• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
steppensheep

Grumpy Old Manliness

Things you used to quite enjoy but are now a pain in the arse...

The May week fun fair  in my local park. Sure it used to be only for a week and it seemed quite nice to have a bit of excitement and livlieness. Last year I started to think it was going on for an awfully long time. Checked this year, and it goes on for 3 and a half bloody weeks. Plus two weeks setting it up and two weeks taking it down, and the paths are still covered in mud a month later. And the grass will be dead for most of the summer.

And it's just completely tacky, noisy shit that just attracts all the scum from the neighborhood. The park is normally full of families playing, people walking their dogs, frisbee throwers, slackliners (bloody impressive, they're about 60 m long and 5 m above ground), people sitting around their campfires, strumming guitars and singing songs.

There's also just been "the International festival of culture" which, despite it's name, is actually fantastic, but I cant be bothered going any more - despite the great music, great food, and great atmosphere. Instead I'm pissed of that the Library is closed, and the paths are covered in broken glass for the next few weeks.

52 minutes ago, steppensheep said:

The May week fun fair  in my local park

It's cultcheral :Old::Old:

Festivals in general.

I wasn't totally averse to the idea when I was younger but now, I literally couldn't imagine anything else I'd rather not do.

Marathon drinking sessions - My three day hangovers have put that to bed.

Posted (edited)

Agreed to go to some food and music festival ages ago "Smoked & Uncut", just realised it's this weekend and have remembered that I hate music festivals, will be bored out my mind in half hour, disgusted at how much everything costs and won't be even able to drink anyway as will probably have to drive. Fuck.

Edited by gibbon

Grumpy old Manliness? Should be a long thread on this site....

Room 101 for noisy cunt motorbike lovers zooming around twisty roads afaiac.

There are thousands of the bastards round Geneva and in neighbouring France, especially in summer. 

Don't mind about them riding around, but they actually want to disturb everyone within a mile, they deliberately choose noisy machines (and the manufacturers know this is what they want and don't build many quiet ones even though it's perfectly feasible).

FFS have some consideration and buy a quiet bike, a helmet with speakers and sit on a Sybian while you ride. Half of you are dressed like the biker from the Village People anyway so there'd be no shame or surprise involved. Cunts.

Another one for festivals. I didn’t mind them when I was younger now I’d rather have a colonoscopy than go to one.

City breaks is another. I used to quite like flying off somewhere on a Friday night and coming back Sunday afternoon in time for work the next day. Now I would find it way too much hassle.

13 minutes ago, swiss_democracy_for_all said:

Grumpy old Manliness? Should be a long thread on this site....

Room 101 for noisy cunt motorbike lovers zooming around twisty roads afaiac.

There are thousands of the bastards round Geneva and in neighbouring France, especially in summer. 

Don't mind about them riding around, but they actually want to disturb everyone within a mile, they deliberately choose noisy machines (and the manufacturers know this is what they want and don't build many quiet ones even though it's perfectly feasible).

FFS have some consideration and buy a quiet bike, a helmet with speakers and sit on a Sybian while you ride. Half of you are dressed like the biker from the Village People anyway so there'd be no shame or surprise involved. Cunts.

Get a lot of this in Swansea. They put some kind of exhaust on that generates more noise. No consideration for anyone. I find myself watching them accelerate saying to myself:

"Fall of you f*cker!"

1 minute ago, TheBlueCat said:

Another one for festivals. I didn’t mind them when I was younger now I’d rather have a colonoscopy than go to one.

City breaks is another. I used to quite like flying off somewhere on a Friday night and coming back Sunday afternoon in time for work the next day. Now I would find it way too much hassle.

The number of women who contact me on dating sites telling me that they are big into going to concerts. Geesh, they all think they are still teens.

Last thing I want now is to spend time at some concert watching a boy band or some geriatric musicians.

Just now, The Masked Tulip said:

Get a lot of this in Swansea. They put some kind of exhaust on that generates more noise. No consideration for anyone. I find myself watching them accelerate saying to myself:

"Fall of you f*cker!"

I've decided to limit myself to wishing they'd just STFU and find a quieter way of amusing themselves since a couple of weeks back when I passed the pompiers picking a dead one out of the roadside trees on a sharp bend in the Jura.

Maybe there’s something else missing in a person’s life, which at this stage is making them no longer care about things they previously enjoyed...

38 minutes ago, The Masked Tulip said:

"Fall of you f*cker!"

There was one twat where I used to live who had some kind of attachment to his exhaust that made it ungodly loud. I don't mean 'oh for fucks sake would you listen to that knob-end' loud but the sort of noise where speaking would have to be cut short, it would actually hurt your ears and the windows would rattle. 

It's probably the most antisocial thing I've ever witnessed and I've no idea how he was never done for it as it couldn't possibly have been legal and he was driving it around for years.

No kudos there IMO. Drive about on something like that and you're a straight up, obnoxious, inconsiderate cunt of the very highest of orders.

Related to motorbikes - ski jets. 

There's a nice promenade near me and can be very quiet just getting a bit of sea air. Then one bastard turns up and all you can hear is the vroom vroom noise as he goes through the waves.

39 minutes ago, NewryH said:

Related to motorbikes - ski jets. 

There's a nice promenade near me and can be very quiet just getting a bit of sea air. Then one bastard turns up and all you can hear is the vroom vroom noise as he goes through the waves.

Another machine where it's perfectly feasible to manufacture a quiet one. These people WANT to disturb everyone.

1 hour ago, TheBlueCat said:

That's interesting because I'd argue that a 14 day holiday is more cumbersome. With a weekend break you pack a small bag and are gone. Although I suspect I'm in the lucky minority who can get the Eurostar easily to Europe. Only 35 quid to Amsterdam.

Flying stresses me out no end. 

Asshats drivers who park on the pavement. Yes I know you don't want your precious car to be hit by another car but what about us pedestrians who have to squeeze by, half in the hedgerow or wheelchairs and buggies that have to go in the road. I deliberately hit their wing mirrors as hard as I can when I go by now.

Loud radios in the garden, I don't want to listen to your shit choice of music when the sun shines. I shall start retaliating with The Archers omnibus at full volume (assuming it ever stops raining)

Posted (edited)

Live music in a pub. 

You can't speak, it gets horribly hot and sweaty, the queues for the bogs and the bar resemble passengers exiting from a burning airliner, the acoustics are shit and your pint glass suddenly turns into floppy plastic. 

S' the fuckin' point?

Edited by Sgt Hartman

2 minutes ago, Sgt Hartman said:

Live music in a pub. 

You can't speak, it gets horribly hot and sweaty, the queues for the bogs and the bar resemble passengers exiting from a burning airliner, the acoustics are shit and your pint glass suddenly turns into floppy plastic. 

S' the fuckin' point?

If there's space for it, band is good and they are not too loud - I don't mind it. But yes most are of the version you describe and brutal. 

1 hour ago, swiss_democracy_for_all said:

Another machine where it's perfectly feasible to manufacture a quiet one. These people WANT to disturb everyone.

Depends how stupid it is some aftermarket exhausts are added for increased performance or noise but in most cases I would swap the factory one for an aftermarket to increase the noise so car drivers can hear you.

I do realise how annoying bikes can be I was in a pub garden the other week. enjoying the sunshine, and a couple of motocross bikes in the adjacent field were incredibly irritating.

In any case, I'm surprised there are that many bikers speeding around Switzerland as it's very intolerant of speeding there.

Has Euro 4 and 5 had an impact? More bikes now going for after market exhausts? 

The fines in switerzland for speeding are serious O.o

18 minutes ago, SNACR said:

Depends how stupid it is some aftermarket exhausts are added for increased performance or noise but in most cases I would swap the factory one for an aftermarket to increase the noise so car drivers can hear you.

I do realise how annoying bikes can be I was in a pub garden the other week. enjoying the sunshine, and a couple of motocross bikes in the adjacent field were incredibly irritating.

In any case, I'm surprised there are that many bikers speeding around Switzerland as it's very intolerant of speeding there.

Yeah it's a lot worse in neighbouring France - ironically a lot of the bikers are Swiss, they go into France to ride where the legal risks are lower! The video above made me laugh, you can get bigger fines than that even (4000chf) if you're wealthy as it's income-based.....

Why do you want car drivers to hear you btw? I'm assuming you ride with headlights on permanently so you are seen easily?

1 minute ago, swiss_democracy_for_all said:

Yeah it's a lot worse in neighbouring France - ironically a lot of the bikers are Swiss, they go into France to ride where the legal risks are lower! The video above made me laugh, you can get bigger fines than that even (4000chf) if you're wealthy as it's income-based.....

Why do you want car drivers to hear you btw? I'm assuming you ride with headlights on permanently so you are seen easily?

It's for when you're passing in outside lanes or filtering in slow traffic rather than junctions etc.

On 12/06/2019 at 14:44, TheBlueCat said:

This. 

Used to like festivals when younger now I can't thinkof anything more horrendous