• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
One percent

helicopter crashed into roof of skyscraper in Manhattan

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7125425/Plane-crashes-building-Midtown-Manhattan.html

One person has died after a helicopter crash landed into a building in Midtown Manhattan, NYPD officials confirmed.

Emergency crews responded to the incident at 787 Seventh Ave just before 1pm Monday.

Smoke was seen billowing from the top of the 54-story building as police ordered the evacuation of several structures in the area as a precaution.  

No details about the person killed have been released, and no additional injuries have been reported.  

2 minutes ago, One percent said:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7125425/Plane-crashes-building-Midtown-Manhattan.html

One person has died after a helicopter crash landed into a building in Midtown Manhattan, NYPD officials confirmed.

Emergency crews responded to the incident at 787 Seventh Ave just before 1pm Monday.

Smoke was seen billowing from the top of the 54-story building as police ordered the evacuation of several structures in the area as a precaution.  

No details about the person killed have been released, and no additional injuries have been reported.  

I wonder will the building collapse into itself like all the other big buildings that catch fire in NYC?  I doubt it.

1 minute ago, montecristo said:

I wonder will the building collapse into itself like all the other big buildings that catch fire in NYC?  I doubt it.

Duh, well no.  It hasn’t had demolition charges placed all round the internal structure a plane fly into the side of it :)

1 minute ago, One percent said:

Duh, well no.  It hasn’t had demolition charges placed all round the internal structure a plane fly into the side of it :)

I will get suspicious once the beeb reports the building has collapsed before it actually collapses.

18 minutes ago, montecristo said:

It depends on who has insured it and whether or not they've emptied any vaults in it ahead of time.

6 minutes ago, dgul said:

Helicopters have their uses, but using them to avoid traffic seems dumb to me.

Yep, the trick is to avoid traffic and buildings.

6 minutes ago, The Masked Tulip said:

Pilot died sadly. So what do we think:

Sick pilot?

Technical problems?

Weather?

Someone who could not fly nicked a helicopter?

Passenger grabbling with pilot?

A pizza box jammed the controls?

Mechanical failure and there as a landing pad on the top of the building which they attempted to land on.  Other than that, I go with the fighting dwarves. 

35 minutes ago, dgul said:

Helicopters have their uses, but using them to avoid traffic seems dumb to me.

In Sao Paulo and Rio it's a way for the rich to avoid being kidnapped or murdered in the streets. The US is going the same way IMO.

2 minutes ago, Dipsy said:

Technical problems/pilot cock up I reckon, aren't helicopters quite difficult amongst sky scrapers on account of air currents?

The visibility looked dire and that kind of weather could have been playing all sorts of havoc sending helos up, then dropping them down.

But if he had a problem the obvious thing would be to try and land ASAP. Not carry on and try to climb over some of the tallest buildings in one of the most congested cities.

If it was not for that video you might suspect him clipping the building upon landing. But he wasn't doing normal stuff at the start of it.

1 hour ago, The Masked Tulip said:

Pilot died sadly. So what do we think:

Sick pilot?

Technical problems?

Weather?

Someone who could not fly nicked a helicopter?

Passenger grabbling with pilot?

A pizza box jammed the controls?

Following social media on their phone instead of looking where they were going.