• Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
The Masked Tulip

Claims that Labour MP for Coventry North West & Blairite Minister Geoffrey Robinson handed secrets to the Czechs

The Mail is reporting that 80 year old Geoffrey Robinson, Labour MP for Coventry, allegedly one of the richest Labour politicians and the chap who lent Mandelson 373K in 1996 to buy a house is named in documents found in Prague as passing secrets to the Czechs on the UK's nuclear deterrent.

He has denied the allegations.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7045141/Labour-MP-spy-Czechs-Party-grandee-issues-denial-archives-claim-passed-intelligence.html

His Wikipedia page:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geoffrey_Robinson#Political_career

Fascinating.

I think the first question is why now? Euro elections worrying the Tories?

Bear in mind that he strenuously has denied these allegations. 

Politically irrelevant I would have thought given Robinsons age and the fact that Communism disappeared in eastern Europe 30 years ago. 

To be honest most of the 'intelligence' listed in the article such as political wrangling over the replacement of Polaris or the fact De Gaulle was blocking the UK joining the EEC was hardly a secret as the Czechs could have read about the facts in the British Sunday papers of the era.

7 minutes ago, Virgil Caine said:

Politically irrelevant I would have thought given Robinsons age and the fact that Communism disappeared in eastern Europe 30 years ago. 

To be honest most of the 'intelligence' listed in the article such as political wrangling over the replacement of Polaris or the fact De Gaulle was blocking the UK joining the EEC was hardly a secret as the Czechs could have read about the facts in the British Sunday papers of the era.

Well I would rather not talk about him specifically as he has denied the allegations.

But I think, generally, if a MP was found decades later to have spied for our major enemy of the time handing over national secrets that it would be a major story no matter how many years had passed.

How long did it go on for? When did it end? Did it end? What else was given to and to whom? Did the MP benefit financially or in other ways? What about that MP's associates? Did anyone die as a result of the information? Were we endangered?

6 minutes ago, The Masked Tulip said:

I would have a bacon sarnie and a glass of water before bed.

Won’t be long before bacon is banned in France and then in Germany we need a modern day charlameigh 

I’ve always suspected stuff like Mandelson’s scandals and his coming and going from government, Hinduja passport affair etc. is a public manifestation of a behind the scenes power struggle between various elite factions they’re front men for. For a long time I would have hypothesised possibly well known secretive banking dynasty vs well know royal dynasty but various things have left me less sure of that power axis in recent times.

13 minutes ago, stokiescum said:

Can we not blame de Gaul has an excuse to nuke France then Germany might suddenly loose its balls or am I to drunk 

Interestingly I think the de Gaulle era might be an example of a period when some national leaders were much less controlled than now. Apparently one of the reasons the Yanks had to always burn the dollar cash they had in whatever hell hole their meddling had forced them to have to rapidly bale from is that various front organisations were buying up dollar notes wherever they could then exchanging them for gold with the US treasury causing a serious issue with reserves. When they eventually sussed who was behind this it was de Gaulle.

3 minutes ago, SNACR said:

Interestingly I think the de Gaulle era might be an example of a period when some national leaders were much less controlled than now. Apparently one of the reasons the Yanks had to always burn the dollar cash they had in whatever hell hole their meddling had forced them to have to rapidly bale from is that various front organisations were buying up dollar notes wherever they could then exchanging them for gold with the US treasury causing a serious issue with reserves. When they eventually sussed who was behind this it was de Gaulle.

You might be correct but France is feted has the oldest allies of the yanks but either way the American empire is on the decline they just don’t realise it yet. 

1 minute ago, stokiescum said:

You might be correct but France is feted has the oldest allies of the yanks but either way the American empire is on the decline they just don’t realise it yet. 

I don’t really believe the official history that the British Empire, with it’s total control of the high seas just threw in the towel and let the Americans have their independence and left it at that.

I have a suspicion that the British lapdog going wherever US foreign policy does militarily is a misdirection and the reality could be the other way round.

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

I trust, if found guilty, that the death penalty for treason is temporarily reinstated and he ends up swinging from a rope.

Unlikely, Melita Norwood didn’t the silly unrepentant old trout.

Although whether she really was undetected and passed nuclear secrets undesirably or not I’m not sure. The more I look at the Cold War the more it appears the invisible hand of a higher power ensured the arms race remained close.

Edited by SNACR

7 minutes ago, SNACR said:

Unlikely, Melita Norwood didn’t the silly unrepentant old trout.

Although whether she really was undetected and passed nuclear secrets undesirably or not I’m not sure. The more I look at the Cold War the more it appears the invisible hand of a higher power ensured the arms race remained close.

You may well be right; I would still like to see him swing for it.

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, SNACR said:

I don’t really believe the official history that the British Empire, with it’s total control of the high seas just threw in the towel and let the Americans have their independence and left it at that.

I have a suspicion that the British lapdog going wherever US foreign policy does militarily is a misdirection and the reality could be the other way round.

Even has recently has ww2 the British had the biggest armed navy and maritime navy ie both biggest fleets in the world what people don’t realize don’t realize that during the war of indipendance was that Britain was basicly fighting a world war in all but name it was the world vs us and you could argue the world lost if I was feeling pedantic has our x colony took over our mantle

Edited by stokiescum

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, The Masked Tulip said:

Well I would rather not talk about him specifically as he has denied the allegations.

But I think, generally, if a MP was found decades later to have spied for our major enemy of the time handing over national secrets that it would be a major story no matter how many years had passed.

How long did it go on for? When did it end? Did it end? What else was given to and to whom? Did the MP benefit financially or in other ways? What about that MP's associates? Did anyone die as a result of the information? Were we endangered?

MPs below ministerial level dont normally have access to national secrets which is why I think the Mail article is a bit of a non story. The individual concerned did not enter Parliament until 1976 so during the period discussed he was working for the Labour Party at Transport House not in the Commons. The stuff in the article is basically political tittle tattle which might have some intelligence uses for the eastern block but to describe them as state 'secrets' is stretching the term. It is also worth mentioning that the Czech operatives like all spies had a vested interest in hyping up their sources. Good lunches and lots of expense account drinks would have been as big an attraction to most eastern block agents as to any of their targets when you consider what was on offer in the average Prague restaurant menu of.the era.

Edited by Virgil Caine

16 minutes ago, The Masked Tulip said:

Some Labour MP's seem keen on prosecuting British soldiers for things allegedly down in Northern Ireland 40 or 50 years ago.

Yes, apparently time is no bar for a vindictive prosecution.

Posted (edited)

It seems Mr Pravec fled Czechoslovakia in 1980 , a decade before Communism collapsed and now lives in a £800,000 house in an acre of land in an upmarket bit of New Jersey in the USA

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7045159/Czech-agents-stunned-response-Mail-Sunday-tracks-US.html

Hmmm....

One wonders who was spying for who.

Edited by Virgil Caine

Why is supposed rich MP still and MP at 80?

Admittingly, he could - and probably is doing fuck all bar clainimg salary and expenses.

Im minded of boros Stuart Bell who never turned up in town. Hestayed in the SOuth of France all year - Im not kidding.

Just fucked off, lived off his MP money. Fiddled expenses.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1356366/Labour-veteran-Sir-Stuart-Bell-held-voters-surgery-14-years.html