• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Libspero

End to free TV licenses for over 75s

29 minutes ago, unregistered_guest said:

Been there for 20 years - give or take - it's called the So-Called BBC Asian Network. Although Wikipedia does point out:

Despite the name, BBC Asian Network only covers the Indian subcontinent, with countries from the rest of the continent – including developed countries like China, Japan and Singapore – not catered for.

Oddly enough, the Wikipedia entry for BBC Asian Network doesn't have any information about the embarrassment caused by their twitter account asking What is the right punishment for blasphemy? in 2017 and the controversy surrounding their 2019 tweet regarding Rahaf Mohammed alQunun's decision to leave islam.

However, it does contain a reference to something that I don't recall anyone here discussing in 2018/early 2019. Apparently, it's perfectly OK to reveal the identity of a victim of the Rotherham abuse gangs live on the radio - provided it's an honest mistake! Obviously, we all feel a great deal of sympathy for Arif Ansari and Rickin Majithia - who must have therefore had to endure approximately a year of incarceration in solitary confinement until their case came to trial; because that's the way we treat journalists in this country, isn't it?

I thought they were contractually obliged to talk over the music and cut tracks short to discourage people from recording the broadcasts.

Remember, kids, home-taping is killing music!

I meant on the primetime channels BBC 1 and 2.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, unregistered_guest said:

Been there for 20 years - give or take - it's called the So-Called BBC Asian Network. Although Wikipedia does point out:

Despite the name, BBC Asian Network only covers the Indian subcontinent, with countries from the rest of the continent – including developed countries like China, Japan and Singapore – not catered for.

Oddly enough, the Wikipedia entry for BBC Asian Network doesn't have any information about the embarrassment caused by their twitter account asking What is the right punishment for blasphemy? in 2017 and the controversy surrounding their 2019 tweet regarding Rahaf Mohammed alQunun's decision to leave islam.

However, it does contain a reference to something that I don't recall anyone here discussing in 2018/early 2019. Apparently, it's perfectly OK to reveal the identity of a victim of the Rotherham abuse gangs live on the radio - provided it's an honest mistake! Obviously, we all feel a great deal of sympathy for Arif Ansari and Rickin Majithia - who must have therefore had to endure approximately a year of incarceration in solitary confinement until their case came to trial; because that's the way we treat journalists in this country, isn't it?

I thought they were contractually obliged to talk over the music and cut tracks short to discourage people from recording the broadcasts.

Remember, kids, home-taping is killing music!

Maybe - and to discourage people who want to listen to radio music - they might as well not bother playing it at all as it certainly isn't entertaining.

Edited by twocents

Successish!

According to the email I received yesterday, nearly 247,000 people signed the petition.

This is wot it said:

Parliament is going to debate the petition you signed – “Abolish the So-Called BBC television license.”

The debate is scheduled for 15 July 2019.

Once the debate has happened, we’ll email you a video and transcript.

Thanks,
The Petitions team
UK Government and Parliament

19 minutes ago, Gordie Lastchance said:

Successish!

According to the email I received yesterday, nearly 247,000 people signed the petition.

This is wot it said:

Parliament is going to debate the petition you signed – “Abolish the So-Called BBC television license.”

The debate is scheduled for 15 July 2019.

Once the debate has happened, we’ll email you a video and transcript.

Thanks,
The Petitions team
UK Government and Parliament

I would much prefer the petition to have been: Abolish the So-Called BBC.

44 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

My fear would that its funding would be met from general taxation and it would be allowed to bloat even further.

That's not something I had even considered, until now. Hopefully others will wake up to that danger, too.

If you thought things were bad now, can you imagine how propagandized the So-Called BBC would become if all of its funding came direct from government?