• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Chewing Grass

Brexit Betrayal thread - Part 4

The Remainer bill tonight will....  

61 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. The Remainer bill to block No Deal tonight will...

• Pass
    • Not pass
    • Who cares??

2 hours ago, onlyme said:

Well, happy to file the warehousing and logistics sector's complaints about skills shortages in the bullshit bin, along with the rest.

The reality is a student is just no use for summer work in that sector. They can't use any sort of machinery, drive forklifts or trucks off the bat. There's no point making the investment in training.

There absolutely is work in the summer holidays for students covering holidays but it will be offered to students already doing saturdays etc. and they'll hoover it all up first in a lot of cases.

There will be seasonal fruit picking work, for example, but I would suspect very few will be interested in students as too often they probably won't be productive enough and have to have their wages made up to NMW. Best option is probably summer tourist attractions but that's a guess I have no real knowledge on the way they staff themselves.

2 hours ago, SNACR said:

There's no noticeable number of EEs. They've all gone home, get one occasionally from a driving agency but even on there it's mostly gone back to being young British, they seem to have forced out a lot of the old weirdos, who used to be the backbone of driving agencies, who were basically incompatible with holding down full time work anywhere. 

Not around here. The influx has probably eased off a little but there are still millions in the UK. 

2 hours ago, SNACR said:

The reality is a student is just no use ...

To be fair, there are probably plenty of other reasons why casual labour jobs are harder to come by. In the old days, many organisations probably automatically employed casual staff to cover holidays, even if they did more harm than good, because the workforce/unions etc would be outraged at the assumption that the existing staff would be expected to cover. Probably still happens in nhs and local govt. Plus all the other reasons that have made all forms of employment more demanding for everyone.

2 hours ago, SNACR said:

The reality is a student is just no use for summer work in that sector. They can't use any sort of machinery, drive forklifts or trucks off the bat. There's no point making the investment in training.

I worked two warehouse jobs over two summer holidays whilst studying for my degree. There was BASF and I think the other one was MK Electric. The work entailed packing up items going out for delivery, binning incoming items onto shelves, ocassionally using a hand operated pallet lifter, and some basic paperwork. It took them half a day to 'show me the ropes' and I was successful at it and well liked at both places. Of course, nobody would go as far as expecting a temp student to work a forklift truck or anything else that complex or potentially dangerous.

I did another summer job in a food processing factory. This was standing on a production line operating a machine which chopped up vegetables. Not even half a day of training for that one and I was productive for many weeks, successful and well liked.

Ok, here’s a thought (likely not unique). If Treason May had either not held a GE or done a lot better than she did, then her surrender agreement would have made it through the commons and we’d now be a colony of the EU in perpetuity. Likewise, if she’d lost Steptoe would likely have abandoned it completely, done a WA style “deal” or otherwise put it off. It’s only because of the governments wafer thin majority that we now have some real (but small) chance of a Brexit that looks like what most people voted for.

1 hour ago, ccc said:

Not around here. The influx has probably eased off a little but there are still millions in the UK. 

Obviously, there's loads in the SE but they've largely gone from my distribution centres. Numbers I had in retail store roles, outside London/SE were always minimal. Lots in hotels and the like anywhere like cities, with a high cost of living, but they've disappeared from a lot of other places.

As I've said before lots stayed whilst their kids were in the primary school phase, until they could speak good english, then went home and didn't seem to be replaced by a fresh influx. They're much more like traditional transient workers than other ethnic groups who are here to stay permanently.

21 hours ago, Starsend said:

My own industry, IT, is now shit having been taken over Indians, flown in on the cheap by the hundreds of thousands and taking previously well paid jobs in every single sizeable and many smaller companies. Where is the EU protecting my work?

And all while we were in the EU.

Actually non EU immigration has always been under the control of the UK Government. Nothing at all to do with the EU.

Is it true that none of our universities have courses in IT related subjects, or are our school leavers too thick to undertake such courses?

4 minutes ago, sleepwello'nights said:

Actually non EU immigration has always been under the control of the UK Government. Nothing at all to do with the EU.

Is it true that none of our universities have courses in IT related subjects, or are our school leavers too thick to undertake such courses?

There are courses in IT and applied IT at universities 

Could some EE workers leaving the UK be due to the weakening of Sterling to the Euro. The income differential would be eroded resulting in wages in Europe being better than in the UK. Also the cost of living is much lower than the UK in many parts of Europe.

4 minutes ago, One percent said:

There are courses in IT and applied IT at universities 

How come we have to encourage IT workers from the rest of the world?

1 minute ago, sleepwello'nights said:

Could some EE workers leaving the UK be due to the weakening of Sterling to the Euro. The income differential would be eroded resulting in wages in Europe being better than in the UK. Also the cost of living is much lower than the UK in many parts of Europe.

Because there appears to be a concerted effort to destroy the western first world. 

16 minutes ago, sleepwello'nights said:

I've had a 7% pay rise in the last couple of months, purely from currency movements. If only I earned enough that I could get to the Uk to make use of it. 

10 minutes ago, sleepwello'nights said:

Not sure many ever planned to stay long term. I don't think many looked to acquire citizenship or even get a mortgage and buy here, I'd say the intention was always to go back home and buy there.

I think the language was also an allure here as a Polish/English speaker would probably be seen as more middle class and useful than a Polish/German speaker and have more options. In that Youtube video, I posted a while back, of a German traffic cop's encounters with EE's, they speak to each other in English.

55 minutes ago, sleepwello'nights said:

Partially true. I believe that they actually agree quotas for Indians with the EU. The levels for the UK are way higher than any other European country. I read that somewhere but cannot confirm it's true. As I mentioned earlier, the EU is a big part of the problem but so is our own Government.

Not sure about what universities teach IT wise now. What I do know is that many British youngsters don't go into it because they've seen their fathers replaced by a cheap Indian. IT is quite difficult to do well, so why bother given the current circumstances. I'm a contractor and have worked for dozens of large companies over the years. Every single one of them is stuffed full of Indians now. Not British Indians, Indian Indians flown in because they are cheap. The scale of it is incredible. Our politicians need hanging.

I told my kids to do something else. 

51 minutes ago, One percent said:

Because there appears to be a concerted effort to destroy the western first world. 

I believe it's primarily about cost. Most companies employ quite a lot if IT people. It's difficult to do well and takes a lot of training. Like everything else in this country companies want quick and easy.

3 minutes ago, Starsend said:

I believe it's primarily about cost. Most companies employ quite a lot if IT people. It's difficult to do well and takes a lot of training. Like everything else in this country companies want quick and easy.

Exactly how difficult is it to say “have you tried turning it off and on again?”  o.O

3 minutes ago, One percent said:

Exactly how difficult is it to say “have you tried turning it off and on again?”  o.O

It's not always easy you know. Sometimes finding the switch can be a right bugger xD

13 minutes ago, Starsend said:

are the Injuns you've met any good. I'd estimate the number of Indians who can do IT at about 5-10% of the total who are employed in IT. Personally I'd prefer to work with North Africans than Indians in IT. Better team players.

Just now, Dave Bloke said:

are the Injuns you've met any good. I'd estimate the number of Indians who can do IT at about 5-10% of the total who are employed in IT. Personally I'd prefer to work with North Africans than Indians in IT. Better team players.

Mostly they're crap to average but tending more towards the crap side. It's well recognised by some big banks who looked into productivity that British contractors are about twice as efficient - but they still choose the Indians for some reason.

The current drop in the pound will be helping by making Indians more expensive.

I've worked with them in every contract for many years now. I hate it. Not because I hate Indians but because of the difficulties in communications. The wankers that make these decisions don't have to work with them all day every day.

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Wight Flight said:

Can someone explain what this means?

Boris,  and Robin Tilbrook have, possibly, pissed on Nigels chips.

Seems to have some legs in the US.

Edited by Bus Stop Boxer

5 minutes ago, Starsend said:

What I do know is that many British youngsters don't go into it because they've seen their fathers replaced by a cheap Indian. IT is quite difficult to do well, so why bother given the current circumstances. I'm a contractor and have worked for dozens of large companies over the years. Every single one of them is stuffed full of Indians now. Not British Indians, Indian Indians flown in because they are cheap. The scale of it is incredible. Our politicians need hanging.

I told my kids to do something else. 

My second from last (and final 'cos I ain't playing their fucking game anymore) IT contract at big name multinational company I would come in every day at 8 am. The shipped in Indians were already in from 7 am or earlier. I generally left at 6:30 or 7pm. They were still there... carried on until 9 or 10 each evening, I understand. So disorganized and chaotic they were... all day long jabbering away loudly at eachother in Indian with tones of panic as yet another system release got fubar'ed. Then suddenly they'd vanish for a few weeks. WTF? Oh they've all gone back to India but would return again. Some kind of H1B loophole or something....

They got one of them working in our team and he was tasked with trying to turn me and the rest of us contractors, into some sort of script. How do you set up the server when XYZ? Mate, you talk to the project manager and find out what is needed then you call upon your years and years of experience and knowledge, which you clearly don't have, and then you work out what you need to do to make it XYZ. I had a non work chat with the guy and learned that he had only taken three days holiday in as many years and that was only so he could go back home to bury his dead grandmother. Seriously!

Cunts! Not the Indians... the sweatshop merchant global corps raking in millions and treating their workers like scum.

2 minutes ago, Bus Stop Boxer said:

Boris,  and Robin Tilbrook have, possibly, pissed on Nigels chips.

Seems to have some legs in the US.

Please can you explain to me now ?

Ta :)