• Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Turned Out Nice Again

Syrian Food Ration Challenge

Posted (edited)

There's a lot of this knocking about on FaceAche at the moment and it's all seems a bit bogus and virtue-signally to me.
https://actforpeace.rationchallenge.org.au/the-challenge/the-rations-explained/

Unboxing videos lament the paucity of the box contents - the intended optics.

home_rations_23.jpg

BUT ... many fail to mention the 2 included "coupons" which add another 1.5Kg of rice and 400g of flour to make up the ration to >1700KCal / day - not a feast but neither is it starvation.

Perhaps we should all be on the Syrian refugee diet ... for our health!

Edited by Turned Out Nice Again

Regardless the calories..  that's a pretty bland diet.

It's basically boiled rice and lentils all week,  with a tin of sardines on Sunday to celebrate  :/

Could've at least thrown then in some salt, spices, chilli, garlic powder etc.  Perhaps swapped the tin of kidney beans for chicken spam or something and maybe some tinned veggies.

In places like the Middle East there is a fair amount of poverty that's not visible to the casual visitor - remember there is no welfare state. It wasn't that long ago that even in Europe meat was an occasional treat.

I see stories like this and I have to admit my reaction is "so what". Out of all the shit that has happened in that part of the world a bland die really is at the bottom of the list. 

13 minutes ago, Great Guy said:

In places like the Middle East there is a fair amount of poverty that's not visible to the casual visitor - remember there is no welfare state. It wasn't that long ago that even in Europe meat was an occasional treat.

I see stories like this and I have to admit my reaction is "so what". Out of all the shit that has happened in that part of the world a bland die really is at the bottom of the list. 

Perhaps..  but there is a reason army's always keep their soldiers well fed.   They know how important it is to moral.

1 hour ago, Turned Out Nice Again said:

There's a lot of this knocking about on FaceAche at the moment and it's all seems a bit bogus and virtue-signally to me.
https://actforpeace.rationchallenge.org.au/the-challenge/the-rations-explained/

Unboxing videos lament the paucity of the box contents - the intended optics.

home_rations_23.jpg

BUT ... many fail to mention the 2 included "coupons" which add another 1.5Kg of rice and 400g of flour to make up the ration to >1700KCal / day - not a feast but neither is it starvation.

Perhaps we should all be on the Syrian refugee diet ... for our health!

Hmmm.... with the right marketing it could be a goer. Off to check some likely domain names, brb.

11 minutes ago, Libspero said:

Perhaps..  but there is a reason army's always keep their soldiers well fed.   They know how important it is to moral.

Famously the Japanses in the war survived on a handful of rice a day.

It's training and will that makes the soldier; not haute cusine.

Hard to say.

Its almost what they get

https://www.slideshare.net/mobile/Devex/wfp-food-aid-package-for-syria-crisis

The aim is 1700 kcal/day.

Bear in mind this is the base food, designed to keep refugees ticking over. There be extras to buy - spices fresh veg etc etc.

Bar the fish, which i dont eat, and chickpeas, which i hate, thats the pretty much the base of my diet. I tend to have fruit n veg on top though.

1 minute ago, Frank Hovis said:

Oh, the French. Right.

spacer.png

For a moment I wondered what the yellow thing was, then I realized the image depicts a cheese-eating surrender monkey.

7 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

Compo’s (composite ration packs) were notoriously poor and only consumed when the alternative was going without. However, no matter how arduous the circumstances, we always tried to get proper scoff to the Toms when on deployments. Getting a hot meal does make a huge difference.

43 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

I'm not dying for a handful of rice..   I'm off to hide and dine with the French while some other dumb schmucks take care of the Germans  ;)