• Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Frank Hovis

Badger hair shaving brush

As we have experts on here I will save myself some extensive Duckduckgoing.

As a present for my Dad I want to buy the aforementioned badger hair shaving brush.  He was moaning about his shaving soap the other day and I was saying juts how much difference a badger hair brush makes in giving you a much better lather (mine was also a present).

I want a decent one that looks good; best value one for £40 / £50.  I am wary of simple searching in case I end up with a Chinese one that's actually from a slaughtered Panda.

Can anyone point me to some suitable candidates?

I’ve had a few over the years and you should be able to get a decent one for around £50. Tips: Always use a stand to allow it to dry upside down. Never use red hot water - it will melt the glue ball and the hairs will prematurely fall out. Bigger isn’t always better... although suppose this is personal choice.

Decent cream like Geo F Trumper (lime) is essential 

24 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

As we have experts on here I will save myself some extensive Duckduckgoing.

As a present for my Dad I want to buy the aforementioned badger hair shaving brush.  He was moaning about his shaving soap the other day and I was saying juts how much difference a badger hair brush makes in giving you a much better lather (mine was also a present).

I want a decent one that looks good; best value one for £40 / £50.  I am wary of simple searching in case I end up with a Chinese one that's actually from a slaughtered Panda.

Can anyone point me to some suitable candidates?

Slightly OT, I quite often see badger corpses at the side of the road when I’m out cycling. Can anyone recommend the best way of shaving them so I can make my own brush?

Too late now but my personal preference is for a badger/boar mix. I find that pure badger wears out quite quickly and is a little too soft; boar gives it a bit of hardness and longevity.

Although an expensive cream is a nice luxury, it is not essential - I use a Palmolive shave stick (49p from Superdrug) and these produce an excellent lather with good cushioning.

2 minutes ago, Austin Allegro said:

Too late now but my personal preference is for a badger/boar mix. I find that pure badger wears out quite quickly and is a little too soft; boar gives it a bit of hardness and longevity.

Although an expensive cream is a nice luxury, it is not essential - I use a Palmolive shave stick (49p from Superdrug) and these produce an excellent lather with good cushioning.

I did read through the categories on the Executive Shaving website and liked the sound of best badger; prior to this thread I thought it was a simple bristle / badger / synthetic split but there are big differences and pricier isn't necessarily best.  Rather it's what suits you.

Best Badger Shaving Brushes

This is a firmer quality of badger hair. It is typically regarded as a mid-quality type of brush. The white/brown colour in the better quality Best grade brushes is similar to Silvertip. The hair is stiff to the touch and is very popular with wet shavers who use their brush to exfoliate their skin at the same time as preparing it for shaving. A best badger hair shaving brush is ideal if you like to use shaving soaps, as the stiffer bristles create a thicker and richer lather from the shaving soap. Best badger brushes tend to be good value for money.

https://www.executive-shaving.co.uk/shaving-brushes-types-and-grades

I have about a year's razors remaining from my stock of Lidl two blade cartridge razors which I find to be excellent but they ceased to stock last year.  Once they run out I may return to that site becuase it looks very indulgent and yet, given the use one gets out of such things and their longevity, it's actually an incredibly cheap indulgence.

26 minutes ago, Austin Allegro said:

I use a Palmolive shave stick (49p from Superdrug) and these produce an excellent lather with good cushioning.

I am also a fan of the Palmolive stick. I have Imported about 10 of these to the US. Should last me a couple of years. 

DOSBODS value for money award winner too..

3 hours ago, Wheeler said:

Slightly OT, I quite often see badger corpses at the side of the road when I’m out cycling. Can anyone recommend the best way of shaving them so I can make my own brush?

it's getting the hairs into the brush that's the difficult bit

I bought a badger hair brush from these guys, great service and prices

https://www.traditionalshaving.co.uk/268153-Badger-Shaving-Brushes

I got one of the ebony pure badger brushes, very nice it is too, doesn't shed much, it's imperitive to get a drip stand too so the brush is hung downwards otherwise the bristles will stay wet, clump and become damaged

Got a cheap Chinese one on Amazon..  supposedly genuine badger hair.

It’s ok,  smells a bit so I presume it is genuine dead animal.

After a month it has lost a few bristles but still going ok.  Not really very different from a regular synthetic one..  I’ll probably go back to those again to be honest.

+1 for the shave soap bowl.  Never worked out how to use the sticks o.O

7 minutes ago, Libspero said:

Got a cheap Chinese one on Amazon..  supposedly genuine badger hair.

It’s ok,  smells a bit so I presume it is genuine dead animal.

After a month it has lost a few bristles but still going ok.  Not really very different from a regular synthetic one..  I’ll probably go back to those again to be honest.

+1 for the shave soap bowl.  Never worked out how to use the sticks o.O

Have a read on the link of the different hairs. I already have a badger brush myself, not sure of the type, and it is far better than the bristle brush in producing a foamy lather.

I also don't understand the sticks but didn't want to admit that.

2 hours ago, Frank Hovis said:

Wilkinson Sword shaving soap for me; £2.25 from Wilko.

spacer.png

I haven't tracked how long it lasts because it just keeps going.  Eight months maybe.

Is it imperative to use a brush to apply this or can it be scooped out and applied by hand? I like the sound of 8 months worth but I don't use a brush.

9 minutes ago, RWJ said:

Is it imperative to use a brush to apply this or can it be scooped out and applied by hand? I like the sound of 8 months worth but I don't use a brush.

You can use your hand with most of the soft soaps or creams.

But a brush is better as it effoliates the whiskers and skin. The process of rubbing is time and time allows the whiskers to soften from the warm water and soap impregnating them. The brush also helps lift up the hairs allowing a better or closer cut.

1 hour ago, RWJ said:

It has to be a brush. It's a solid block and the brush with hot water creates the lather.

1 hour ago, RWJ said:

If saving money is your requirement, you can use one of those big cheapo bottles of conditioner as a shaving cream. That will keep you going for about 60p a year!

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Dave Bloke said:

What about beaver hair?

Getting confused here.

So is this using beaver hair to shave from Gentleman Jack?

Product placement if ever there was.

NSFW

13996098-7073511-image-a-99_1558915753434.jpg

Edited by spunko