• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
One percent

The only gay in the village

Suprised that this is in the guardian.  They must have been in a right flap about how to spin it

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/jun/05/dutee-chand-india-athlete-coming-out

Supporters of India’s first openly gay athlete fear for her safety after her decision to come out prompted a backlash in her home village.

Local reaction was hostile in Chaka Gopalpur, a village of weavers in Odisha, after Dutee Chand, the country’s fastest sprinter, told reporters on 19 May that her gay partner was her soulmate.

Chand’s mother, Akhuji, told the Indian Express: “I had been supporting her all along for her special interest in sports but … we belong to a traditional weaver community, which does not permit such things. How can we face our relatives and society?”

Prashant Behra, a villager, said: “It’s humiliating for all of us. We have supported her all the way in her running but we cannot accept this relationship. Marriage can only be between a man and a woman. She should never have talked about it to the whole world. She should stick to running.”

Just now, Great Guy said:

The crazy thing is it wasn't that long ago that the UK was similar....

I think you'll find that it mostly still is outside of universities, the public sector, and middle class discussion forums like this one.

A friend said about back in the nineties how an old school friend of his had been entirely disowned by his mother to the extent that she would deny having a son after he came out as gay.

I wonder to what extent the issue with gay people amongst elders is more about the likelihood that their kids aren't likely to reproduce so a knock on effect would occur on caring for the grandparents? :/ just a thought anyway. 

Some are worried about her safety in the current climate, in which extremist Hindu mobs can appear from nowhere to assault or lynch Muslims or those of a different sexuality.

Because the Muslim mobs wouldn't be doing exactly the same thing if they were in a majority? Just had to get the Muslims are the victims in there somehow!

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, Cosmic Apple said:

Some are worried about her safety in the current climate, in which extremist Hindu mobs can appear from nowhere to assault or lynch Muslims or those of a different sexuality.

Those darn, gay Muslims.

If only they'd just go up to the top of the nearest building and toss themselves off.

Edited by TheNoSnowMan

5 hours ago, MrPin said:

There are plenty of gay people in India.

I had an Indian housemate at uni. He went on a trip to Holland. Not to sample the ladies of the night or sex museums mind, but to go to the worlds biggest flower auction. He also had fresh flowers delivered every day. 

Don't know about gay, but a lot of them seem kind of camp, covering new vehicles in flowers for 'luck' (yeah, right) and suchlike

2 hours ago, Frank Hovis said:

I think you'll find that it mostly still is outside of universities, the public sector, and middle class discussion forums like this one.

A friend said about back in the nineties how an old school friend of his had been entirely disowned by his mother to the extent that she would deny having a son after he came out as gay.

I’m not so sure about that in general. My home town (village really) has a gay couple running the one and only pub/shop/drop-in centre and they are very well liked and respected locally to the extent that the old grannies sewing circle, of which my mum is a part, made them a patchwork pride flag a few years back. And this is North Yorkshire! Might be different in the ‘Boro mind you.

12 minutes ago, TheBlueCat said:

I’m not so sure about that in general. My home town (village really) has a gay couple running the one and only pub/shop/drop-in centre and they are very well liked and respected locally to the extent that the old grannies sewing circle, of which my mum is a part, made them a patchwork pride flag a few years back. And this is North Yorkshire! Might be different in the ‘Boro mind you.

I wonder if they didn't run the only pub/shop?

23 minutes ago, NewryH said:

I wonder if they didn't run the only pub/shop?

Hard to say for sure. One is a local - been in the area for decades - and the other is from down South somewhere. When I was a kid they’d have been run out of town quite likely but I don’t sense that hostility is there these days. 

9 hours ago, One percent said:

Suprised that this is in the guardian.  They must have been in a right flap about how to spin it

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/jun/05/dutee-chand-india-athlete-coming-out

Supporters of India’s first openly gay athlete fear for her safety after her decision to come out prompted a backlash in her home village.

Local reaction was hostile in Chaka Gopalpur, a village of weavers in Odisha, after Dutee Chand, the country’s fastest sprinter, told reporters on 19 May that her gay partner was her soulmate.

Chand’s mother, Akhuji, told the Indian Express: “I had been supporting her all along for her special interest in sports but … we belong to a traditional weaver community, which does not permit such things. How can we face our relatives and society?”

Prashant Behra, a villager, said: “It’s humiliating for all of us. We have supported her all the way in her running but we cannot accept this relationship. Marriage can only be between a man and a woman. She should never have talked about it to the whole world. She should stick to running.”

Has she confused triathlon with tribbing?

36 minutes ago, TheBlueCat said:

Hard to say for sure. One is a local - been in the area for decades - and the other is from down South somewhere. When I was a kid they’d have been run out of town quite likely but I don’t sense that hostility is there these days. 

I think people have learned that they could easily have much worse in their village than a gay couple or two. They could have a shower of DOSBODSers in stealth camping vans living off grid and washing very occasionally! :Old: