• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

spunko

DODSBODS Travel Guide: Amsterdam edition

I'm going to Amsterdam next month for a few days (with a relative). Do any DOSBODers have any tips of what to do, what to avoid. I've had a quick look and a few things appeal: Anne Frank House, the red light district (just to see it, honest!), the canals. Other than that I'm worried it's going to be a bit boring for two younger folk.

PS: The cost of the hotels is a joke, looks like a cabal. Airbnb isn't much cheaper.

2 hours ago, UnconventionalWisdom said:

Make sure you book early. Theres not many spots so you need to book in advance weeks before during peak holiday season. 

Already fully booked for June... darn it. 

Rijksmuseum, wife blurted out the sex museum when asked, said it was funny.  Odd place to get your bearings, the semi-circular street layout is surprisingly disorientating.

Research where to eat before you go, some / a lot of them are  (or certainly were) pretty poor, don't think we had one decent meal.

I reckon you would like the Vondelpark, pronounced "fondlepark". Large and pleasant gardens with lakes and parrot things. 

Coffee shops, red light district, cannabis museum, clothes shops, flower market, seed shops.....

Hope you enjoy it, I used to love Amsterdam. 

2 minutes ago, Carl Fimble said:

I reckon you would like the Vondelpark, pronounced "fondlepark". Large and pleasant gardens with lakes and parrot things. 

Coffee shops, red light district, cannabis museum, clothes shops, flower market, seed shops.....

Hope you enjoy it, I used to love Amsterdam. 

Evening Carl. 👍

1 minute ago, One percent said:

Just to the kitchen. I’m good thanks 👍. Hope all is ok with you 

Bloody hell! 

When we renovated our place I ended up wondering how anyone ever got a decent job done, trades were almost all terrible. I ended up thinking if I was rich I would say "I accept your quote of £X000, and, if I'm still happy a year later I'll give you an extra £X000, and if I'm still happy give years later, another £X000. Half of them seem incapable of doing a good job though.

Hope you get it all finished soon.

I'm ok, not impressed with the many mentions on here of people voting for Farage though, @Long time lurking has been saying some good stuff about that.

Just now, Carl Fimble said:

Bloody hell! 

When we renovated our place I ended up wondering how anyone ever got a decent job done, trades were almost all terrible. I ended up thinking if I was rich I would say "I accept your quote of £X000, and, if I'm still happy a year later I'll give you an extra £X000, and if I'm still happy give years later, another £X000. Half of them seem incapable of doing a good job though.

Hope you get it all finished soon.

I'm ok, not impressed with the many mentions on here of people voting for Farage though, @Long time lurking has been saying some good stuff about that.

Tbf, they are doing a real quality job. Will post pics when finished. 

Just bloody disappear. 

8 hours ago, UnconventionalWisdom said:

Make sure you book early. Theres not many spots so you need to book in advance weeks before during peak holiday season. 

Just sneak in and hide in the loft.

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, spunko said:

I'm going to Amsterdam next month for a few days (with a relative). Do any DOSBODers have any tips of what to do, what to avoid. I've had a quick look and a few things appeal: Anne Frank House, the red light district (just to see it, honest!), the canals. Other than that I'm worried it's going to be a bit boring for two younger folk.

PS: The cost of the hotels is a joke, looks like a cabal. Airbnb isn't much cheaper.

TBH if hotels and restaurants don’t interest you particularly you could visit half a dozen European capitals and collectively they wouldn’t have as much decent stuff to do in a weekend as London.

Swap to Eindhoven - DAF trucks have got a museum there I’ve not yet managed to get to.

Edited by SNACR

Coffeeshops:

Abraxas

Kandinsky's

Attractions:

Anne Frank's house

Van Gogh museum

Rembrandt museum

Food:

Get there by 7pm. Any later and they're full..

Pinsa's - world's best pizza?

Casa di David - Italian, outstanding

Burger's Patio - essential, worth the walk

15 hours ago, spunko said:

Don't go if your relative isn't more excitable than you. If it's a boring relative, give your place up to a fully enthused one.

Just to fix the spelling: Kadinsky's, not Kandinsky's.

Also worth doing - half a day in Haarlem. You can get there by train, it's only about 15 minutes.

Lovely little town. Many designer and high-end shops.

4 hours ago, Democorruptcy said:

Don't go if your relative isn't more excitable than you. If it's a boring relative, give your place up to a fully enthused one.

No, it's quite the opposite. I don't fancy sitting around in coffeeshops getting stoned for 4 days straight is all. They might not want to do that, mind.

1 hour ago, spunko said:

No, it's quite the opposite. I don't fancy sitting around in coffeeshops getting stoned for 4 days straight is all. They might not want to do that, mind.

Been there done that. Won't take much! To wake up at the end of the weekend and try to remember what you did. 

4 hours ago, UmBongo said:

I went there in 2007, stayed at the hotel Moevenpick which was about half a mile east of Central Station next to the harbour. 

I'm staying at the Lancaster. A botanic garden on my doorstep. :Old:
Thanks for all the tips, I have been looking at Aarnham or Rotterdam as a day tour just to get out of the city. Even for 4 days, with all the crowds, I may struggle.

9 minutes ago, spunko said:

Thanks for all the tips, I have been looking at Aarnham or Rotterdam as a day tour just to get out of the city. Even for 4 days, with all the crowds, I may struggle.

The botanic garden is worth a look.

Delft is a lot prettier than Rotterdam.

9 minutes ago, spunko said:

A second vote for Haarlem, was very easy to get to, can't remember how many days we stayed in Amsterdam but 2 or 3 was enough for us.