• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Dave Bloke

Work to you drop, Macron tells French

In a move widely anticipated but none the less shocking (for the French) Macron has basically told the French to work till they drop. The state retirement age has been scrapped. In theory you can still retire from 62 as at present with 42 years of contributions into the system but the reality is that the French will have to work into their late 60s like other European states, or longer. In a major shakeup to the pension system contributors will earn "points" - lets call them "peanuts" for want of a better word.  When you retire your peanuts will be converted into a pension - you will only find out how much each peanut is worth at retirement. There are all kinds of rules about how many hours you have to work each quarter to get your peanuts, it will be difficult to game the system for slackers doing casual work.

When I think a colleague of mine who retired a few weeks ago was moaning away about working to 59!

Just now, Dave Bloke said:

In a move widely anticipated but none the less shocking (for the French) Macron has basically told the French to work till they drop. The state retirement age has been scrapped. In theory you can still retire from 62 as at present with 42 years of contributions into the system but the reality is that the French will have to work into their late 60s like other European states, or longer. In a major shakeup to the pension system contributors will earn "points" - lets call them "peanuts" for want of a better word.  When you retire your peanuts will be converted into a pension - you will only find out how much each peanut is worth at retirement. There are all kinds of rules about how many hours you have to work each quarter to get your peanuts, it will be difficult to game the system for slackers doing casual work.

When I think a colleague of mine who retired a few weeks ago was moaning away about working to 59!

it will be busy on Saturday, have the cops been paid that back overtime yet?

4 minutes ago, Oskar said:

it will be busy on Saturday, have the cops been paid that back overtime yet?

they got a bonus, the back overtime will be paid in.... you guessed it, peanuts!

1 minute ago, Dave Bloke said:

they got a bonus, the back overtime will be paid in.... you guessed it, peanuts!

The man is a true sun king

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, Virgil Caine said:

The basic State Pension is much more generous than the UK version and both employers and employees contributions look to be much less than in the UK.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pensions_in_France

The basic state pension is about the same as the UK. You may be talking about the SERPS component.

Le montant du minimum contributif entier est fixé à 636,56 euros par mois en 2019 ou 7 638,78 € par an en 2019.

My French NI is over 20%, employer's social contributions are massive. I think from my base salary of 4000 euros a month 2300 goes to the govt. I'll check the exact figures a bit later.

Edited by Dave Bloke

23 minutes ago, Dave Bloke said:

The basic state pension is about the same as the UK. You may be talking about the SERPS component.

Le montant du minimum contributif entier est fixé à 636,56 euros par mois en 2019 ou 7 638,78 € par an en 2019.

My French NI is over 20%, employer's social contributions are massive. I think from my base salary of 4000 euros a month 2300 goes to the govt. I'll check the exact figures a bit later.

Brown **almost* go UKGOV spend to French levels.

Spent it on the same thing - bennies.

Funny sort of French Solidarity where the noncivil servant pays half their income to support most of North Africa on benefits and a bloated public sector, retiring early.

Np point pissing around the the small number of private sector workers when the problem lies with the migrant and state sector.

It sounds reasonable to set out this now, rather than the UK's approach of slow-boil where retirement is 'forever 30 years away' and decreasingly viable*.

[* for people who have actually bothered to work]

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, spygirl said:

Brown **almost* go UKGOV spend to French levels.

Spent it on the same thing - bennies.

Funny sort of French Solidarity where the noncivil servant pays half their income to support most of North Africa on benefits and a bloated public sector, retiring early.

Np point pissing around the the small number of private sector workers when the problem lies with the migrant and state sector.

If they are spending more than we do per capita, surprising that there are 570 shanty towns in France against zero here; must be a case of all or nothing for those Africans. Brits are a bit touchy about their environment and will throw a lot of money to try and keep cities clean and that means guaranteed housing for all comers. Periodic social housing refurbs alone cost 100k per family in London apparently. More than many indigenous families see spent on them in a lifetime.

Edited by crashmonitor

The French people are always looking to the government to solve the problems created by government. This is going to end with France having the same standard of living as the African states their new poopulatjon is coming from.

25 minutes ago, crashmonitor said:

If they are spending more than we do per capita, surprising that there are 570 shanty towns in France against zero here; must be a case of all or nothing for those Africans. Brits are a bit touchy about their environment and will throw a lot of money to try and keep cities clean and that means guaranteed housing for all comers. Periodic social housing refurbs alone cost 100k per family in London apparently. More than many indigenous families see spent on them in a lifetime.

The French social protection system is complex, very complex. It's easy for someone to be in dire straits, but not meet exactly the criteria - and so they get nothing. Or, they just can't make sense of the convoluted application forms.

E.g. an anecdote: our son is (slightly) autistic, so we get a monthly cheque from .gov.fr to help pay for his special teachers. The last time my wife sent off the application form + photocopies of supporting documents, it ran to 42 pages. On the other hand, we know parents with kids that are a lot "more" autistic than ours - and they get pennies compared to us. Because they don't have the time/the ability to fill in all the paperwork with exactly the right answers & the relevant supporting documentation.

8 minutes ago, One percent said:

I’m guessing that the gilets jaunes movement was going off the boil with fewer people turning up.  This is macaroons cunning way of triggering them all back into action. :)

Good spot!

18 minutes ago, Dave Bloke said:

Just for info here are my figures:

basic salary: 3600

social contribution paid by company: 1000

my social contributins: 600

tax : 250

net salary 1750

So that't 1850 going to the govt.

What are social contributions?

1 minute ago, Dave Bloke said:

NI

Employers' NI at 30%?

That's a level of tax on jobs that I didn't think I'd see.

Relocating work out of France is going to be the best way for any French company to materially improve its profitability with that level of theft going on.

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

For which you get your bins emptied and the roads patched.

Good innit.

The garbage tax is separate and on top but they do empty the bins 3 times a week.

edited to add: also the bin men don’t get cunty about what you throw out, they will take extra bags you’ve left by the bin etc. Far more civilised than the rest of the French. 

Edited by assetrichcashpoor

31 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

For which you get your bins emptied and the roads patched.

Good innit.

Not round here. We've got to take our trash to communal bins 500m away... and that in town.

25 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

Employers' NI at 30%?

Relocating work out of France is going to be the best way for any French company to materially improve its profitability with that level of theft going on.

That's one reason unemployment is high. Renault now build 80% of their cars outside France.

Posted (edited)

I have suggested somthing similar here, but impo more polically intelligent, retire 1 year early for every X years contributions. Which can be sold here with retirement age already high 60s so they are giving something back. (after taking)

Edited by snaga

2 hours ago, Frank Hovis said:

Employers' NI at 30%?

Never known a company that moved into France and stayed or was pleased about it.  Nightmare.