• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Frank Hovis

Drought conditions? South West anyway

I was prompted to look this up as down here, being Cornwall and west Devon, rain has been pretty absent for a couple of months and there is pretty much none forecast for the next two weeks being the period that can be predicted with reasonable accuracy.

I was on Bodmin moor at Easter and most of the water hollows were dry.  There have been a ridiculous number of problems with deer on roads, I have heard more issues on the radio in the last week alone than I would usually hear in a year - I've had to brake for one and a friend had her car written off at the weekend after hitting one and I saw four dead deer by the roadside yesterday, and I wonder if that's their deperately seeking water.  Plus my garden water butts are running low and that's only happened once before during the ridiculous heat and dryness of last summer.

Reservoir levels sound fine at 85.6% although the graph belows shows that in comparing that to the dotted line of 1995, chosen for being a dry year, they were 90% at the equivalent point.  Plus they haven't attained 90% so far this year when in other years they've been up in the high nineties.

I don't get the impression that this is the case across the country but it either isn't or may be but it's too early to spark concerns.

Anyway, cue months of torrential rain this summer having posted this.

https://www.southwestwater.co.uk/reservoirlevels

spacer.png

Reservoir details
  Net capacity (Ml) Current storage (%)
Roadford 34,500 75.0
Colliford 28,540 86.6
Wimbleball 21,320 96.6
Stithians 4,967 96.1
Burrator 4,210 83.6

Posted (edited)

Anglian Water were worried in December that levels had not recovered from the summer, that was before "Dry January"

image.png.e00e547ac35931c57d9ad7a892aad873.png

I don't recall much rain this spring either, below average I'd say.

Edited by snaga

They like to panick us every year about water shortages and then it never happens, coincidentally the prices seem to go up around that time too, but that's our fault for using too much. I guess someone got to pay for the managements new fleet of German cars.

12 minutes ago, Snark said:

They like to panick us every year about water shortages and then it never happens, coincidentally the prices seem to go up around that time too, but that's our fault for using too much. I guess someone got to pay for the managements new fleet of German cars.

I hadn't heard any mention of it on the radio tbh; it's maybe a bit early in the year.  The deer on the roads is something I've not previously experienced, even last summer - maybe they're more settled by July and August -  and my water butts coming close to dry in May is personally unprecedented.

The chart actually notes that demand for water has decreased over the last two decades despite the "we must all stop wasting water" campaign that the water boards ran with last month.

1 hour ago, Frank Hovis said:

I was prompted to look this up as down here, being Cornwall and west Devon, rain has been pretty absent for a couple of months and there is pretty much none forecast for the next two weeks being the period that can be predicted with reasonable accuracy.

I was on Bodmin moor at Easter and most of the water hollows were dry.  There have been a ridiculous number of problems with deer on roads, I have heard more issues on the radio in the last week alone than I would usually hear in a year - I've had to brake for one and a friend had her car written off at the weekend after hitting one and I saw four dead deer by the roadside yesterday, and I wonder if that's their deperately seeking water.  Plus my garden water butts are running low and that's only happened once before during the ridiculous heat and dryness of last summer.

Reservoir levels sound fine at 85.6% although the graph belows shows that in comparing that to the dotted line of 1995, chosen for being a dry year, they were 90% at the equivalent point.  Plus they haven't attained 90% so far this year when in other years they've been up in the high nineties.

I don't get the impression that this is the case across the country but it either isn't or may be but it's too early to spark concerns.

Anyway, cue months of torrential rain this summer having posted this.

spacer.png

Reservoir details
  Net capacity (Ml) Current storage (%)
Roadford 34,500 75.0
Colliford 28,540 86.6
Wimbleball 21,320 96.6
Stithians 4,967 96.1
Burrator 4,210 83.6

I suspect if you put other years on that chart quite a few would start low on the left but rocket up to 100% when the summer jetstream settled directly over the UK. Try 2011/2012 for example, I know for a fact it hardly rained in Exeter from September to March, but after that I think it pissed down all summer.

2 minutes ago, sarahbell said:

We're nearly out of water on the allotment. 
Some dickheads have been spilling it for fun though

Well you're not having mine!

I'm going to be on the tap by next week as it is.

7 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

Well you're not having mine!

I'm going to be on the tap by next week as it is.

I don't care. I hate watering. If it doesn't grow without watering it can piss off. 

2 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

I thought it was an allotment.  Are you growing cactii?

Yeah it is. I've got lots of fruit bushes which don't suffer too much as they have deep roots. I won't water the runner beans after they've been planted. They'll have their feet in a depth of muck. 
Everything else can find it's own water. I really hate watering. I have chickens taking up some space now so less growing room. 
I do have some salad I should plant out but thinking I might stick it in tubs and keep it at home. 
I can get water to my plot really easily, if I bought a long enough hosepipe I could water my plot from home.  (50m would do it)

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Snark said:

Anglia has large natural underground water resevoirs, it's why our water is so bloody hard. But afaik there has never been a water shortage in this region despite being the driest region.

Edited by snaga

1 minute ago, Happy Renting said:

Dry periods are ended by, and therefore followed by, rain, by definition.

Yes, it's obvious, but not newsworthy.

2 hours ago, spunko said:

My water butt has been empty since early April but water companies don't tend to panic until mid summer. 

I think privatised water companies should be obliged to provide water even if it means shipping it in from China at shareholders expense.

Posted (edited)
19 hours ago, sarahbell said:

I don't care. I hate watering. If it doesn't grow without watering it can piss off. 

Watering only keeps the roots at the surface so you need to water more. Much better to have a compacted soil beneath the top few cms that retains water and forces the roots downwards to find it.

Edited by Hopeful

3 hours ago, spunko said:

My water butt has been empty since early April but water companies don't tend to panic until mid summer. 

Maybe you have a leak.

Is your butt plug in firmly?

10 hours ago, spunko said:

Fill it up from the tap with a hosepipe - problem solved!

20 minutes ago, Long time lurking said:

How many reservoirs have been built to accommodate our ever growing population due to immigration ?  

Indeed. We have been letting in 300,000+ people every year for the past 10+ years. And there has been no increase in infrastructure to cope.

Just now, Errol said:

Indeed. We have been letting in 300,000+ people every year for the past 10+ years. And there has been no increase in infrastructure to cope.

Mass immigration has not caused the water shortage

Mass immigration has not caused the housing crisis

Mass immigration has not made wages stagnate

Mass immigration has not made levels of violent and sexual crime rocket

They do think that we are entirely stupid.