• Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Frank Hovis

1p tax on self service tills to promote social inclusion

This reads like a Daily Mash story.  I mean seriously?  Wasn't Chuka Umunna at one point seriously touted as Labour leader? 

How can we imporve social integration?  I know - let's invent a new tax!

Supermarket shoppers should be charged every time they use self-service tills in a bid to help heal division, a group of MPs has said.

A report has been drawn up by the parliamentary panel on social integration which makes the suggestion.

Funds raised from such a scheme would be used to finance projects that promote social inclusion.

The panel is chaired by former Labour MP Chuka Umunna, who left the party to help set up Change UK.

A penny charge to use self-service machines was put forward as a policy to tackle damage caused by a lack of everyday contact between people.

https://www.plymouthherald.co.uk/news/uk-world-news/plan-charge-shoppers-1p-using-2891931

What an utter fuckwit :PissedOff:

6 minutes ago, Great Guy said:

Let's crunch the numbers... 60 million adults in the UK. Say they go use a self service till once a week. That's £30m a year... It's fuck all in government terms....

It'll probably cost £50m to administer.

What a thick cunt.

Just now, Fischer said:

It'll probably cost £50m to administer.

What a thick cunt.

Chuka rises to his feet in the Commons

"Can I call upon the House to pass my supplementary "Self Service Tills - Increased Tariff" bill.  Having looked at the proposals in the original bill as estimated on the DOSBODS website I find that my original proposal would have raised £30m but cost £50m to administer so I now propose to raise this tax to 10p instead."

The House divides to vote.

So, riddle me this, Chuka:

If I am forced to use a self-service checkout because I'm buying pork and beer; and the sole Seventh Day Adventist[1] available on the tills refuses to touch the stuff in case it makes them ceremonially unclean;  should the supermarket pay the tax, or should it be directly docked from the assistant's wages? What happens when they end up having to pay the supermarket to work there?

This is why stupid laws, thought up in haste, are bad. We can easily come up with ever more ridiculous cases which expose the shallow thinking for what it really is.

[1] Other religions are available, please check with your deity of choice with respect to interpretation of dietary laws.

24 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

This reads like a Daily Mash story.  I mean seriously?  Wasn't Chuka Umunna at one point seriously touted as Labour leader? 

How can we imporve social integration?  I know - let's invent a new tax!

https://www.plymouthherald.co.uk/news/uk-world-news/plan-charge-shoppers-1p-using-2891931

What an utter fuckwit :PissedOff:

Why not have checkouts staffed by attractive topless 21yo girls?

Then I'll willingly use the tills.

I like self checkouts.

Ive yet to have one confused by me offloading load of copper n silver into the machine whereas the average TEsco till monkey loses it with a few bits of loose change.

Posted (edited)

An utter utter effwit!

That's your new politician, of all parties.  And all currently doubling down, fiddling as Rome burns.  They just don't get it, or think they're totally in everlasting control through lies, guile, and a dumb electorate.

Who else was on this effing committee?  Any Conservatives In Name Only?

Time for a real Conservative party (and civil servants), tax reductions not increases. and an end to the meddling, corruption and policies causing these issues.

Drain the swamp.

Edited by Harley

4 minutes ago, kibuc said:

Why is this village idiot getting air time?

One reason and one reason only:

spacer.png

Do you honestly think that David Lammy would be an MP if he was white?  Of course not; the selection panel would be pissing themselves laughing at his responses to their questions.

1 hour ago, MrPin said:

I can't see ANY logic in this.

The only reason I can think of is to try to stop supermarkets sacking all their staff.  Retail employs around 3m people in the UK.   Last year 84000 jobs were shed.  

If supermarkets et al can shed 50% of their work force through automation thats 1.5m out of work.

Just now, Libspero said:

The only reason I can think of is to try to stop supermarkets sacking all their staff.  Retail employs around 3m people in the UK.   Last year 84000 jobs were shed.  

If supermarkets et al can shed 50% of their work force through automation thats 1.5m out of work.

Surely self service tills don't help with employment.

Just now, One percent said:

They do when I use them. Guaranteed to have to get the assistant across. xD

That's because you are buying booze.

worrying trend these new taxes for special causes, starts with a few and before long everything will carry a special tax for something or the other, it's a bloody cancer,  what next, 1p on postage stamps for victims of dog bites?

51 minutes ago, MrPin said:

Surely self service tills don't help with employment.

That’s my point,  they require less staff..  which is worrying for governments trying to keep everyone busy in make-work employment.

32 minutes ago, snaga said:

worrying trend these new taxes for special causes, starts with a few and before long everything will carry a special tax for something or the other, it's a bloody cancer,  what next, 1p on postage stamps for victims of dog bites?

:D

(out of reps)

2 hours ago, One percent said:

I would not use them on principle if they brought this in and would complain loudly if they did not have enough peopled tills. 

Utter, utter fuckwits. 

It's people like you that mean we'll need more immigrants on tax credits to man them.

I bet you use EE car washes too.

1p tax on every text that goes through the network 

1p tax on every email sent

1p tax on every vending machine

1p tax on every parking ticket machine

We'll be rich rich rich! (Well if I was on the receiving end)