• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
swiss_democracy_for_all

Did the winner get a buzz out of her victory?

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-48348431

Vibrator prize for Spanish squash champion spurs sexism debate

Trophies are seen alongside a vibrator, wax and an electronic foot file

A squash championship in northern Spain has sparked a debate about sexism in sport after female participants were awarded a vibrator, wax and a kit to remove foot calluses.

The top women players of the Asturias championship wrote to the local squash federation to complain about the incident.

It prompted resignations at the club that organised the event.

Contest winner Elisabet Sadó told the So-Called BBC that "things have to change".

Ms Sadó was awarded a trophy and a vibrator for getting the top spot in the competition.

The women in second, third and fourth places won an electronic foot file or hair removal wax.

"We were very surprised, very shocked. We think it's very sexist," Ms Sadó said.

"We wanted to explain it to everybody because we think... there's a lot of discrimination... [against women in sport] and things have to change."

The women sent the prizes to the local squash federation along with a letter of complaint. The federation has helped them to take action.

Maribel Toyos of the squash federation of Asturias and competition winner Elisabet Sadó pose with a trophyImage copyrightPHOTO SUPPLIED Image captionMaribel Toyos of the squash federation of Asturias (l) and competition winner Elisabet Sadó have criticised the prizes at the competition

Officials at Squash Oviedo, the club that organised the event, have stepped down over the incident, according to the federation.

"I think probably they just wanted to be funny or different," Ms Sadó said of their choice of prizes.

Ms Sadó said she was pleased that the incident had got people across Spain talking about sexism in sport.

"I think the important thing is that there is a public debate and laws in Spain and more protection so women can practise sport," she said.

the So-Called BBC has contacted Squash Oviedo for comment.

That's terrible.

I remember hearing about somebody who was, I think, autistic or similar condition meaning lack of social skills and empathy and in buying a Christmas present for a woman at work (he'd been drawn out of a hat, it wasn't a persoanl gift) he had been genuinely unable to decide between a box of choclates and a vibrator and had plumped for the vibrator; which she then opened in the middle of the office and was horrified.  He didn't understand what he had done wrong.

He had an excuse; the tournament officials don't.

Posted (edited)

I suppose it all depends on what the male contestants got.  If they got a prostate massager and nasal hair trimmer I'd say fair enough.

[I don't think this is sexism at all.  it is merely inappropriate.  Calling it 'sexism' is tired and inaccurate, and actually does women's 'equality'* a great disservice.]

[* equality of opportunity vs equality of outcome blah blah blah]

Edited by dgul

Judging by your average Spanish burd then the hair removal cream is an essential, the dildo was just to while away the hours while the former did it's job.

While it does seem a bit inappropriate, they could probably just have had a word with the organisers who would do something better next year, rather than try and humiliate them in the (inter)national press. Sounds like a very real chance that the few volunteers who run the whole club walk away, and the club folds. No more tournament. Brilliant.

3 minutes ago, Hail the Tripod said:

While it does seem a bit inappropriate, they could probably just have had a word with the organisers who would do something better next year, rather than try and humiliate them in the (inter)national press. Sounds like a very real chance that the few volunteers who run the whole club walk away, and the club folds. No more tournament. Brilliant.

Maybe, though the organisers were in the wrong (IMHO).

I agree with your main point.  Health and safety, liability insurance, council meddling sees many a voluntary organiser walk away from an event which they have been giving up their free time to work hard and organise.

There is a looming crisis in local clubs and village halls as most of the people voluntarily running them are in their 80s and looking to step down but there is nobody coming in to replace them.  A retired friend started taking an interest in his local U3A and, being twenty years' younger than the average participant at about sixty was immediately being lined up for what is effectively an unpaid part time job by the local organiser who wanted to step down; he stopped going as all he wanted to do was attend a few courses.

Got to wonder how this passed muster as a good idea.

"Hey Enrique, I've sorted the prizes for the womens squash tournament."

"Watch'a got?"

"Some toiletries, a callus remover and a twelve inch plastic cock."

"Did you say a plastic cock?"

"Hell yeah!"

"Meh. Fine. What could go wrong?"

O.o

3 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

Maybe, though the organisers were in the wrong (IMHO).

I agree with your main point.  Health and safety, liability insurance, council meddling sees many a voluntary organiser walk away from an event which they have been giving up their free time to work hard and organise.

There is a looming crisis in local clubs and village halls as most of the people voluntarily running them are in their 80s and looking to step down but there is nobody coming in to replace them.  A retired friend started taking an interest in his local U3A and, being twenty years' younger than the average participant at about sixty was immediately being lined up for what is effectively an unpaid part time job by the local organiser who wanted to step down; he stopped going as all he wanted to do was attend a few courses.

I’d say the crisis is actually well advanced and we are approaching total collapse of voluntary organisations (not including fake charities that cycle government money straight back to politicians via “lobbying”).

I’m peripherally involved with running a cub group, a kids football club, and a kids swimming club. All of them are run by less than a handful of people who put in vast amounts of time and effort just to give other people opportunities. Ungrateful, antagonistic crap like this will simply end most clubs.

They could have had a quiet word, or just laughed it off. They certainly didn’t have to go for maximum humiliation of a well meaning, if misguided, effort to provide sporting opportunities for women.

Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, GBDamo said:

Judging by your average Spanish burd then the hair removal cream is an essential, the dildo was just to while away the hours while the former did it's job.

Aye, I had a Spanish burd who had hairy nips. She was cute though.

Delores from Malaga.

Them the days when I was young..

Edited by mattydread
Lola was from Magaluf who got bummed everyday

I don't think the prize was appropriate at all, BUT if we flipped this around and the men got fleshlights as a prize, it'd just be a bit weird, everybody would laugh and forget about it the next day.

4 minutes ago, Hail the Tripod said:

I’d say the crisis is actually well advanced and we are approaching total collapse of voluntary organisations (not including fake charities that cycle government money straight back to politicians via “lobbying”).

I’m peripherally involved with running a cub group, a kids football club, and a kids swimming club. All of them are run by less than a handful of people who put in vast amounts of time and effort just to give other people opportunities. Ungrateful, antagonistic crap like this will simply end most clubs.

They could have had a quiet word, or just laughed it off. They certainly didn’t have to go for maximum humiliation of a well meaning, if misguided, effort to provide sporting opportunities for women.

The only reason I said "looming" is that in the ones I know the existing trustees / committees are hanging on because they know that if they step down then it folds.  However this includes people in their eighties who will not physically be able to carry on doing this.

Mrs Onlooker is trying to collect stock for a Father’s Day stall at the local primary school. It’s gotta be something that they can sell  for £1, and the kids bring it home to their dad. Proceeds are for playground equipment. She is really struggling to get anything donated. 

I reckon that the squash club simply got their prizes donated... 

I personally thought that story was hilarious. It also shows up the Beeb as now nothing more than a Cultural Marxist propagandist since the OP left in the 'relevant' stories too. 'How sexist is..' 'Is such & such toxic' 'Anti-sexism champion'.

Thanks for reminding me why I don't give them a penny.

19 minutes ago, Horrified Onlooker said:

Mrs Onlooker is trying to collect stock for a Father’s Day stall at the local primary school. It’s gotta be something that they can sell  for £1, and the kids bring it home to their dad. Proceeds are for playground equipment. She is really struggling to get anything donated. 

I reckon that the squash club simply got their prizes donated... 

Tbh if that request came to me I would be a bit puzzled as to what I could donate and can't really think of anything that I would give whereas I would happily chuck in a fiver if a similar request came to me from somebody I knew. I'd suggest most men (that seems to be the target audience) struggle to come up with suitable gifts but are happy to chuck in money for a good cause.

Surely she'd be better off asking for cash and then spending a Saturday afternoon going around charity shops and Poundland buying the stock. 

2 hours ago, Frank Hovis said:

That's terrible.

I remember hearing about somebody who was, I think, autistic or similar condition meaning lack of social skills and empathy and in buying a Christmas present for a woman at work (he'd been drawn out of a hat, it wasn't a persoanl gift) he had been genuinely unable to decide between a box of choclates and a vibrator and had plumped for the vibrator; which she then opened in the middle of the office and was horrified.  He didn't understand what he had done wrong.

He had an excuse; the tournament officials don't.

It sounds like a really stupid attempt at a joke gone wrong to me. As funny as a wet weekend in Bognor.

Is there any possibility that it was an attempt a bad pun which went badly wrong? I remember reading once that the Spanish for vibrator/dildo was consolador - therefore was someone trying to say, "Well, you won the women's tournament - here's your consolation prize!" without thinking, "am I also saying that I think you're a bit of a wanker?" 

cf Hanlon's razor.

5 hours ago, Frank Hovis said:

The only reason I said "looming" is that in the ones I know the existing trustees / committees are hanging on because they know that if they step down then it folds.  However this includes people in their eighties who will not physically be able to carry on doing this.

Tbf, it’s always been thus. My dad became a scout master as my brother could not join the scouts because there wasn’t enough volunteers. I guess that a lot of people get into volunteering through expediency then stick at it through either inertia or because they enjoy it 

33 minutes ago, unregistered_guest said:

Is there any possibility that it was an attempt a bad pun which went badly wrong? I remember reading once that the Spanish for vibrator/dildo was consolador - therefore was someone trying to say, "Well, you won the women's tournament - here's your consolation prize!" without thinking, "am I also saying that I think you're a bit of a wanker?" 

cf Hanlon's razor.

I was thinking along the same lines -- le cock sportif.

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, JackieO said:

Were lezzers on the ones who thought of these prizes? O.o

Seriously proper men would never EVER buy this shit, let alone give to wimmin.

Edited by JackieO