ago, spygirl said:

Not hear of it.

Id guess its tax credits - Daz sets up as a self employed car restorer.

How many kids under 18 does the person have

You always think everything is about tax credits.:o

3 minutes ago, MrPin said:

Probably not. there's one round here who does that. They look pretty good and are cheap, but no classics. I don't need a car just yet.

You always think everything is about tax credits.:o

Frankly, every busiess that Ive scratched my head about *is* tax credits.

I walked by two dog grooming places on the same street.

Ditto a black hair hair dresser shops in a town where tehres very few black people.

Ditto most of the vaping shops.

It really is all TCs.

1 minute ago, spygirl said:

Frankly, every busiess that Ive scratched my head about *is* tax credits.

I walked by two dog grooming places on the same street.

Ditto a black hair hair dresser shops in a town where tehres very few black people.

Ditto most of the vaping shops.

It really is all TCs.

Sounds like a posh area.

2 minutes ago, sarahbell said:

I'm guessing more recent cars c. ten years' old or so bought at auction in a tatty state / broken and fixed and cleaned.

That's going to make you a couple of grand a car if you're good at it; it's what second hand car dealers do.

The singlehanded restorations I read about in Practical Classics by non-mechanics without the fully equipped facilities can take over ten years as time and finances allow.

At the end of it they have a fantastic looking car back on the road of which they can be proud but it's always best not to add up the time and money poured into it because usually they could have just bought a classic in that condition for a third to a quarter of what it cost them.

There of course is no sense of achievement in just buying one.

Just now, Sgt Hartman said:

1970 dodge charger. 

Probably does about 500 yards to the gallon but it would have been fun...if expensive.

Dodge is Chrysler. One that age with a 4 barrel card probably does 10 mpg but loudly.

29 minutes ago, spygirl said:

No. I really wasnt.

There's were 2 t o3 fat mums outside, smoking, wearing the branded t shirts

Wasn't really the topic of this thread. I want to know why car restoration is being "promoted". It's a bad idea at best, and costs an arse, and only for enthusiasts.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Sgt Hartman said:

As said above, if you've got a fully kitted out garage and enough staff who know what they are doing then you could probably turn over enough restorations quickly enough to earn a few quid though I'd imagine the margins are much thinner than what the shows like to portray.

Overhead walks on two feet. Soon as you get a slow period/not pumping out enough cars your profit disappears as your staff still need paying. Might work as a side income for garage owners have the odd classic sat around for the lads to work on when there's no mugs to fuck over on their MOT's.

Don't doubt there's some profit in it for guys doing it on their own full time, but I imagine when all is said and done, retail cost of the parts, time wasted travelling all over the country to source the motors, transport them, dealing with tyre kickers, buying off ebay auctions meaning most profit will be squeezed out before you even buy the thing, bet it works out marginally better than working in mcdonalds and hell of a lot more stressful.

Much more money in being Somalian, driving a taxi cash in hand, having your wife shit out kids for free council house and hundreds of pounds cash every week in bennies. They obviously don't believe in banks, round here they all use the same cash machine, as you walk past you can see them withdrawing thick wedges of cash.

Edited by gibbon

45 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

I'm guessing more recent cars c. ten years' old or so bought at auction in a tatty state / broken and fixed and cleaned.

That's going to make you a couple of grand a car if you're good at it; it's what second hand car dealers do.

He went through a spate of range rovers last year. This year is more big trucky type things. Like barbarians. 

1 minute ago, sarahbell said:

He went through a spate of range rovers last year. This year is more big trucky type things. Like barbarians. 

Obviously he knows his target market, which is the local aspirational chav. I think he would struggle to sell them an Alvis.

1 hour ago, Sgt Hartman said:

The only reason I didn't get it was Mrs H. telling me she was pregnant, so no car but at least I still got to be financially bumfucked.

I bet it isn't often that the words 'bumfucked' and 'pregnant' appear in the same sentence. :D

Yeah cars are right royally expensive things to own...let alone restore. It's a labour of love thing, not something to try and get rich from. Unless someone else owns the car I guess.