• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

One percent

What’s your favourite food?

3 minutes ago, dillinger said:

Never seen the point in a Yorkshire Pudding.

Is it an English thing?

( N. Ireland here. )

Point of it is to fill you up so the meat goes further. The traditional way of eating it is as a starter. Yum. Beats all that fancy crap like prawn cocktail or pate. 

I love all of them apart from jellied eels which are “proper minging”. 

Smoked eel is as delicious as anything on God’s green Earth, so why anyone would take an eel and turn it into jellied eels is baffling to me.

Posted (edited)

Nothing on that graphic that I could class as heinous and wouldn't eat, but there is also nothing there that I would class as a favourite.

Edited by Hopeful

50 minutes ago, Sgt Hartman said:

Haggis is food of the gods, same with black pudding. 

I was about to say similar; that "worst" tier would be my favourite foods; bar jellied eels. I always buy and freeze loads of haggis when Lidl has it in for Burns' Night.

Though I haven't tried laver bread I do like the sound of it.

Maybe people just like bland food.

1 hour ago, dillinger said:

Never seen the point in a Yorkshire Pudding.

Is it an English thing?

( N. Ireland here. )

Yes..  originally called dripping pudding and made everywhere in England,  it was just a way to make  additional food from the left over dripping using a bit of wheat flour.

The rest of us just let those Yorkshire folk think they invented it.  

But they didn’t.

Don’t tell @One percent

3 minutes ago, Libspero said:

Yes..  originally called dripping pudding and made everywhere in England,  it was just a way to make  additional food from the left over dripping using a bit of wheat flour.

The rest of us just let those Yorkshire folk think they invented it.  

But they didn’t.

Don’t tell @One percent

Bugger off. Did so. :PxD

18 minutes ago, sarahbell said:

Full english yes but black pudding no?

Baffling really.

Though when you read the way that it has been done then it makes more sense.  They selected thirty popular British dishes and asked people if they liked them.

Instead of best and worst it's actually ranking up from popular to most popular.  It's asking what people like rather than what they dislike.  There was always going to be a low rating for laver bread because very few people have ever tatsed it, I haven't, so it seems an odd one to include in the first place.  Haggis is also suffering from the same effect - most people have never tried it.

Whilst the story isn't lying it is very misleading and if it was least favourite foods it would look hugely different with things like beetroot, pickled onions and kidneys in the lowest tier.  All of which I like but I know many people dislike.

There's a massive quality issue which hasn't been mentioned as well - many of those foods are completely inedible when poor quality and delicious when good quality. As good examples - Cornish pasties are 95% disgusting, but occasionally superb, and yorkshire puddings are 90% chewy tasteless shite but brilliant when made by an expert and eaten very quickly.

The only foods there that are always disgusting are scotch eggs and jellied eels.

1 minute ago, swiss_democracy_for_all said:

There's a massive quality issue which hasn't been mentioned as well - many of those foods are completely inedible when poor quality and delicious when good quality. As good examples - Cornish pasties are 95% disgusting, but occasionally superb, and yorkshire puddings are 90% chewy tasteless shite but brilliant when made by an expert and eaten very quickly.

The only foods there that are always disgusting are scotch eggs and jellied eels.

Yes. Local butchers round by me make their own pork pies.   This one is especially good

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowUserReviews-g940871-d10496357-r401972443-Jacksons_Butchers-Ruswarp_Whitby_Scarborough_District_North_Yorkshire_England.html

they make a ‘flat’ pie which is dinner plate size and thinner than a traditional pie. They will sell it by the slice. A pice large enough for a meal is just over a quid. 

Fresh out the oven it really is food of the gods. 

Just now, swiss_democracy_for_all said:

Proper ones are fantastic when bought from the bakery at which they are made on the day that they are made.  Most towns in Cornwall have such a shop and they are all very good such that I won't single any out.

If you buy plastic wrapped ones from motorway service stations or corner shops, such as the ones Ginsters do, then you are effectively buying a crescent shaped steak slice with its only commonality to a proper Cornish pastie being its shape and range of ingredients; albeit now seriously low qaulity and minced into a babyfood-like consistency.

This is one area where you get what you pay for.  I bought three for £1.50 in Lidl once and they were terrible.  But what can you reasonably expect for a 50p pasty?

Strange picture for laver bread, it is like a lump of shiny wet black slime.

They collect it from the beaches around here.

I find it particularly good with curry powder in it.

Most people find it absolutely revolting, after all it is just seaweed.

8 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

Proper ones are fantastic when bought from the bakery at which they are made on the day that they are made.  Most towns in Cornwall have such a shop and they are all very good such that I won't single any out.

If you buy plastic wrapped ones from motorway service stations or corner shops, such as the ones Ginsters do, then you are effectively buying a crescent shaped steak slice with its only commonality to a proper Cornish pastie being its shape and range of ingredients; albeit now seriously low qaulity and minced into a babyfood-like consistency.

This is one area where you get what you pay for.  I bought three for £1.50 in Lidl once and they were terrible.  But what can you reasonably expect for a 50p pasty?

Pasties, sausage rolls, etc, are pretty gross in Wales. Some people in Wales have become seriously wealthy selling pasties. If you go to somewhere like Cornwall or Yorkshire the different in quality is enough to make a grown man weep. There is in no incentive in my part of the UK for most things to improve - and that goes as far as even the humble pasty and sausage roll.

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, Byron said:

Strange picture for laver bread, it is like a lump of shiny wet black slime.

They collect it from the beaches around here.

I find it particularly good with curry powder in it.

Most people find it absolutely revolting, after all it is just seaweed.

I looked at that image and it didn't even register to me as being lavabread. This is what you want... with lashings of a decent brown sauce.

Edit:

...and a sodding fried egg! Where is the sodding egg!?

149050i5560BB9B3680F7C6?v=1.0

Edited by The Masked Tulip

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, The Masked Tulip said:

I looked at that image and it didn't even register to me as being lavabread. This is what you want... with lashings of a decent brown sauce.

149050i5560BB9B3680F7C6?v=1.0

I haven't been to Wales for years (it is a long way) but that picture alone has me considering a weekend trip.

Edit - and it has also decided me: bacon for lunch.

Edited by Frank Hovis

I think some of the simplest things in life are amongst the best. Poached egg on toast when it is done just right is near enough perfection for me. Ditto for cheese on toast or a simple boiled egg sarnie. Although there is no health benefit or nutrient in it a quality soft white bap for a bacon butty can be divine.