• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Frank Hovis

Almshouses

This may be a consideration, or retirement plan, for older DOSBODders.

There are many of these around the country but I looked this one up the other day because I used to walk past it regularly, Charterhouse by the Barbican in central London which was originally Charterhouse school which is now down in Kent.

I would genuinely be happy to live there; though won't qualify.

Requirements for entry:

Would I qualify to join the Charterhouse?

• I am single
  • I am older than 60
  • I am in financial, housing and social need
  • I have no significant debts (credit cards, loans or other)
  • I am able to live by myself and anticipate continuing in good physical and mental health for at least two years
  • I am keen to contribute to a community
  • I am a UK or Irish citizen and have been a UK  resident for at least two years

There's no guarantee of getting in but if you're in that position it's a great place to live.  The standard criteria for entry seem to be that you are deserving of the accommodation and will fit in; basically what social housing used to be like before it went needs based.

So anybody in a low paid job who doesn't fancy working until they drop: jump in.

http://www.thecharterhouse.org/joining-the-community/almshouse/

5 minutes ago, MrPin said:

Not sure how a person can have financial need AND no significant debts.

I think if you have a small pension that means you can't afford to rent privately then that would qualify.

They do have residents so somebody is getting in!

Posted (edited)

Oi! Frank!   Surrey is not Kent. :Old: We can just about be lumped together with E Sussex, but Essex and Surrey are a no-go. They're shite!

Anyway, this is clearly a load of bollocks. Almshouses were a major part of Victorian life because they didn't have any sort of government welfare. I am not sure what this nonsense is about., but the cynic in mean assumes it's a front for shafting the 'residents' after a few years and selling up to developers. There simply is no need for almshouses when you've got generous bennies. Their website is far too flash, the stench of private money is strong.

Edited by spunko

1 minute ago, spunko said:

Oi! Frank!   Surrey is not Kent. :Old:

Anyway, this is clearly a load of bollocks. Almshouses were a major part of Victorian life because they didn't have any sort of government welfare. I am not sure what this nonsense is about., but the cynic in mean assumes it's a front for shafting the 'residents' after a few years and selling up to developers. There simply is no need for almshouses when you've got generous bennies.

My mistake! I knew it was south of London.

They're separate with their own legislation and usually a long history and independent funding. You don't even pay rent, it's termed a contribution to maintenance.

They don't all require you to be poor either.

I regard them as social housing for the impoverished middle classes.  Anybody who is aged sixty or more and "just about managing" should give them a look.

We applied for my mum (not in London), no-one could have contributed more than her to the local community so she should have been a shoo-in, but were too honest in stating that she had a little money. Others less scrupulous have sold their own properties for close to a million, yet claim to be on their uppers and bingo!

7 hours ago, Ponty Mython said:

We applied for my mum (not in London), no-one could have contributed more than her to the local community so she should have been a shoo-in, but were too honest in stating that she had a little money. Others less scrupulous have sold their own properties for close to a million, yet claim to be on their uppers and bingo!

Put the application on DOSBODS but blur out the name, I am sure we can assist with any appeal...

"Please note, my mother's race and gender have changed, as she transitions to a black skinned male she will need the assistance of the Almshouse to support her"

On 21/05/2019 at 13:06, Frank Hovis said:

This may be a consideration, or retirement plan, for older DOSBODders.

There are many of these around the country but I looked this one up the other day because I used to walk past it regularly, Charterhouse by the Barbican in central London which was originally Charterhouse school which is now down in Kent.

I would genuinely be happy to live there; though won't qualify.

Requirements for entry:

Would I qualify to join the Charterhouse?

• I am single
  • I am older than 60
  • I am in financial, housing and social need
  • I have no significant debts (credit cards, loans or other)
  • I am able to live by myself and anticipate continuing in good physical and mental health for at least two years
  • I am keen to contribute to a community
  • I am a UK or Irish citizen and have been a UK  resident for at least two years

There's no guarantee of getting in but if you're in that position it's a great place to live.  The standard criteria for entry seem to be that you are deserving of the accommodation and will fit in; basically what social housing used to be like before it went needs based.

So anybody in a low paid job who doesn't fancy working until they drop: jump in.

http://www.thecharterhouse.org/joining-the-community/almshouse/

but I thought you were rich?

you had a fancy car and rolex once, I seem to recall

50 minutes ago, JackieO said:

but I thought you were rich?

you had a fancy car and rolex once, I seem to recall

I was joking about getting them!

As I said I don't qualify and that's because I have assets. I was putting it out there for anyone who wants to reduce their workload but is concerned about being poor in retirement.

52 minutes ago, spunko said:

Put the application on DOSBODS but blur out the name, I am sure we can assist with any appeal...

"Please note, my mother's race and gender have changed, as she transitions to a black skinned male she will need the assistance of the Almshouse to support her"

I think this might be one of the few occasions when being hideously white should have been an advantage. 

If anyone fancies applying in the future, just lie about your assets, assuming you are of that mind. The church types who make the decision are unlikely to check, though pissing off on cruises every few months after claiming to be skint might be taking the piss a touch. Doesn't stop the woman in my mum's town though.

Just now, Frank Hovis said:

Older than I used to be, younger than I'm going to be.

(Fewer things puzzle me than when I was young)

I'm going the other way. Once I was certain.

2 hours ago, Frank Hovis said:

Older than I used to be, younger than I'm going to be.

(Fewer things puzzle me than when I was young)

Reminds me of one of my favourite sayings "I'm not young enough to know everything"