DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

MrPin

Sold my old Nikon F3, to a photography student in Embra, Scotland. Very soon found I bought another one. Proper films eh?

23 hours ago, sarahbell said:

I've got two (not exciting) film cameras to put on ebay. 

Why not take pictures with them?

On 12/06/2019 at 13:28, MrPin said:

Why not take pictures with them?

do you know how much film costs to develop?

It's not about the price, it's about the value to you. Plenty of pro photographers use digital cameras for work and film cameras for fun. 

Processing your own b+w film can be inexpensive. Usually less than £0.50 per roll. The lab I use for colour film charges £3.49 for C41 (colour negative) and £4.49 for E6 (slide film).

Using a dslr to 'scan' the negs is becoming popular. Cheap as chips once you've got the kit. 

5 hours ago, jm51 said:

It's not about the price, it's about the value to you. Plenty of pro photographers use digital cameras for work and film cameras for fun. 

Processing your own b+w film can be inexpensive. Usually less than £0.50 per roll. The lab I use for colour film charges £3.49 for C41 (colour negative) and £4.49 for E6 (slide film).

Using a dslr to 'scan' the negs is becoming popular. Cheap as chips once you've got the kit. 

I think that's right. The fact you only have a limited number of shots on a film, encourages better composition. And you get to keep them in a suitcase in the loft, for future generations to wonder who those old reletives were.

Digital photos may be lost on a memory stick, and people in the future might call this "The Dark Ages"

I showed a young guy some 6x9 transparencies on a lightbox. He was amazed and spent ages looking at the detail with a loupe. I don't think he'd ever seen slides before, not even 35mm.

On 15/06/2019 at 18:07, jm51 said:

I showed a young guy some 6x9 transparencies on a lightbox. He was amazed and spent ages looking at the detail with a loupe. I don't think he'd ever seen slides before, not even 35mm.

Who does the processing for £4.49 then? I'd like to run another roll through my GSW690 at some point :) .

AG Photographic. That's E6 process only. They can scan the roll as part of the processing. An extra £4, £6 or £12 depending on what quality you want. Their prints from digital files are reasonable imo. 

https://www.ag-photographic.co.uk/photo-lab-service-11-w.asp

I've a medium format stereo camera on its way to me from EE, the Soviet era Sputnik plus viewer. Ugly bugger:

4227651888_97a4571db7.jpg

I'll be using a lot more E6 when it turns up, 6 shots per roll. :)  As I won't be needing scans with that camera, I might as well get a kit and do the processing myself.

Popuplights

Can you remember when companies like truprint had those envelopes to send your film off in. You got the prints and usually a free Fuji film back in the post. An amazing service

• 2 months later...
Happy Renting
On 15/06/2019 at 18:07, jm51 said:

That's a shame. Kids don't get out enough these days.

Do you have any photos of swings or roundabouts too?

10 hours ago, Happy Renting said:

That's a shame. Kids don't get out enough these days.

Do you have any photos of swings or roundabouts too?

Oh, don't accuse him of THAT!

Happy Renting
On 11/06/2019 at 09:11, MrPin said:

Sold my old Nikon F3, to a photography student in Embra, Scotland. Very soon found I bought another one. Proper films eh?

All your cameras are Pinhole cameras.

Happy Renting
On 19/06/2019 at 20:21, jm51 said:

AG Photographic. That's E6 process only. They can scan the roll as part of the processing. An extra £4, £6 or £12 depending on what quality you want. Their prints from digital files are reasonable imo. 

https://www.ag-photographic.co.uk/photo-lab-service-11-w.asp

I've a medium format stereo camera on its way to me from EE, the Soviet era Sputnik plus viewer. Ugly bugger:

4227651888_97a4571db7.jpg

I'll be using a lot more E6 when it turns up, 6 shots per roll. :)  As I won't be needing scans with that camera, I might as well get a kit and do the processing myself.

About 24 years ago I saw a similar stereoscopic Russian camera for sale in a Hammersmith shop. I went online and within 5 minutes had found copies of the manual in both English and Russian.

I remember that moment, because it was then I first thought 'the World Wide Web could be really handy.'

It was a bit like this, two TLRs joined together, rather than a dedicated stereo camera like the Sputnik. Now I can't find a pic of one! Teh Interweb ain't wot it used to be....

image.png.d27d4e8c413d27003f84623f105561e1.png

Archived