• Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
spygirl

Once we build a generally intelligent system, that basically we will ask it to figure out a way to make an investment return for you.

1 hour ago, spygirl said:

When I was a young kid watching voyage to the bottom of the sea, or the original star trek, they always had a computer (spinning tape reels and flashing lights) on board. Whenever the crew and the ship got into a bit of a difficulty and there looked like no way out this time (until after the advert break) I just used to be seriously puzzled and wonder "why don't they ask the computer what to do?" 

10 minutes ago, Funn3r said:

When I was a young kid watching voyage to the bottom of the sea, or the original star trek, they always had a computer (spinning tape reels and flashing lights) on board. Whenever the crew and the ship got into a bit of a difficulty and there looked like no way out this time (until after the advert break) I just used to be seriously puzzled and wonder "why don't they ask the computer what to do?

Perhaps they'd seen 2001 A Space Odyssey and already decided it wasn't worth the risk?

2 hours ago, spygirl said:

I suppose that's actually fine.  Lots of new technology has been developed 'because' and the applications were worked out after.  Indeed, it might well be the normal way for technology to develop.

The difference now is that TPTB have injected vast quantities of money into the system, all of which is looking for somewhere to go. This has resulted in bonkers investments and perpetually loss making companies, all of which just keep on going because the money keeps on flowing.  The more normal state of affairs is for tech to be developed in a very small scale (with lots of sacrifice along the way), until some actual return starts to be identifiable.

Frankly, our futures aren't being well serviced by this approach to 'investment'.

[I believe that real technological advances are revolutionary not incremental.  I think that our current AI isn't capable of doing what this guy wants, and it'll require some new innovation to actually move to the next stage.  But all the money goes into these massive companies which squander it on being 'modern']

5 hours ago, Wight Flight said:

Sorry Spy. You have let yourself down on this one.

Contender for worst thread title of the year maybe?

Verbatim cuntnpaste.

Id struggle to get the level of lunacy as succint as his quote.

5 hours ago, maynardgravy said:

I wonder if that's where the term 'logic bomb' originated?

I thought logic bomb was an emf pulse weapon design to fry semi conductors.

Shelved as ruski used analogue valves in their military kit. Immune to it.

31 minutes ago, spygirl said:

I thought logic bomb was an emf pulse weapon design to fry semi conductors.

Shelved as ruski used analogue valves in their military kit. Immune to it.

No it is some code hidden inside a programme that does something nasty if executed - say on the 3rd Friday 13th of a leap year.

5 minutes ago, Dave Bloke said:

No it is some code hidden inside a programme that does something nasty if executed - say on the 3rd Friday 13th of a leap year.

Thats called Windows....

8 hours ago, spygirl said:

Thats called Windows....

No.

You get better support and after-care from the logic bomb writer.

A better example of a logic bomb would be a routine to drop all tables if a certain programmer's name is removed from the payroll table...