• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
201p

Another dies trapped under Cinema chair - thought they might have learned to ban them now?

I have found them a bit too powerful.

Surely there's a case for legislation here; you wouldn't allow cars to be fitted with seatbelts so powerful that when released they kept springing back and knocking people's teeth out.

It's a bad article - only have to miss the word inquest. It would have been nice to add a date into the article of when it happened.

I guess journalists can reignite old news this way.

---

Power footrests = added value = recurring income.

3 minutes ago, dgul said:

Why do seats in a cinema need power footrests?

Because but for that, The Silver Surfer vs Wonder Woman would be shit, obviously.

1 hour ago, 201p said:

https://news.sky.com/story/birmingham-man-died-after-getting-neck-stuck-in-vue-cinema-seat-inquest-hears-11721514

Birmingham man died after getting neck stuck in Vue Cinema seat, inquest hears
Ateeq Rafiq suffered a "catastrophic" brain injury after the footrest trapped his neck while he was searching for his keys.

Searching for his keys? Bull'

He was trying to retrieve his phone 

After he pissed everyone off with his mobile phone antics during the film 

i heard folk walked out stifling a chuckle.

It's easy to not have much sympathy for the guy, but at the end of the day a seat that relies on a fuse to prevent it trapping things in the mechanism is a fundamentally shit design IMO. It could just as easily have been a young child at the Saturday morning matinee under there.

2 minutes ago, Rave said:

It's easy to not have much sympathy for the guy, but at the end of the day a seat that relies on a fuse to prevent it trapping things in the mechanism is a fundamentally shit design IMO. It could just as easily have been a young child at the Saturday morning matinee under there.

Agree.

When I saw the name, little fucks were given.

Harsh, but fair dinkum.

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, Rave said:

Maybe I'm in a minority here but I think the cinema should be taken to the cleaners. A powered footrest with no pressure sensors to reverse / cut power if an obstruction is detected is potentially (in this case actually) lethal. Electric windows in cars were once a culprit in this sort of accident and thus the design was changed. This was an accident waiting to happen.

Edited by the gardener

48 minutes ago, the gardener said:

Maybe I'm in a minority here but I think the cinema should be taken to the cleaners. A powered footrest with no pressure sensors to reverse / cut power if an obstruction is detected is potentially (in this case actually) lethal. Electric windows in cars were once a culprit in this sort of accident and thus the design was changed. This was an accident waiting to happen.

Wasn't there a story recently about a step-father who pushed the powered seat back in his car, deliberately trapping the kid and killing him?

7 hours ago, WorkingPoor said:

Searching for his keys? Bull'

He was trying to retrieve his phone 

After he pissed everyone off with his mobile phone antics during the film 

i heard folk walked out stifling a chuckle.

Sure it wasn’t dwarf fighting?

Is there something not quite wired up with you that you think that someone deserves to die for the above, and it be caused by a potential health and safety issue with a chair?

7 hours ago, the gardener said:

Yes, I can’t take my nephew and nieces on any sort of car journey without them incessantly fiddling with the electric seats I think they should be at most a weak gas strut of some sort.

I think there was a college student in the US who got suffocated in the electric folding seats of a minivan retrieving something so they’re not unheard of - a real tragedy where I think he’d managed to call the cops who didn’t respond because they thought it was a prank.

7 hours ago, the gardener said:

Agreed. This sounds like an inherently dangerous design. You wouldn't have any work equipment designed without fail-safes like this!

I can't help thinking this involved a joke that got out of hand. The controls are likely to be in the armrest. How does someone get out their seat and look for his keys then press the button that operates the chair and get his neck trapped? And all the while no one responds to his screams?