• Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Southmartin

Help: Shoes

Where does the DOSBODS massive suggest I purchase a new pair of shoes from?

My criteria: I need a new pair of formal shoes, black. Must be:

• Smart (to go with dark suit)
  • Comfortable
  • Good value (probably under £60 ish)
  • Comfortable (ok, I know I said that twice, but it's my most important requirement!)

Thanks in advance

3 minutes ago, Southmartin said:

Where does the DOSBODS massive suggest I purchase a new pair of shoes from?

My criteria: I need a new pair of formal shoes, black. Must be:

• Smart (to go with dark suit)
  • Comfortable
  • Good value (probably under £60 ish)
  • Comfortable (ok, I know I said that twice, but it's my most important requirement!)

Thanks in advance

What size?

Decent shoes are impossible. For proper comfortable they need to be made bespoke for your feet, which is obviously out of the question at a sensible price.

I have wide feet and off the shelf Ted Baker always seem a good bet. It's like everything though, probably changed and been penny pinched since I bought some years ago and I'm nursing them as long as possible with stick on heels and such. 

4 minutes ago, Southmartin said:

10.5 / 44

Looking at deichmann - they seem decent value

They have a few black brogues in your size for a decent price. Half the price of Amazon.

Clarks have a 50% sale on at the moment. I would opt for a pair of one of these.

https://www.clarks.co.uk/Mens/Sale/c/ukm197?q=%3Arelevance%3AsizeGroup%3Aadult%2F11%3Acolor%3A02%3AsizeGroup%3Aadult%2F10½&text=#

27 minutes ago, One percent said:

With feet that size better going for boats

I'm only 5'7" but wear wide size 11s.

And you know what they say about men with big feet.....

... well it ain't true. :(

27 minutes ago, The Masked Tulip said:

I find a lot of shoes too narrow for me with very pointy toes these days. Not healthy. If I wanted bunions I would wear stilettos.

'kin fuckin yes. They are all wrong.

28 minutes ago, sukuinage said:

I buy mine from Clarks.  Pretty hard wearing and around £50

Yep, quite comfortacle, very durable sole ( probably get a couple of thousand miles) and a wide fitting. I tend to wear walking boots all the time these days, but still have a pair of Clarkes for best. £85 retail , but in reality 30 to 40 quid come the Summer and January sale.

https://www.clarks.co.uk/c/Nature-Three/p/20339008

I am having a shoe crisis.

I did have three pairs left  - Moccasin type things, deck shoes and hiking boots.

Eldest child has nicked the deck shoes as he needs them for work.

Youngest has nicked the hiking boots as he has grown out of his and needed them for some outdoorsy stuff this week.

I think I may need to go shoe shopping sooner rather than later.

(And no, @One percent, the wellies don't count - I am not in Last of the Summer Wine just yet)

19 minutes ago, Wight Flight said:

I am having a shoe crisis.

I did have three pairs left  - Moccasin type things, deck shoes and hiking boots.

Eldest child has nicked the deck shoes as he needs them for work.

Youngest has nicked the hiking boots as he has grown out of his and needed them for some outdoorsy stuff this week.

I think I may need to go shoe shopping sooner rather than later.

(And no, @One percent, the wellies don't count - I am not in Last of the Summer Wine just yet)

I didn't know people bothered with shoes "on the island"?xD

A good pair of "proper" shoes costs £150, so there!

3 minutes ago, MrPin said:

I didn't know people bothered with shoes "on the island"?xD

A good pair of "proper" shoes costs £150, so there!

Advice to @Wight Flight.

Make sure you buy shoes that your offspring wouldn't be seen dead wearing. Otherwise just buy two/three pairs and give him/them a pair each.

Pretending to yourself that they won't take them is futile. What's yours is theirs and what's theirs is theirs, that's the way kid's minds work.

Sadly, I think most formal and casual shoes have gone the way of walking shoes and boots now - crap quality, not waterproof and most made in China.

I just did a browse of comments on the Clarks site and over on Amazon for mens formal shoes. So many comments about the shoes not being waterproof. Not a problem if you live in Arizona or Nevada but - looks out of the window at today's UK monsoon - a huge problem here.

4 minutes ago, ashestoashes said:

I don't price is a sign of a better shoe or a more comfortable shoe. Some of the most uncomfortable shoes I have tried on have been very expensive Italian things sold in Debenhams. Hard as nails with no spring or comfort in them at all.

Many shoes just seem to be very basically made - cheaply - these days often without any padding at all on the inside sole.

3 minutes ago, ashestoashes said:

Debenhams Henley Comfort range are comfortable and durable (I destroy shoes with weak soles in 6 months so this is a key point for me) and reasonable value.

I take wide 12s or normal 13s so I buy most shoes in the UK (the Swissies and Frenchies have little feet so can find very little available here).

Picked up some decent smart shoes from Office for around £50. You just have to accept like all glued shoes they'll fall apart after so long and you'll be buying another pair.

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, The Masked Tulip said:

I don't price is a sign of a better shoe or a more comfortable shoe. Some of the most uncomfortable shoes I have tried on have been very expensive Italian things sold in Debenhams. Hard as nails with no spring or comfort in them at all.

Many shoes just seem to be very basically made - cheaply - these days often without any padding at all on the inside sole.

have had ecco in the past, currently timberland walking shoes and anatomic formal shoes both very comfortable

there's a 10% of code for debenhams on hotdealsuk as well as the sale

Edited by ashestoashes

Just now, ashestoashes said:

have had ecco in the past, currently timberland walking shoes and anatomic formal shoes both very comfortable

I had a pair of ecco which lasted me years when I was doing lots of commuting around Europe. Very comfy. Pricey - about £100 back in 1999. But they were worth it.

I have since read loads of reviews that claim that the quality has gone downhill and that they are no longer worth it. Shame.